Paralyzing anxiety at first ... then love it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any advice? I'm taking the class with my 13 yo daughter so I really don't want to ruin her dive experience (she loves the class and has had no problems). Thank you!

Talk to your daughter and the staff about your concerns, your feelings may change by the time of the Keys!

Is it wise to place yourself in a potentially paralysing situation for your daughter who needs you the most

I agree with the more pool time and just relaxing in the pool not having to do skills / being evaluated. I taught swim lessons for many years and for some who are anxious in the water (both adults and children) it is like switch goes off one day and their anxiety is greatly diminished. For others it is a longer more gradual process. But in both cases more play/fun don't worry about the instructor judging your technique time definitely helps.

An instead of searching for hair balls (gross - but I've seen much worse in a pool) bring a handful of small coins. Have someone else scatter them about the pool and go searching for them.

And good luck and good diving!

I would echo most of the comments above.

A few things I particularly would think about:
1) Before you get in the pool, sit down and give yourself a few minutes to just chill out with some relaxation exercises and deep breathing
2) Make sure your instructor is not pushing you to rush things. A good instructor will let you have the time you need. Most tasks can be carried out slowly and methodically (even the lost reg drill - if you can't find it initially, you can go on to your octo while you find it).
3) As a number of people have said, anxiety normally takes a while to build. If you feel it build, take a moment to stop what you are doing and concentrate on nice long breaths.
4) Spend more time in the pool relaxing with SCUBA gear on - get someone to throw some pool toys in that you have to retrieve or play a game under water. It is amazing how easy things can be when not focused on tasks. I found this very useful as my instructor had a lawn dart type item that he we kept passing between us and it made me think less about focusing on perfect buoyancy & skills and more on having fun. It took me completely out of my own head if you know what I mean.

Scuba IMHO should always be on the basis that anyone can call dives at any time - if you aren't "feeling it" then surface safely and take a break. As Gareth says it is always better to be on the surface wishing you were underwater than underwater wishing you were on the surface.

One thing I have noticed on this forum is the amount of divers that have had some struggles to start with but have transformed into amazing divers with some experience behind them.

At the risk of making a total asseth of myselfeth, would you all mind a bit of a different take from a bonifide "newbie."

I just breezed through my OWD and my AOWD in about a month's time. Experience-wise, I'd been a Water Safety Instructor for about 10 years, training and certifying life guards at various levels. Suffice it to say, I know my way around a puddle.

Nonetheless, to my personal horror, like NL_FL, I was panicked when I went for my first pool session. The instructor was really cool and allowed me much extra time to get as comfortable as possible with the breathing, skills, etc...

Still, a bit terrified to go open water, I asked for another pool session. All went well.

Trying to avoid that dreaded OW, I asked for a 3rd...well, my instructor said NO! He explained to me 3 things.

1. Nothing compares with OW. I could have 100 pool sessions and the world will still seem totally anew, once I hit the OW...Open water diving can be compared to NOTHING! :)

2. He's been diving 30 years, instructing for 15, and he's never lost a diver, and he never will.

3. OW training take place in about 25-35 feet. No danger of DCS. Worst case scenario (of which he's had none in 15 years), he grabs me and we head to the surface.

On dive day, as expected, I was a bit anxious, more than anything, for fear of looking like a total knucklehead, in front of two 15 year old girls, who were taking the class with me...hahaha...and they throught the whole experience was a real hoot...

I suited up. Sitting on boat's edge. Tightly held mask and reg to face. Fell in backwards. Floated, as predicted, with BC fully inflated. Slightly deflated BC to become a bit neg bouyant. Stuck my head under water and started BREATHING. Long and deep. It was fun! LOL, Enjoying it so much,I thought I was going to exhause my air supply before we even descended...

Anyway, that whole dat, I didn't even think about the pool sessions...the anxiety...the whatever! Everyone's psychological makeup is different, agreed...But, my encouragement...Own the ocean. Jump in. Start breathing. The whole science of SCUBA will be come clear enough, soon enough...

I'll let myself out. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom