Shearwater AI w/ Oxygen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My concern in not implementing AI, despite the benefit above, is after a "boom!"

Boom on a CCR? Why wait to check gauges? Why not shut O2 and dil immediately, THEN figure out what's wrong?

Boom on a CCR? Why wait to check gauges? Why not shut O2 and dil immediately, THEN figure out what's wrong?
Absolutely. That's the drill. THEN, with tanks off, is your gauge still dropping or not? I.e., Gauges steady, bubbles continue = tank oring. Which side? Gauges dropping, where are the bubbles? Which side?

And... can I bear the wait between transmitter updates? :confused: Is it steady because it's steady? Or is it steady because it hasn't updated yet? I can still hear bubbles!

Yeah, yeah. I know. Bail out.
But that's why I haven't switched to AI yet.

Absolutely. That's the drill. THEN, with tanks off, is your gauge still dropping or not? I.e., Gauges steady, bubbles continue = tank oring. Which side? Gauges dropping, where are the bubbles? Which side?

And... can I bear the wait between transmitter updates? :confused: Is it steady because it's steady? Or is it steady because it hasn't updated yet? I can still hear bubbles!

Yeah, yeah. I know. Bail out.
But that's why I haven't switched to AI yet.

Why bail out? The loop is still breathable at that point, and for a while. No rush.

The grey transmitters transmit every 5 seconds.

This probably depends on the CCR. But, if I turned both cylinders off on my rEvo and it continued to bubble for very long (i.e. tank valve O-ring or high pressure seat or whatever), I think I could probably reach back and feel the bubbles dumping out. However, that is certainly not an official protocol for diagnosing that kind of thing.

I've read a decent number of posts here on SB from CCR divers that, a few of them at least, seem to be pretty experienced, where they were all saying they dive with their O2 and Dil SPGs stowed somewhere where they can't even look at them during the dive. One person even said they don't have SPGs on their unit at all, IIRC. The general sentiment, among some group anyway, was that you don't/shouldn't need to check your O2 and Dil pressures during the dive.

Personally, I have AI transmitters and no SPGs on my rEvo and check the pressures from time to time on my NERD2. I am quite satisfied with my setup - but I'm still a total fledgling CCR diver.

UPDATE - I tried out a wireless transmitter on my oxygen bottle. I am diving a kiss sidewinder. So the oxygen bottle is basically at my butt clipped to my harness.
W. the transmitter attached to the first stage I was able to get readings on the surface for my pressure. However for the dive. majority of the time the pressure was not reading, it read a few times, so I could see the pressure every now and again, but not consistent enough for me to want to buy one and use this. I tried moving the transmitter to a different HP port, and results were actually worse. the entire dive had no readings. the battery was brand new, so i think it was just the distance from the sensor to the computer.

I dive a JJ with two transmitters attached to the first stages (with a hp splitter and a short hose). Transmitters are located inside the frame close to my butt without any connectivity issues. Thus it might not be just the distance. Orientation of the transmitter is very important, it has a directional antenna.

I remember recreational divers having issues with the transmitter behind there head and the receiver on there wrist. Add in long arms and they had signal drop out issues. The quick fix is to hold your wrist (and computer) by your head and it will pick up the signal again. This is where I first learned that the transmitters could be hose mounted. The tech at the shop unscrewed the transmitter, installed a spool, and put it on a hose. The transmitter was now moved to the shoulder, closer to the wrist, and that fixed the dropped signal issues.

When I put the transmitters on the rEvo and they did not fit in the confines of the rEvo packaging I didn't have any issues putting the transmitters on hoses. Ran them up the frame just like the hoses and put the transmitters at the back of my head. With the NERD at the front of my head it is close enough not to have any signal issues.

UPDATE - I tried out a wireless transmitter on my oxygen bottle. I am diving a kiss sidewinder. So the oxygen bottle is basically at my butt clipped to my harness.
W. the transmitter attached to the first stage I was able to get readings on the surface for my pressure. However for the dive. majority of the time the pressure was not reading, it read a few times, so I could see the pressure every now and again, but not consistent enough for me to want to buy one and use this. I tried moving the transmitter to a different HP port, and results were actually worse. the entire dive had no readings. the battery was brand new, so i think it was just the distance from the sensor to the computer.
I think Matt Meyers runs his on his SW a 9” HP hose along the O2 LP hose and alleviates both the signal drop and the odd transmitter shape jutting out. I don’t experience signal loss but also generally have the O2 transmitted to a Perdix AI on my right arm and only use a transmitter on dives where I’d be running the O2 close to empty.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom