Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look at the links in posts #5 and #6.

Interesting story; though I have no more desire to be around profoundly "autistic" scuba divers than either claustrophobes or agoraphobes in a crowded, stopped elevator. That kid in the video would pose the least of my concerns.

Since The DSM-III was revised in the eighties, and broadened the diagnostic criteria, to include, basically "bored in school," sure, "autism" has become an "epidemic;" though, there were also studies that suggested that "autistic children 'clustered' where resources for diagnosis and treatment were greater . . . [W]here there's more access to diagnostic services, the autism rate is higher."

"If you build it, they will come."

Scheiß, I could even qualify, based on the current spectrum. I was hyperactive as a kid; bookish, and none too social.

Where do I go for my gub'ment cash and support group?

Majority Of Autism Increase Due To Diagnostic Changes, Finds New Study

A colleague / old classmate was involved in this study:
Increased Prevalence of Autism Spectrum Disorders
Great resources, thanks so much for sharing :)

Since The DSM-III was revised in the eighties, and broadened the diagnostic criteria, to include, basically "bored in school," sure, "autism" has become an "epidemic;" though, there were also studies that suggested that "autistic children 'clustered' where resources for diagnosis and treatment were greater . . . [W]here there's more access to diagnostic services, the autism rate is higher."
Then there are those of us who have struggled all our lives with "high functioning" autism, and were only diagnosed as adults, and found it a relief to understand, finally, why we just couldn't seem to make a go of life no matter how hard we tried. This, after years of hearing the anti-welfare lobby agitprop saying that anyone who needs any kind of gub'mint money must be just lazy.

All I can tell you is that scuba therapy works......at Diveheart – Imagine the Possibilities you will find more about autism and scuba therapy than anywhere else in the world. check out our ten years of adaptive scuba symposiums and the hundreds of news stories and video that support our efforts since 2001.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom