Areas to avoid?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dogbone

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Soo, in my experience, usually when you go somewhere, doesn't typically matter where... There are areas that are just better avoided... I'm looking at air bnbs in coz because flights are currently very affordable, but have never been to coz myself.

So, are there particular areas of the island that are best avoided as far as travelers go, or is it all pretty safe?

It's all pretty safe in my opinion as long as you behave rationally and take the same precautions you would at home. Don't walk around stumbling drunk in the dark, don't look like a millionaire wearing gold chains and bracelets and watches that could make you a target (even fake as criminals won't know the difference). As they say everywhere, nothing good happens after midnight so best to be in your accommodations and in bed by then. Desperate people can do desperate things and from what I hear there are plenty of desperate people on coz right now. I generally don't go venturing way, way back into areas that there's no reason for me to be in just for the sake of walking around. As you walk further and further away from the tourist area, you'll notice gradual changes that at some point may make you think you've walked far enough and you may start to get a few looks like "what are you doing way back here?" I know I have a few times. Probably no different than the look you might give someone who's walking around your neighborhood who has no business being there.

Depends on what you're looking to do. Walk to things in town, many restraunts and nice evening vibe, look at Google maps and figure Ave 10 and Benito Juarez is about center and right off the square - easy walk to anywhere in town and not to bad of a walk to Ave 30 which is a main road. Call that area Centro, south of it, farther walk to town is Corpus Christi.

It's all safe really, best area to stay depends on what you want to do.

I stay at air bnbs all over the island. As others said take same precautions as you do at home. As far as areas to stay it depends on what you want . I have a car when I'm there so doesnt effect me much. The corpus christi neighborhood is mostly expats and you can walk to the water to get on a dive boat. So think about things like that when considering a area. Enjoy

We've been coming to Cozumel for about 10 years. We are not divers, just tourists.

We usually don't rent a car, we walk everywhere, sometimes take a cab. We've always stayed West of 30 Ave. As far North as Calle 14, and as far South as Calle 17.

Never had any problems, we have always felt safe.

While there can always be bad guys anywhere you go, we've been going to Cozumel since 1997 and always felt safe. I've ridden a bicycle around the island by myself. We've done extensive walking far beyond the tourist area (you may get curious looks, but a simple "Hola" is usually met with a greeting and a smile). My wife goes bargain hunting out on her own and has always felt comfortable.

Honestly, the most apprehension that I've had is: (1) dogs - common to see unleashed dogs, and 99% won't be a problem, but I did have one chase me on a bicycle on a residential road near El Cedral; and (2) again on a bicycle, if you go way, way up the dirt road to where the Passion Island boat docks I've seen a pack of raccoons there rummaging for garbage that made me a bit nervous - they were not frightened by humans. Both of these are out of the way from where most tourists would be.

Beyond that, be smart about using ATMs at night, watch for scooters passing on both sides of your vehicle, get the taxi driver to tell you the cost before you get in the cab, avoid timeshare salespeople (at the airport, and everywhere else), and watch for Topes (speedbumps that are everywhere and range from almost flat to big plateaus; many are marked with signs, but many are not). Overall, relax and enjoy -- it's a great place!

...if you go way, way up the dirt road to where the Passion Island boat docks I've seen a pack of raccoons there rummaging for garbage that made me a bit nervous - they were not frightened by humans.
They were most likely coatimundis; there are lots of them on Cozumel. See Mexican Raccoon - Animal Facts Encyclopedia When I lived in Peru for a while many years ago I met a couple of them that were kept as pets. Their personalities were somewhere between a cat and a dog.

if you go way, way up the dirt road to where the Passion Island boat docks I've seen a pack of raccoons there rummaging for garbage that made me a bit nervous

If it's wet out, I'd be more worried about the crocodiles!! You know how many "puddles" there are on that road, I've seen more than one picture of a croc in the puddle LOL

To those that don't know - this is just a bit off the beaten path, not somewhere you'd just end up....

If there even are areas to avoid, I think it's unlikely youd be wandering into them, as a tourist.
I mean, what are the chances youd be walking down poorly-lit roads beyond 65th at 2:00 am ?
Anyplace you have any likelyhood of being (ie, between the waterfront and 30th), is generally gonna be perfectly fine, barring some low-probability bad luck, which obviously, can occur anywhere
I wouldn't sweat it.

Back
Top Bottom