Air Integrated or non-air integrated computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WAI only for the past 12 or so years, don’t even bother bringing an SPG any longer.

If you're planning to mostly dive as a buddy pair, you may benefit from having the same model of dive computer that calculates the same no-stop time, so... would you like an air-integrated computer?

Or as they are OW and dive together they can use one dive computer as they save to buy another dive watch or computer. It's easy to say everyone must have their own gear. In Asia it's quite common to see OW and AOW divers who do not own a dive computer and just rely on their dive buddy or the guides.

In Asia it's quite common to see OW and AOW divers who do not own a dive computer and just rely on their dive buddy or the guides.

Not a good practice, in particular when doing multiple dives per day. It's far better to have your own computer which is calculating personal gas loading and NDLs accordingly.

Not a good practice, in particular when doing multiple dives per day. It's far better to have your own computer which is calculating personal gas loading and NDLs accordingly.

Absolutely but many OW and AOW the guides keep to 18m or less on the second dive. When divers ask me what kit they should buy first I always reply a dive computer. Some dive shops will rent them out some only let students use them.

A Deep 6 Excursion on BF Sale @ $199 is way way cheaper than any AI option. So cheap that it's worth getting that to start with and putting the significant savings toward actual diving or other dive gear. The algorithm it uses is the same as the Shearwaters I believe, so in a few years if AI is deemed a good move, you go ahead and get one of those DC's and AI pod, and the Excursion either becomes a backup (still a good price @ $200) or goes to someone else.

Or as they are OW and dive together they can use one dive computer as they save to buy another dive watch or computer. It's easy to say everyone must have their own gear. In Asia it's quite common to see OW and AOW divers who do not own a dive computer and just rely on their dive buddy or the guides.

My wife sometimes decides to sit one out, e.g. she's not fond of night dives, plus we're not the kind of buddies who dive holding hands. If one of our computers died mid-dive, I wouldn't have a problem finishing the dive on the other's computer (YMMV, don't try this at home kids, void where prohibited), but no way we'd do the entire trip on just one.

Thank you all so much for your advice! Now that I know I want to get an AI wrist computer, which one should I get? My eyesight isn't great, so I want to make sure I get a computer with a large readout, preferably one that is easy to use in other ways as well. I don't plan to do anything other than recreational diving. Thanks in advance for taking the time to help.

OK -- looking on Amazon, I'm thinking the Suunto Eon Core Wrist Dive Computer - With Transmitter And USB. It is one of the cheaper AI computers. Does anyone have any experience with this particular computer?

AI is very convenient. But always have a back up SPG on your reg. I would hate to end a dive cause of a transmitter malfunction. My transmitter died unexpectedly when on a trip and if I did not have my spg I would not have dived.
Other than fins and mask, we are currently still renting from our local scuba shop until we decide what we like so we will be using their console computers as our backup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom