Rob Stewart Investigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just finished the book. I had no real familiarity with the case before reading the book. My impression is that is was a very even handed and fair look at the events and the people, walked through the good and the bad. Ultimately I found the authors conclusions logical and well supported, and he highlighted others conclusions and counter arguments as well.

I am not convinced I know what happened but feel I now understand the issues and more importantly have insight into what might have happened, a key ingredient to not allowing it to happen to folks I know. From an incident prevention perspective getting the book was a worthwhile investment.

Who are you by the way, aside from some troll who likes to sit anonymously on the sidelines and make staggeringly ignorant comments. I did interview Brock by phone and by email. I made numerous attempts to interview the family and they declined. But the facts don't matter to you. You just want to heap criticism on to people. Every time I log on to this forum I am reminded of what a nest of trolls this place is. I am comforted by the words of the great Teddy Roosevelt,

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
I love this quote, however, it is frequently misused to justify mediocrity (not at all what Teddy meant). Teddy was talking about extraordinary efforts towards the goal that sometimes doesn’t come to fruition. However, some use it to justify “participation is what matters” mentality.
I prefer a quote by late Sean Connery’s character in the movie “The Rock” when Nicholas Cage’s character talks about “doing his best” :)

I just finished the book. I had no real familiarity with the case before reading the book. My impression is that is was a very even handed and fair look at the events and the people, walked through the good and the bad. Ultimately I found the authors conclusions logical and well supported, and he highlighted others conclusions and counter arguments as well.

I am not convinced I know what happened but feel I now understand the issues and more importantly have insight into what might have happened, a key ingredient to not allowing it to happen to folks I know. From an incident prevention perspective getting the book was a worthwhile investment.

I take what you said as a huge compliment. I never meant to definitively prove what happened--I'm not sure that's possible. I meant to lay out the information and present a reasonable argument. To hear that's what you got from the book makes me incredibly happy. Thank you for posting.

I love this quote, however, it is frequently misused to justify mediocrity (not at all what Teddy meant). Teddy was talking about extraordinary efforts towards the goal that sometimes doesn’t come to fruition. However, some use it to justify “participation is what matters” mentality.
I prefer a quote by late Sean Connery’s character in the movie “The Rock” when Nicholas Cage’s character talks about “doing his best” :)

I like to think the quote is talking about making great attempts and not being afraid to fall on your face; Sometimes you'll succeed and sometimes you'll bomb. What's he's slamming is those who never make any attempts but just shoot their gobs off. But I'm sure there are many interpretations. BTW, I love that line in "The Rock."

We've had a great response to the book so far. People are all saying it's fair and reveals a great deal about the events surrounding Rob's death, while at the same time, not tearing down his legacy. I'm most pleased when people describe my work as fair. https://rmbooks.com/book/the-third-dive/
Stewart Slides.jpg

The THIRD DIVE.jpg

Since there seems to be so much interest in this subject--the documentary and the book, etc, I thought I would let people know about an upcoming panel discussion on February 19th at 1:30 p.m. I've provided the link. If you want to have your views heard then this is your chance. It's free of charge.

The Third Dive - A Panel Discussion

I decided to purchase the kindle copy based on the last few posts in this thread. Since that is electronic, I suppose it is easier to correct technical inaccuracies than a printed version.

While I was reading I came across this.

“When oxygen reaches a certain point, 1.16 PO2, it becomes toxic to humans – when you’re breathing air that happens at around 180 feet deep.“

Given the wide coverage of the topics in the publication, I was also curious about the lack of discussion on the inadvertent processing of the incomplete hypoxic certifications thru IANTD. Perhaps I missed it. It would seem that would be relevant to the safety diver / student issue.

I decided to purchase the kindle copy based on the last few posts in this thread. Since that is electronic, I suppose it is easier to correct technical inaccuracies than a printed version.

While I was reading I came across this.

“When oxygen reaches a certain point, 1.16 PO2, it becomes toxic to humans – when you’re breathing air that happens at around 180 feet deep.“

Given the wide coverage of the topics in the publication, I was also curious about the lack of discussion on the inadvertent processing of the incomplete hypoxic certifications thru IANTD. Perhaps I missed it. It would seem that would be relevant to the safety diver / student issue.

I'm sorry divezonescuba but I'm not sure I understand the question that you're asking. Could you possibly rephrase it? What do you mean by "the incomplete hypoxic certifications thru IANTD?" If you can explain further, I'm happy to answer the questions.

View attachment 639216
Since there seems to be so much interest in this subject--the documentary and the book, etc, I thought I would let people know about an upcoming panel discussion on February 19th at 1:30 p.m. I've provided the link. If you want to have your views heard then this is your chance. It's free of charge.

The Third Dive - A Panel Discussion

Note, that this discussion will also delve into Stewart's ongoing legacy--who's taken up the torch so to speak.

Is that 1.16 PO2 correct? I have passed that number many times, even 1.7 for 4 minutes and nothing happened to me. My dive computer gives option of 1.4 or 1.6.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom