Hello from Indiana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harley-Diver821

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello. I'm a new diver. I'm in my mid 50s and just received my open water certification in mid-October in a quarry. I'm already planning my first saltwater dive for mid January in Jamaica.
Although I love my time underwater I have to admit that I'm a little nervous. I panicked 3 times during my training. My very first time breathing underwater triggered a claustrophobic attack; I've never been claustrophobic before, but after 3 breaths I had to stand up. After several deep breaths I was back down with no problems.
During my first open water dive we had been down around 25 ft. for about 5 minutes when I felt cold water in my throat. That did it I had to shoot to the surface. I ignored my instructors ascent alarm, all I could think of was getting up. I didn't get out of the water, I just inflated my BCD and floated for around 3-4 minutes, then was able to complete and enjoy the rest of the day.
The next day I experienced another panic attack when I again felt cold water in my throat. This time I was able to completely deflate my BCD and kneel on the training platform until I had regained control. The next 2 dives were some of the best experiences of my life.
Now that I can look back on my open water panic attacks I think I know what happened. I never did think I was drowning. I'm a nurse and realized I was still able to both times, I also realized there was no urge to cough so my lungs weren't filling with water. I think some water had leaked into my mouth around my regulator and I ended up swallowing a small amount of water while trying to equalize my ears. I'm sure that wasn't the only time water had entered my mouth but I had probably purged it when exhaling.
Anyway, now I'm hooked. I'm constantly thinking and talking about diving, I'm sure my coworkers and family are starting to get tired of it.
Back on topic: Hi everyone. I'm new to diving and look forward to this new stage of my life, seeing new things and meeting other divers.
Thanks for letting me rant.

Welcome Harley-Diver821! So pleased to have you join us as we all share our addiction. Read away and you'll be surprised at what you learn here. And we look forward to reading your adventures too!

Congrats on certification and figuring things out. I'm in Indy - did the OW course (1998) and scheduled checkout dives for what was my first trip out of the country, Grand Cayman. The course was in the winter, so we never did any quarry dives and I haven't been diving anywhere in the continental U.S. to this day. The warm water, good (hopefully) visibility, and scenery of the Caribbean will make you forget about the quarry.

I would suggest, since you're a little nervous, researching a dive op in Jamaica, and either before arrival or after, communicating that this will be your first time diving since you were certified. Find out if the dive op sends more than one guide/DM(divemaster)/instructor out on their dives - or if they will for you. Ideally you can have someone paying more attention to you rather than a group. Others on SB may suggest hiring a private guide from the dive op, but that's extra cash (but could be worth it.)

Although I've not been to Jamaica, I know there is a Dressel Divers there. If anything like their locations elsewhere, they are pretty much a training facility with many instructors. There may be a lot of divers on their boats, but they are broken into small groups with a DM and/or instructor with each group. A positive with Dressel is that they offer several dive packages and an online discount which can make dives pretty cheap. The drawback is that you have to contact them to get their prices, but the process is pretty easy. I did it all through email.

You can use the search feature (upper right hand side of this screen) here on SB to get a lot of info regarding your trip as well as suggestions about almost any topic to help in your scuba.

Welcome to SB!!

Congrats on certification and figuring things out. I'm in Indy - did the OW course (1998) and scheduled checkout dives for what was my first trip out of the country, Grand Cayman. The course was in the winter, so we never did any quarry dives and I haven't been diving anywhere in the continental U.S. to this day. The warm water, good (hopefully) visibility, and scenery of the Caribbean will make you forget about the quarry.

I would suggest, since you're a little nervous, researching a dive op in Jamaica, and either before arrival or after, communicating that this will be your first time diving since you were certified. Find out if the dive op sends more than one guide/DM(divemaster)/instructor out on their dives - or if they will for you. Ideally you can have someone paying more attention to you rather than a group. Others on SB may suggest hiring a private guide from the dive op, but that's extra cash (but could be worth it.)

Although I've not been to Jamaica, I know there is a Dressel Divers there. If anything like their locations elsewhere, they are pretty much a training facility with many instructors. There may be a lot of divers on their boats, but they are broken into small groups with a DM and/or instructor with each group. A positive with Dressel is that they offer several dive packages and an online discount which can make dives pretty cheap. The drawback is that you have to contact them to get their prices, but the process is pretty easy. I did it all through email.

You can use the search feature (upper right hand side of this screen) here on SB to get a lot of info regarding your trip as well as suggestions about almost any topic to help in your scuba.

Welcome to SB!!
Thanks for all the info.
This trip the dive arrangements are provided through the resort (Sandals), one of the reasons I went ahead and got my certification earlier than I had planned.

Are you planning on doing local diving also?
I doubt if I'll have time this trip. The resort provides up to 2 dives per day and I don't now what kind of restrictions will be in place on the island by January. Not to mention the fact that I have to spend time with the wife who doesn't dive.

This trip the dive arrangements are provided through the resort (Sandals), one of the reasons I went ahead and got my certification earlier than I had planned.

Sounds great. Having it all in one place sure makes it convenient, and I'm all about that. I would still communicate with the Sandals dive op ahead of time if you have any questions. Maybe someone who's been there can confirm, but it looks like they do a scuba orientation (evaluation) when you arrive. Many dive ops, when they have new divers, will make the first dive an easier dive (a checkout dive) to see how everyone does. You're going to have a great time!

My confined dives were at Indy Island Aquatic Center

Been by the park - thought they were just a fun water water park - learn something new everyday.

I doubt if I'll have time this trip.

I think @Midwesterndvr was referring to local diving here in Indiana. As I posted earlier, once you see the difference between Hidden Paradise and the Caribbean there's no turning back!!!

The resort provides up to 2 dives per day and I don't now what kind of restrictions will be in place on the island by January. Not to mention the fact that I have to spend time with the wife who doesn't dive.

We still have a 2 week trip to Aruba booked in January, but know we aren't going. Got all money refunded for several trips we had booked in 2020. Aruba would have been nice as it was really cheap (mostly a freebie.) I would say you couldn't have picked a better place to go with a non-diving spouse. My wife had to give up diving several years ago and she tells me that she worries when I go by myself; but some of that is because I'm driving or taking a taxi to where the dive op is. Leaving and returning to the resort makes it pretty nice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom