Shearwater Peregrine

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another question... What is the recommendation of the default gradient factors (GF) settings for recreational diving and doing a dive with no mandatory decompression stops and a maximum of 40 meters deep? The default conservatism of the system is medium (40/85), Is this good for diving with other divers with other computers with different algorithms? Thanks

Got a few more dives in with my Peregrine. Still happy with it. Just curious...for anyone that’s tinkered with the menus to alter the display, can you post up a picture of what you settled on for information/display options?

I’d like to do this before my next outing. I’d just like to get an idea of what others have tried and liked or didn’t like compared to the factory default settings. Thank you.

This is mine

I have mine set to the Rec screen which is my preference (after I found out how to change the silly artificial MOD limitation which is under adv settings)

I find the tech screen too clutter (for my tastes) and other info I can scroll through, although I wish rather than the bottom section scrolling I could have a different screen (which bit like the Eon) where the pertinent info for that section of the dive is shown

I'm not using the AI. If I were (and with 2 tanks) I'd struggle to be honest having the info I wanted with the way the SW limits the info.

Appreciate most SW users won't feel that way, but when you're used to the wealth of customisation and multiple screens that are set into the way or order you want on the Eon, everything else seems a step backwards

I'm also very upset that I have 96 days SI normally 14 days is my max :(

upload_2020-11-25_15-55-57.png

I have mine set to the Rec screen which is my preference (after I found out how to change the silly artificial MOD limitation which is under adv settings)
Does Shearwater Peregrine have REC screen and TEC screen? it doesn't have air integration (AI) either.

The Peregrine does not contain a Tec mode. The Peregrine does contain Air mode, Nitrox mode, 3 Gas Nitrox mode, and Gauge mode, which can be used for some types of technical diving.

Does Shearwater Peregrine have REC screen and TEC screen? it doesn't have air integration (AI) either.

The Peregrine does not contain a Tec mode. The Peregrine does contain Air mode, Nitrox mode, 3 Gas Nitrox mode, and Gauge mode, which can be used for some types of technical diving.

It does not have a “tech” mode. I assume what he was getting at is dropping off some stuff to declutter the screen.

I’m not thrilled with the factory defaults (the screen does look cluttered), but I haven’t spent enough time in the manual to see what I can change. I would want to do that before I offer up a strong opinion on this.

Another question... What is the recommendation of the default gradient factors (GF) settings for recreational diving and doing a dive with no mandatory decompression stops and a maximum of 40 meters deep? The default conservatism of the system is medium (40/85), Is this good for diving with other divers with other computers with different algorithms? Thanks

Everybody want to know this, but it is a wrong question. Decompression algorithms are designed to produce statistically reliable incidence of clinical DCS in their target demographic.

E.g. a Navy is targeting young fit risk-tolerant people so their algorithm may be tuned to greater incidence of DCS than the one targeted at us fat old tourists.

Reliable means there's supposed to be certain number of DCS cases when algorithm is used as designed. If it was not tested for different levels of added conservatism, it is generally not known how that number would change. We know that if you go over the top (100/100) you're running higher risk of DCS and if you go down to ambient pressure (0/0) you won't be able to ever ascend. The in-between part is a bit of an if.

With ZH-L specifically, 100/100 is considered too risky. There is argument against low settings of GF Low in general, and of less than 70-80% of GF High in particular. I.e. 40/85 is a bad setting but it doesn't mater on a no-stop dive -- unless you overstay your NDL.

There is Fraedrich study showing that several algorithms agree in the GF 70-85 range so if you want to keep your chances of DCS to the expected numbers, that's where you'd want to set your GFs. However the process is non-linear so it doesn't follow that setting them lower will reduce your risk, by how much, and up to which point.

There is the probabilistic planner: SAUL that tries to give you estimated risk for a chosen dive but I'm not sure how reliable his numbers are outside of that 70-85 interval.

So nobody in their right mind is going to tell you what numbers to use.

Thank you for your response dmaziuk.

I.e. 40/85 is a bad setting but it doesn't mater on a no-stop dive -- unless you overstay your NDL.
This configuration, medium (40/85), is the default conservatism in Peregrine in all dive modes. Let's not forget it's the first recreational dive computer of the Shearwater brand.

This configuration, medium (40/85), is the default conservatism in Peregrine in all dive modes. Let's not forget it's the first recreational dive computer of the Shearwater brand.

I know, and not exactly: their previous models that have "rec" mode have it too. Nobody really knows why those numbers: Gradient Factor Presets by Manufacturer/Computer

Some dive computers let set GF for NDL and deco separately (eg. Xdeep/Genz Black in AdvEAN configuration).

Is there a way to delete the words and numbers for "safety stop" from the screen entirely, so that they only appear when you actually reach your stop depth, and NDL can thus be displayed with a larger font size?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom