Bauer Junior II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hunter69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently bought a Bauer Junior II portable compressor. It’s an older unit (1999) but was hardly used and in great shape. The previous owner recently had it serviced as well. I’m new to the compressor world so I have a question regarding shut down procedures. It says in the owners manual to close tank valve first then the fill valve. Then it says to vent unit to 1150 psi.(I do that using purge valve).Then decompress with drain valves to remove all moisture. Then I open purge valve to release any remaining air. However, there is still air remaining in the system. My question is should I bleed off that remaining air (using the fill valve) or keep it in the system.

After operation, the entire system should be at 1 bar (ambient pressure), except the filterstack. That's the general principle for all compressors.

The filterstack usually stays pressurized because of a one-way-valve before the stack and a PMV (pressure maintenance valve) after the stack.

Remember to let the compressor cool down after filling two tanks.

After operation, the entire system should be at 1 bar (ambient pressure), except the filterstack. That's the general principle for all compressors.

The filterstack usually stays pressurized because of a one-way-valve before the stack and a PMV (pressure maintenance valve) after the stack.

Remember to let the compressor cool down after filling two tanks.
So should I bleed any remaining air via the fill valve? I think it’s all or mostly in the whip.

So should I bleed any remaining air via the fill valve? I think it’s all or mostly in the whip.
If there's a PMV after the main filter, you need to bleed all the condensate drains completely.

I do that, but there is still air in the whip. I know this because when I shut the system down I purge the air down to 1150 psi, then I drain out all the condensation. I bleed out any remaining air (via the purge valve on the whip) but there is still air in the whip, because at that point if I open the fill valve air comes out. My question is should I open the fill valve and let that air escape or keep it in there.

In almost 20 years, I have always turned off, disconnected tank, purged all three drains and leave whatever air is in system there. It eventually leaks out anyway.

In almost 20 years, I have always turned off, disconnected tank, purged all three drains and leave whatever air is in system there. It eventually leaks out anyway.
The pressure in your filter system should not leak out. It should hold indefinitely. If it is leaking, repair is needed.

I do that, but there is still air in the whip. I know this because when I shut the system down I purge the air down to 1150 psi, then I drain out all the condensation. I bleed out any remaining air (via the purge valve on the whip) but there is still air in the whip, because at that point if I open the fill valve air comes out. My question is should I open the fill valve and let that air escape or keep it in there.
Have a look at this schematic, it's from this website:
Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 1.09.55 PM.png

The compressed air comes from the last stage on the compressor and enters the aftercooler. This is a long airline behind the fan of the compressor. Next it goes through a NRV (non-return valve), through a filter and finally a PMV (pressure maintenance valve).
The NRV prevents air to flow back to the compressor when the condensate is drained.
The PMV prevents air to flow towards the filling hose when the pressure is too low (<140bar).

Note that in this picture, one should place the NRV after the last separator if this separator is drained every 15 minutes and stays open when the compressor has stopped.

The Air Filter thus stays pressurized all the time and cannot exchange air with the environment.
If you place the filter material (molecular sieve) out in the open air, it would slowly saturate with the moisture that is naturally present in air. This is also the reason why new filters are vacuum sealed.

So:
- leave the filter pressurized
- completely drain the fill whip and completely drain all condensate collectors

The pressure in your filter system should not leak out. It should hold indefinitely. If it is leaking, repair is needed.
Not correct, but if you think this, okay. All my friend's Junior II compressors also eventually end up at atmospheric pressure. May take days, but it happens.

In the compressors or in the filter system?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom