Which dry glove system is 'best'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Could you please post a link or picture of what you are referring to? I was not aware that Bare had their own system. A quick google search pulled up what looks like rebadged Si-Tech products:
Quick cuff platform (QCP) round wrist rings and the Quick Glove dryglove system.

The Quick Glove system is not highly recommended. The Glove Lock dryglove system is compatible with the QCP wrist ring system.

-Z

This was at the Bare website Dry Gloves Set - BARE Sports

A set of the new Rolock 90 system is on the way to me to test and review. I am very excited to check it out as it looks to bring together some great features that look to be an improvement on what is currently on the market. More to follow once it arrives and I have the chance to check it out.

-Z

This was at the Bare website Dry Gloves Set - BARE Sports

Yup, that is the Si-Tech Quick Glove dryglove system designed to integrate with the Si-Tech QCP wrist rings. It is a press fit system. The scalloped ring is designed to to turn to separate the glove rings from the cuff rings when taking the gloves off after a dive.

The sealing o-ring is what retains the system together in use. While I have no direct experience with the Quick Glove system, I have read is that some divers have had the system leak and/or separate while under water. I believe there is a lack of popularity for the Quick Glove system due to the potential of this happening.

Sometime after releasing this system, Si-Tech introduced the Glove Lock dryglove system which mounts on the same QCP cuff ring system as the Quick Glove system. The major difference is the Glove Lock system has a bayonet type lock-ring to retain the two halves of the system together in use instead of the press fit of the sealing o-ring.

Si-Tech has used the general design of the Glove Lock system in their Virgo dryglove system for the QCS Oval wrist rings, and the Oberon for their Slaggo wrist rings.

I have a set of the Glove Lock system and the Virgo System in our arsenal...both work well, with the only notable issue is that these 2 systems are little bulky....The Glove Lock system came on my wife's first drysuit and the Virgo on her second drysuit. My wife is 5ft 2in tall and her hands are rather small....the rings of these two systems eclipse her hands. For me the size of the rings is less dramatic in comparison to the size of my hands and wrists so this is much less of an issue for me. My wife currently has as set of Waterproof Ultima DGS mounted on her drysuit but has not had the chance to dive with it yet due to covid-19 restriction causing the local dive sites to be closed. I have quite a number of dives using the Ultima DGS and it works well, but it is primarily designed for the Si-Tech QCS oval wrist/cuff ring system.

-Z

Quick Glove system, I have read is that some divers have had the system leak and/or separate while under water
The first can happen, but you feel it upon getting into the water - just have to reattach the system, as the water comes through sealing o-ring which was moved from its place.
The second - never. You have to rotate the ring to deattach the system.

BTW, the "Quick Clamp" setup that is referred to on the Bare website is also a SI-tech Product.

The "Quick Clamp" is designed to be attached to latex wrist seals that are glued to a drysuit's cuffs. The latex seal is folded over a spanner ring and then pressed into the Quick Clamp ring, here is a picture of the components of the quick clamp system. It is sold separate from the Quick Glove system but makes it so the Quick Glove system can be used with drysuit with glued on latex seals.

s?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_0nQx0uD05ZrZfllfhMW8P3Ev07jiG72c5WyFqGy2pTO-2O_yIQc8_h1Xkl5O3d9LvOpviFo&usqp=CAc.jpg

The blue gloves attached to the rings in the picture at the Bare website link you posted (also pasted below) are SHOWA/Atlast model 495 gloves. They are a triple dipped PVC coated glove that are flocked with cotton on the interior. They come together with a pair of removable acrylic glove liners (under-gloves). This is glove model is fairly ubiquitous and is commonly referred to as "smurf gloves" due to the blue color:

DRY_GLOVE-SYSTEM0292.png

-Z

The first can happen, but you feel it upon getting into the water - just have to reattach system, as the water comes through sealing o-ring which was moved from its place.
The second - never. You have to rotate the ring to deattach system

Thanks for the clarification...As I mentioned in my post that you quoted I have no direct experience with the Quick Glove system, and was only passing on things that I have read and heard.

Here is a video posted by Dive Zone Scuba, a member of this board, who implies the system can inadvertently pop apart in their comparison review of different dryglove systems. The mention of this is at approximately the 1:38 mark in the video.

-Z

Here is a video of the installation of the Quick Clamp system....it does not show the initial insertion of the colored spanner ring into the latex seal, but the guy mentions that he is using the blue spanner ring. The rest of the video shows how the system goes together and how the gloves are attached to the Quick Glove rings and then pressed onto the Quick Clamp.

The gloves used in the video are the SHOWA/Atlas model 660 gloves...they are similar to the the SHOWA/Atlas model 495 gloves mentioned previously, but do not come from SHOWA with a liner glove and have a scallop cut edge on the glove cuff where the 495 has a more finished cuff edge.

-Z

I have in fact never made a complete dive with the sitech quick glove system without incident. That is because at least one of the gloves always popped off enough to leak before I ended the dive. I made many dives where the gloves completely popped off multiple times before I even entered the water. Squatting down to purge your suit of excess air can make them pop off. A giant stride could make them pop off. It became a huge inconvenience. I have also had them disengage ascending and climbing a ladder.

Because there is nothing holding on the gloves except the friction from very small orIngs, it is very easy to have any movement of the glove cause it to disengage. Because of the Non-mechanical engagement method, you can’t really expect it to hold well. This mechanism is nothing like the diving concepts / ultima / kubi systems which use much larger orings that snap into place and are much more secure.

The disappointing inability of the quick glove system in my experience led me to quickly switch to the glovelock system. I used that Yugo for a number of years with mostly success, until I discovered, the Mercedes of glove systems, the rolock.

The absolute worst system I ever tried was the Si-Tech Antares oval ring system. I had two glove side rings break trying to install them. When I finally did get the gloves set up, the little tabs would release every time I reached for anything or climbed up a ladder. I was so happy when the Ultima system was finally released.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom