Your Gradient Factors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Forgot to mention that these tables are repeatable after a surface interval of more than 60 minutes and you double your stop times for under 60 minute surface interval.

So you disagree with Navy, NAUI, PADI, DCIEM, BSAC, and the Buhlman deco tables, all of which use max depth, not average depth?
I’m not interested in what it was designed to do. I’m interested in what it can do.

And it certainly can work with avg depth.

And it certainly can work with avg depth.
You keep saying this, but it is an assertion, and saying it over and over doesn't make it true.. I'm trying to find out the facts behind the assertion.
Can you, or someone, show me a published table that states on it to use average depths? That would be a start....

You keep saying this, but it is an assertion, and saying it over and over doesn't make it true.. I'm trying to find out the facts behind the assertion.
Can you, or someone, show me a published table that states on it to use average depths? That would be a start....

Published by whom? Agencies that teach the average depth obviously publish it as well.

UTD Depth averaging 2.JPG

UTD Depth Averaging.jpg

Daym. Do you DIR guys ever enjoy a dive for its own and stop to smell the flowers, or do you exclusively focus on the technicalities? Me, there's no way I'd enjoy the dive and stop to smell the flowers if I were to follow that prescription. My entire mental bandwidth would've been occupied. Particularly at 30+m.

Well, that is an "average depth" unlike the "average depth" you'd get by averaging the depth during an entire dive; at most it approximates the depth of the bottom. So is that what UTD means by "average depth," i.e. the average depth of the bottom as opposed to the average depth of the dive?
I guess if one is going to actually try and decide if "average depth" is a useful parameter for tracking nitrogen uptake/off-gassing then one ought to have a consistent and definition of what it means.
I don't see a table (in the classic sense, like a Navy or NAUI or PADI) table where one enters dive depth and time and extracts nitrogen status. If all you are talking about is an approximation for how deep the dive is, there is some rationale here. But that is NOT what the "average depth" of the dive is.

I’ve demonstrated it multiple times in threads just like this.

Take the deco software of your choice, plug in some multi level segments, compare to the same avg depth.

its always within a minute or two left or right.

I’ve demonstrated it multiple times in threads just like this.

Take the deco software of your choice, plug in some multi level segments, compare to the same avg depth.

its always within a minute or two left or right.
See post #74 in this thread for a counter-example for a non-deco dive.

I just ran your example in iDeco with Bühlmann.

still a no-deco dive.
Take one of my typical no-stop dives: 25 min @25m, 25 min @15m. According to every table, I'd be way into deco. According to multilevel planning or any deco software, I'd be no-stop. My average depth is 20m, my bottom time is 50 min. By average depth and tables, I'd be in deco. But I'm not, neither by deco software nor by reality.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom