Shuttles from airport - any changes due to COVID?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How far is that off airport walk? I have a local driver i use and probably will text him for pickup...

How far is that off airport walk? I have a local driver i use and probably will text him for pickup...

You know as you pull out of the airport, there's that big roundabout right in front of you - cross that roundabout and Diego's Taco is down maybe 100' on Ave 65. The airport exit is Aeropuerto Blvd and 65.

I'm a big fan of using the shuttles verses doing the taxi thing but if they aren't adhering to the 50% thing - I'd like to see everyone walk right past them, maybe they'll figure it out. The walk sucks in August LOL, December not so bad....

So me and the wife aren't going anywhere for a while -- we have our first trip tentatively scheduled for September 2021, assuming the vaccines are in widespread distribution and the pandemic has been been wrestled to the ground by then. I figure we have about a 50/50 chance of that trip happening (everything I'm booking is fully cancelable and refundable). That trip is not to Cozumel, it'll be a non-diving trip and we're headed for someplace we figure has managed the pandemic well.

But, last night we were talking about the next trip after that. We both agreed a dive trip would be ideal, early in 2022. I suggested Cozumel (we like going in February), but she was somewhat reluctant, being unconvinced that Cozumel (and all of Mexico) could be "trusted" for pandemic control. Reading this thread will surely confirm her worst fears.

The idiots running the airport shuttles will do way more damage to their business by cramming in people in an unsafe and irresponsible way. Take the virus seriously, treat my life with some respect, be responsible for stopping the pandemic, and we will come sooner. So will others. Be stupid and irresponsible, cram people together in violation of the law and any common sense, and we will go somewhere else where we feel our lives are valued. I don't need Cozumel that much.

Please tell the brilliant shuttle drivers cramming in people shoulder-to-shoulder that maybe we'll see them in 2023. Maybe.

So me and the wife aren't going anywhere for a while -- we have our first trip tentatively scheduled for September 2021, assuming the vaccines are in widespread distribution and the pandemic has been been wrestled to the ground by then. I figure we have about a 50/50 chance of that trip happening (everything I'm booking is fully cancelable and refundable). That trip is not to Cozumel, it'll be a non-diving trip and we're headed for someplace we figure has managed the pandemic well.

But, last night we were talking about the next trip after that. We both agreed a dive trip would be ideal, early in 2022. I suggested Cozumel (we like going in February), but she was somewhat reluctant, being unconvinced that Cozumel (and all of Mexico) could be "trusted" for pandemic control. Reading this thread will surely confirm her worst fears.

The idiots running the airport shuttles will do way more damage to their business by cramming in people in an unsafe and irresponsible way. Take the virus seriously, treat my life with some respect, be responsible for stopping the pandemic, and we will come sooner. So will others. Be stupid and irresponsible, cram people together in violation of the law and any common sense, and we will go somewhere else where we feel our lives are valued. I don't need Cozumel that much.

Please tell the brilliant shuttle drivers cramming in people shoulder-to-shoulder that maybe we'll see them in 2023. Maybe.

Everyone is certainly entitled to their own feelings - I only ask this, don't judge the whole island by the actions of the ferry and shuttle companies - they are Federal and out of Pedro's reach. Most here might not know it, but there's a small store on Federal property, small like package store, sells food and beer - way back when we had curfew and beer sale restrictions - they did whatever they wanted. It's really sad that 99% of this island can be judged by the actions of less than 1%.

Pedro has really kept after things - the police are quick to act when there's issues (tourist and like stolen scooters), and they just flat out will slap stickers on a business and shut them down for not following COVID policies. Examples - I've seen stores closed, the bodega next to Sams club, they even shut Ultramar (ferry company) offices down for 30 days and it's mostly employees only in there. The city here really doesn't play around, if it's brought to their attention - it's pretty rare now that you hear of issues, everyone got the point months ago.

Who knows what next week or month will bring (I worry more about American tourists coming here verses the locals), but today, while being open at 60% and hosting these big triathalon events - the active case COVID levels for the entire state of Q Roo are BELOW the levels they were at when we reopened back in June. Back in May we had huge restrictions, today, nowhere near as much - the local people get it, they understand it.

According to Google Earth, the distance from the airport door to the center of the traffic circle is 232 yards. Incidentally, I use Google Earth a lot in my work and I find its measurements to be very accurate.

According to Google Earth, the distance from the airport door to the center of the traffic circle is 232 yards. Incidentally, I use Google Earth a lot in my work and I find its measurements to be very accurate.
I had a rolling suit case and my dive duffel balanced on the top. It took my wife and I more than five but less than ten to walk to the other side of the traffic circle. Little warm but not bad. A few minutes in the taxi with the back windows rolled down and all was good.

And some people love to bash Americans for not wearing masks... Always the ugly Americans visiting Coz not wearing masks, drinking too much, making idiots of themselves, etc. Is not wearing a mask really much worse than having the Coz taxi union blatantly defy capacity restrictions on the airport vans and ferries to/from the mainland cramming them to full capacity? Personally I'll be wearing a mask everywhere for the simple reason that most Mexicans are no better than most Americans... They'll wear masks when and where they are legally forced and there is law enforcement to enforce it but once back in their homes and hoods the masks come off, people are socializing and drinking and doing as they please with little concern for COVID from what I've heard. That seems to contradict what Chuck said but I'll see if it's true first hand in a couple of weeks.

And some people love to bash Americans for not wearing masks... Always the ugly Americans visiting Coz not wearing masks, drinking too much, making idiots of themselves, etc. Is not wearing a mask really much worse than having the Coz taxi union blatantly defy capacity restrictions on the airport vans and ferries to/from the mainland cramming them to full capacity? Personally I'll be wearing a mask everywhere for the simple reason that most Mexicans are no better than most Americans... They'll wear masks when and where they are legally forced and there is law enforcement to enforce it but once back in their homes and hoods the masks come off, people are socializing and drinking and doing as they please with little concern for COVID from what I've heard. That seems to contradict what Chuck said but I'll see if it's true first hand in a couple of weeks.

Sometimes the truth stings......

Sometimes the truth stings......
As Chuck has said many times before...the town is safer than your local grocery store! If the van bothers u like it does me, ill call our usual driver and hike to the circle of death...but I have zero issues eating out..

They'll wear masks when and where they are legally forced and there is law enforcement to enforce it but once back in their homes ...
Is anyone saying that we should be masking in our homes? I certainly don't and I don't know f anyone who does.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom