PADI specialties: how to choose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I suspect they would be more concerned if they got reports of GUE instructors smoking rather than just GUE divers.

Well I didn't write it but it was GUE instructors smoking when out at bars and restaurants. Oh well :)

I have always been very interested in the GUE method. As far as I know there is also UTD that should have a similar approach. Are there (legal) materials about GUE fundamentals you would suggest to download and read/watch? Is it possible to see the table of contents of the manuals they use during the GUE fundamentals just to get a first idea?

Just pass by Portofino divers (which is actually in Santa Margherita Ligure) the next time you go to Liguria, you'll get all the info you need and want - Bruno is a tech1 IT and knows a lot about GUE :wink:

EDIT: fundies is very different from PADI specialities; if you are really looking for specialities, it may not be the right thing for you... so, first of all, you should really ask yourself what you expect to receive from further training

EDIT2: if I am not wrong, there is a bit of GUE/UTD community close to milan; try to look for people diving in the lakes (Garda and Como)

Well I didn't write it but it was GUE instructors smoking when out at bars and restaurants. Oh well :)

The only way to get everything in control is to signal bad behaviour, but if people don't do it, the HQ cannot do anything. In Europe, instructors are quite strict about it, and indeed I never met a gue diver smoking tobacco. Once, I met one who quitted smoking tobacco to start smoking vapor just to get the card (it was allowed at the time she get the cert to smoke vapor, now I believe it is not, but I cannot say 100%).

Can they take away an instructor's cert. and teaching cert./credentials if they are reported to be smokers? Or is it just for students seeking to get GUE certified?

Can they take away an instructor's cert. and teaching cert./credentials if they are reported to be smokers? Or is it just for students seeking to get GUE certified?

GUE Instructors and divers need to renew their certifications regularly. Divers is every 3 years and instructors, I think, is yearly (may be wrong). If you are reported as a smoker, I doubt any of them would be renewed.

I thought this was a padi specialties thread lol

It's good to introduce people to other agency standards though.

I thought this was a padi specialties thread lol
It's good to introduce people to other agency standards though.

You are right, but I think it is actually interesting, especially after one has already taken all the PADI specialties compatible with their personal choices and interests. So after that, they could also take some courses of another agency with a completely different approach

The missing part is, if you are really competent, you forget how hard is is to become that competent.

A very valid point. However if a person doing their first night dive is with a really competent night diver they will learn from those divers and from the dives themselves.

There is also this option
Strobes - Marking Lights

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom