Advanced penetration of the Spiegel Grove Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get that you are probably skimming the thread so I'll cut you a break for getting this one wrong. I didn't have about 300 psi at the safety stop. That's what remained in my MAIN tank. I had plenty more in the 30 cf pony bottle.

Proper gas management on this dive you should have about 1200 psi in your backgas when you are on the boat, plus that 30. Do the math, figure out how much gas you need to get you and your buddy off the bottom in 90' of water (and out of the wreck), including any deco (or minimum deco), using proper ascent rates and estimates for the elevated SAC rates of both divers.

I can wait to read about this again in the accident and near miss section. Hopefully I won’t have to but.....
upload_2020-11-22_16-7-9.png

Yeah, was mostly joking about being a footnote in his legacy. And as constructive as I want to be, what a friggin' arrogant fool.

actually im a little taken aback hes been banned ? what purpose has it served ?

One thing that comes to mind is his insistence on advocating quite unsafe practices, no matter what input he got. If a newbie jumped in and just read his posts and did not get the entire context and overwhelming sentiment of the thread, it could cause serious problems for that newbie. One reason to immediately jump on and react negatively to "bad practices" is trying to mitigate the spread of nonsense.

I can wait to read about this again in the accident and near miss section. Hopefully I won’t have to but.....
Sadly, it may be about one of his buddies.
Hopefully none of them.

I am no longer on staff, so I don't know why he was banned. It could have been for a post he made that as seen and deleted immediately by a mod, before anyone else saw it. It could be that a moderator was trying to keep him in line through private messages, and that did not go well. The mods will almost never tell you why someone was banned, and that can sadly lead to unfortunate consequences, because there is nothing governing what the banned person says to others about it, which is frequently either a lie or a misunderstanding. What happens then is the people who were misinformed spread that misinformation on ScubaBoard. There was one case in particular in which a popular guy got banned for a long history of violations and suspensions, including attacks on me. He told his friends he was banned because I didn't like him and insisted on it, but that was absolutely not true. The story stuck with those friends, though, and over the years they kept bringing up the story about how that poor, guiltless, pure-as-the-driven-snow exemplar of posting perfection was banned because of an evil whim of boulderjohn.

So, if the mods want to tell you why he was banned, they will, but they probably won't. If you hear a reason from anyone else, including especially the guy who got banned, there is a good chance it is not true, and repeating it can be harmful.

Thread ban is the usual punishment. Total forum ban must mean that he got a bit too bolshi with someone who could do something about it.

Wait...whut??? First the mod was basically telling everyone to chill about this guy a few posts back and then poof, he is banned from the board? I'm confused.

Can someone PM me to inform me what happened here?

-Z

If I had to venture a guess, the moderators figured out the identity of the original poster. And he is not 29 years old! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom