Classes to be a great well rounded diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OW + AOW + Nitrox + Rescue = competently trained recreational diver

with some good number of dives in there, because diving ain't a book larnin' thang.

As a previous poster mentioned, Cavern is a great course to focus on buoyancy and trim. Greatly improved my comfort level in the water.

with some good number of dives in there, because diving ain't a book larnin' thang.

As a previous poster mentioned, Cavern is a great course to focus on buoyancy and trim. Greatly improved my comfort level in the water.
Nitrox is (can be) very useful, but I don't think it should be included with the other 3 to determine competency. I almost always dive shallow and haven't used it in years.

OW + AOW + Rescue + NAUI Master SD + Cavern (from a cave or cave qual'd instructor) + Self Reliant

NAUI MSD for the theory and another layer of emergency, night, nav, deep.

Cavern for nailing buoyancy, trim and calmness. (As it is now rec, or is it just not on the cave progression.)

Self Reliant in the within buddy team strong partner aspect without venturing to the solo version, though you could nail that down as being fully competent to venture alone as well.

Agree Nitrox is optional but good.

As far as specialty choices. If you had to pick one that would make you a over all better diver which would you pick, which did you get the most benefit from.

I know this is kinda random but I have been thinking about what it would take to get me to a profession level of diving, not a dive professional, I have no interest in working in the dive industry.

AOW and Rescue certainly. As you've just started diving, look for any training that's going to get you more controlled in the water. GUE fundies, tec classes, Peak Performance Buoyancy (with a good instructor). NASE also has a Master Diver course that says you'll get instructor level knowledge and skills without the instructional portion.

Yeah I guess there can be arguments made for certain courses depending on what type of diving you do. Agree cavern would be good for the reasons mentioned though you can have those things polished without it. NAUI MSD a good idea since it has all the theory, etc. of the PADI DM course minus the teaching aspect. I found quite a bit of the PADI DM course theory to be very interesting but not really necessary to know all those reasons "why" and some of the history behind their development. Then again, if you are into tech. diving, mixed gases, advanced gas planning, stage bottles, all that-- most of that theory would be extremely useful knowledge.
Kind of like what do you need to become a top symphonic clarinet player. Basically be a great player and know the repertoire. The history of the symphony orchestra and how to write advanced species counterpoint not really required.

and sign language if you're an overachiever.
A lot of the Zombie Apocalypse Diver manual is on sign language (although it is zombie-specific signs, like “infected”).

AOW and Rescue certainly. As you've just started diving, look for any training that's going to get you more controlled in the water. GUE fundies, tec classes, Peak Performance Buoyancy (with a good instructor). NASE also has a Master Diver course that says you'll get instructor level knowledge and skills without the instructional portion.

Is GUE fundamentals for the entry level diver? I was under the impression it was for those with more experience? And do they make you use a long hose for the class even if you have no interest in tec or using one in the future?
Thanks

Is GUE fundamentals for the entry level diver? I was under the impression it was for those with more experience? And do they make you use a long hose for the class even if you have no interest in tec or using one in the future?
Thanks
https://www.gue.com/files/standards9/FundP1-Standards-v9.1.pdf it looks like you'd need one, but I'd talk with your instructor... Hoses are pretty cheap anyway, but GUE training isn't, if money's a concern, you might want to look elsewhere.

I know most take specialty classes as needed. But as someone that normally travels half the year and the world is closed I'm just bored. I don't live near any great diving (Monterey 150+ miles) and for the little diving close by finding a buddy can be an issue. But I can take classes just for something to do. Not trying to say don't just get out there and dive more.

Hypothetically, If you were guna take classes to make you a good/better all around diver from OW what would you take? I guess what I mean is get you up to DM level diver but without the working in the industry part. Build yourself a well rounded skills package.

As far as specialty choices. If you had to pick one that would make you a over all better diver which would you pick, which did you get the most benefit from.

I know this is kinda random but I have been thinking about what it would take to get me to a profession level of diving, not a dive professional, I have no interest in working in the dive industry.

Many people here are suggesting you a path to improve your skills, your knowledge, or both. I guess that's because they assume that a "better" diver is that one with increased skills and knowledge; by the way, I partially agree with them. But is this what you want?

If yes, which skills would you prioritize, and why?
If no, what exactly do you mean with "better diver"?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom