This ought to Work Several of you into a Frenzy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if you could extend the dip tube on the valve? If so, you could fill it with pressurized scotch whiskey and take it to parties and tailgates.

Well, since the thread has already drifted into capacity issues, I'm just gonna drop this here ... :stirpot:

I am actually surprised (positively) - notably better than a CESA. But I'm not giving up my pretty ponies! :p:D

Scubaboarders love to exaggerate to opine about their gear preferences.

I've heard sooo many times that a Spare Air will only give you a few breaths, barely not even worth it. I always knew that was BS, but I was swayed a bit, so that I thought it would give you only enough to quickly, barely make it to the surface.

Actual data - this is quite a bit of air. Even at say 100 ft, its a good resource.

Would I buy one? probably not. But I wouldnt mind having one when i dive

I've heard sooo many times that a Spare Air will only give you a few breaths, not even worth it. I always knew that was BS, but I was swayed a bit, that I always thought it would give you only enough to quickly make it to the surface.

Actual data - this is quite a bit of air. Even at say 100 ft, its a good resource.

I could easily get a normal ascent and a 3 min SS out of 6. I would only have to speed up a little to make a direct ascent on a 3. I'll keep my 19.

Who here is concerned about running out of air at 30'?

Before I hit double digits I'd disappear snorkelling all day and would have given my left nut for one of these.
What do the kids do today they grow up close their eyes and lose the fun

I've heard sooo many times that a Spare Air will only give you a few breaths, barely not even worth it. I always knew that was BS, but I was swayed a bit, so that I thought it would give you only enough to quickly, barely make it to the surface.

An experienced, non-stressed diver at rest in 32’ of water got 4 minutes. An over weighted out of shape middle aged male who was on the verge of panic at 60’ would barely make it to the surface. I know plenty of female divers who could use that 3 cuft tank as their primary, but....

Just because a diver does not like or use a certain tool does not mean that tool is useless for everyone else. I certainly do not condone the use of spare air, or any other air source, for those not trained in the correct and safe use, but I have a hard time understanding why divers would care if another diver decides to carry a 3.0-6.0 cu ft spare air bottle. As @norwhal said above.
I guess I should refinance my mortgage to keep my jello-wrench production line going... I just need to find the right market for food based tools.

I think spare air does have a market. To clear the prop on a boat or inspect for damage after a grounding or if your ‘copter lands in the water it makes sense. A diver with a really good SAC might get some value out of it, the 600 is a little more useful, but I could see more value from a pony at a similar cost.

Who here is concerned about running out of air at 30'?

Who here thinks it stops working at 31'? See my post above about people exaggerating or misleading to push their gear preferences.

It fits a small niche. Recreational diving, you shouldn't run out of air. BUT, sometimes it happens. If so, this will prevent the need for a CESA, and judging by the video above, even from ~100' it can get you to the surface in a fairly normal ascent, maybe sans SS. A pony would give you much more air, but some people prefer the convenience of a Spare Air. So sue them. But no need to mislead about the gear.

Like I said, I wouldnt buy one, not worth the price. Most of my local shore dives end around 30', so not much use for me anyways. However, if I happened to be on a square deep profile, I wouldnt mind carrying one.

My experience is dated, back when they were only 3 cuft, but I had some extra cash and picked one up. Before the SA, I never carried redundant air, I used the surface as I was trained. Since I was trained before SPGs were widely used, and not all tanks had j-valves, and sometimes the j-valve was knocked out of position or forgot, I did a lot of CSEAs and it was no big deal. The normal and maximum ascent rate was 60'/min at the time so it was faster than the normal 30fpm used now, although I believe the maximum rate is still 60fpm.

The SA worked quite well to assist in a CSEA, however in the environment I dove, the regulator regularly got crap in it making its operation unreliable for me, and increasing maintainance. If I was a boat diver at the time that problem wouldn't have arisen.

Since it was inconvenient, I quit using on it on dives, and years later sold it. I went back to using the surface as redundancy when doing recreational dives. As I got older I do now use a pony for deep dives, but the ocean shore dives aren't deep. I would have the same problem with the pony, but a normal second stage is more robust than the SA, and with a bigger bottle one has more air to waste on a slow leak or free flow.

If one panics when they run out of air, a SA won't help, but a pony may not either. For a diver that has a plan, then it's a matter of deciding on how much air they are comfortable with using to assist with a CSEA, or making a normal ascent with air to spare for all contingencies.

Personally it is the divers choice, not mine, and it makes no difference to me if the choose a 3 cuft SA, an Al 80, or the surface. The crux of the issue is whether the diver practices whatever method they choose, and is confident of their ability to successfully follow that training.

Back
Top Bottom