Advanced penetration of the Spiegel Grove Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wasn't replying to the OP - I was replying to the guy that didn't like that folks suggesting that his plan wasn't a good idea

I suspect that this was aimed at @Coztick not you.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

FYI: The OP has been banned. Per SB policy, the reason will never be disclosed.

However, I would like to suggest that if we want to continue the discussion, it should be based on more general principles, not by replying directly to the OP.

If I may, take the musings of the OP with a grain of salt. This was his very successful attempt at kicking the hornet’s nest.

I actually do the initial planning for a lot of my cave dives on the internet.

I research new places, watch videos, and take advice. The final planning is done in the water as we do gas matching and go over the plan one last time.

This planning as saved me time, there is a tunnel that I saw on the map, went and saw some videos on the internet and I didn't have confidence that one of my primary buddies (a BM CCR diver) and I could navigate it safely. Off to a different tunnel for that weekend.
How you conduct your dives is entirely up to you, I do sonar and side scan passes. survey dives on the wreck and area where she is, and most certainly wouldn’t plan a wreck dive on internet information. I believe that’s what I said on my post.

If I may, take the musings of the OP with a grain of salt. This was his very successful attempt at kicking the hornet’s nest.

If “kicking the horrnet’s nest” equates to trolling, I agree with you. iDocSteve has been doing this for years under different guises. It’s a game for him.

How you conduct your dives is entirely up to you, I do sonar and side scan passes. survey dives on the wreck and area where she is, and most certainly wouldn’t plan a wreck dive on internet information. I believe that’s what I said on my post.

The type of sites this thread is talking about is one with plans for sale, mooring balls, and probably sees more divers in a day than you site sees in a year.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

FYI: The OP has been banned. Per SB policy, the reason will never be disclosed.

However, I would like to suggest that if we want to continue the discussion, it should be based on more general principles, not by replying directly to the OP.
If a diver is banned for extreme hubris it might be constructive to allow them read only privileges

If a diver is banned for extreme hubris it might be constructive to allow them read only privileges
I don't know for sure, but I would assume that they can read posts. I would see little to no difference between being banned and what you can do while not logged in, or if you found a link to a thread as a result of a "Google search".

If the incident was not overly egregious, a "time out" with read only privileges might be appropriate. In this instance, however, the OP clearly met the standard to be banned. I am happy to accept the judgement of the mods.

If the incident was not overly egregious, a "time out" with read only privileges might be appropriate. In this instance, however, the OP clearly met the standard to be banned. I am happy to accept the judgement of the mods.

What is that standard exactly that you are referring to? What did the OP do in your mind that crossed the line other than posting about diving in a way that others object to? I have seen people do some really stupid stuff in my time on this planet, while I disagree with what/how the OP wanted to go about the SG dive, I also know that his participation or not on this board will do little to nothing to prevent him from exercising his will. There are far more people out there doing far more egregious things. I used to be an avid rock climber...I can tell you stories of the stupid things I have witnessed that put peoples lives in direct danger...more so than this OP could probably dream up.

My thinking is the OP was a sock puppet account of a previously banned member, there seemed to be some similarities to the argumentative dismissiveness that seemed similar to another poster that is no longer a member of SB. Perhaps the mods figured that out and hence the ban of the new screen name...the OP's profile did not list many posts from what I recall seeing. Or that can be totally wrong...I guess we will never know.

-Z

What is that standard exactly that you are referring to? What did the OP do in your mind that crossed the line other than posting about diving in a way that others object to? I have seen people do some really stupid stuff in my time on this planet, while I disagree with what/how the OP wanted to go about the SG dive, I also know that his participation or not on this board will do little to nothing to prevent him from exercising his will. There are far more people out there doing far more egregious things. I used to be an avid rock climber...I can tell you stories of the stupid things I have witnessed that put peoples lives in direct danger...more so than this OP could probably dream up.

My thinking is the OP was a sock puppet account of a previously banned member, there seemed to be some similarities to the argumentative dismissiveness that seemed similar to another poster that is no longer a member of SB. Perhaps the mods figured that out and hence the ban of the new screen name...the OP's profile did not list many posts from what I recall seeing. Or that can be totally wrong...I guess we will never know.

-Z
As a MOD on another forum that deals with rebreathers I can tell you sometimes it's hard to know where the line is. Back when many folks were heavily modifying or building their own units you would have to be careful to know when a design or strategy was innovative genius or a recipe for disaster. While the MODs do their best the "standards" are sometimes a blurry line. I will say in this case the line is pretty clear.

Back
Top Bottom