COZUMEL: Ready or not, here I come

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LACityBoy

Banned
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good day all. Just a bit of direction needed, if you have a moment.

I'm an idependant radio/TV producer currently working on a project for the Armed Forces Radio Network (USA). It's a feature on, well, SCUBA; how to get started, learning about gear, certifications, etc., the more adventursome components of the sport (Cave, wrecks, etc), and highlighting some of the more beautiful areas of the world, known for great diving. The project is getting some funding from NatGeo, so we can edit segments designed for kids.

I'm producing the project, and am also it's primary subject.

I'm an AOWD with 14 dives. My confidence level is 75%...As far as my bouyancy control is concerned, at times I feel at one with the fishes; gliding, drifting, at peace with the ocean. Other times, I probably look like I'm auditioning for Cirque de Soleil, tossing about, flipping around, wildly flailing my arms and legs, probably providing a good deal of entertainment to the marine life watching me. LOL

But I know that my skill level will improve with practice and patience. Yes, I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere. :)

OK, so I'll be heading to Cozumel for a month in mid-December. Main purpose of trip? To dive, while recording my experiences (the good, the bad, and the ugly), for the project.

I'll be traveling alone. I've never been to Cozumel before, yet excited to hook up with perhaps, a couple of dive operators who'll take my limited experiences into consideration, yet offer me challenging opportunities designed to make me a better diver.

I feel like Dorothy, just landing in Oz, not knowing where to turn or to whom to look to for guidance.

I'm just kind of wondering if anyone has any ideas, suggestions, recommendations, etc...Maybe someone knows someone (DM, instructor) who can take me out privately; explore some of the more adventureous diving (of course, staying within the limits of my experiences)...Or, maybe just some dive operators, on the island, that you've dealt with, that you'd feel good about recommending to a novice...I'm trying to keep the costs down as I'm planning to dive, at least 3 days a week. :)

I have all my own gear, so I'll only be looking to rent tanks & weights.

I'll welcome any and ideas...Thanks so much!

I always dive with Pelagic Ventures. Small company. Small boats. Great DM's.... but we all have our favorites and I am sure there are plenty of people on here who have a lot more experience in Coz than I do.

I have an idea.....
Go to the Cozumel section of SB and use the search function.
You will get better information if you seek it yourself then if you ask for it to be given to you.

lots of great dive ops. your choice may be mostly influenced by the location you are staying. some resorts have on site ops. that is usually the most convenient for obvious reasons. but if you are staying in an airbnb, condo, or hotel in town for example, you will have other options.

the shop i work for uses marine world. great outfit. but i have used a few others. it also may depend on whether you prefer the smaller, faster boats, or the larger more comfy larger boats.

If you are looking for a private DM to take you out you can look up Edmundo Torres who owns Cha Cha Cha Dive Cozumel. He's a local who is just a great guy to go diving with. He only takes 4 divers out at a time during Covid or you could probably work out a private charter if that is what you wanted. He's extremely knowledgeable of all Cozumel dive sites and is extremely patient with new divers. My wife and I have been diving with him for over a decade and keep going back. edmundotorres@chachachadivecozumel.com

Here's a little info. I compiled researching Cozumel for a trip there back in 2018.
Tres Pelicanos & Casa Mexicana, Cozumel Sept. 2018 Report - Tres Pelicanos/Casa Mexican Trip Report Sept. 2018
My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip - My Research Notes from Planning Cozumel Trip
Cozumel is known for overall low-cost trips, good food at good prices topside, warm water diving with excellent visibility, a variety of reef structure (e.g.: Palancar sites vs. the rest of it), a nice variety of varied life (e.g.: not all small stuff, and a good amount of life), and the option for all-inclusive resorts with beach (nice for families) vs. 'in-town' non-A.I. options for those to like to get specific restaurants.

If you are going to be in Cozumel for a month, I would plan a side trip to the mainland to do a cenote dive with a respected guide. You might wait until the later part of your trip after you've had a chance to improve your diving and confidence. A cenote dive would add a very interesting dimension to your story. It is diving in an overhead environment, so don't do it unless you are comfortable with buoyancy and basic dive control.

Anyhow, if that interests you, I would email Natalie Gibb at underthejungle.com. She's a highly respected cave instructor and guide, and her location is right near Tajma Ha, one of the best cenote dives in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom