Shuttles from airport - any changes due to COVID?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am I reading this correctly? There are shuttles and taxis from the airport.
I don't know what you are reading, but no, unless things have changed recently (and I haven't seen any indication that they have) taxis cannot pick up fares on the airport grounds. Also, I don't think that reducing capacity makes anyone in the vehicle safer if someone aboard is infected; it just reduces the number of people at risk if that happens.

In northern Manitoba, Canada, the primary spread of the virus has been through people sharing cars and trucks to get from one town to another (no public transit) and not wearing masks.

The shuttles aren't perfect, but what is? I've personally found them to be reliable, inexpensive transport. Sometimes crowded, sometimes not (50% capacity would be nice in these times...), but IMHO still safer than than my local Walmart. I don't mean to be flippant...masks we're worn, hand sanitizer was available, and they were "spritzing" luggage. In the couple of trips I've made since Covid, I've found the "tourist" areas/businesses in Coz much more "protocol observant" than my local, rural home. I've seen a few folks dragging multiple suitcases down the sidewalk in search of a cab (as I've rolled by in the shuttle), but it seems to be talked about more on SB than actually done in real life...who 'da thunk it?? Hey, to each their own. It's a big ocean and the point is to enjoy so whatever makes you comfy. Have fun. :) All IMHO, YMMV.

This has been discussed repeatedly in the Coz forums, but for those of us who can't get a non-stop to Coz from a convenient airport, the "bag-drag" from Cancun can be a very attractive option. For me,, a non-stop to Cancun is much cheaper than flying to Coz, and avoids having to connect in ATL (yuck) or MIA (nightmare). A pre-arranged private taxi gets you to the ferry terminal in Playa quite comfortably, the ferry is quick, and you can get a taxi from the ferry terminal. All told the travel time and cost worked out to be less for us than direct flying to Coz. And you don't have to deal with the shuttle mafia at the Coz airport.

This has been discussed repeatedly in the Coz forums, but for those of us who can't get a non-stop to Coz from a convenient airport, the "bag-drag" from Cancun can be a very attractive option. For me,, a non-stop to Cancun is much cheaper than flying to Coz, and avoids having to connect in ATL (yuck) or MIA (nightmare). A pre-arranged private taxi gets you to the ferry terminal in Playa quite comfortably, the ferry is quick, and you can get a taxi from the ferry terminal. All told the travel time and cost worked out to be less for us than direct flying to Coz. And you don't have to deal with the shuttle mafia at the Coz airport.
A downside of the bag drag from Cancun, of course, in these pandemic times, is that you have to spend a lot more time in close quarters on public conveyances where you have a chance of encountering an infected person.

I was there on November 4. We walked off the airport property and tried to grab a cab. A very angry taxi boss told us to go back to the airport and get a shuttle. I continued to try to flag a cab but each one that stopped was told by the boss not to pick us up. We had to walk approximately six blocks before taxis were allowed to pick us up. Apparently this rule has always been in place, but now they’re actually enforcing it. Just FYI

What taxi boss? You mean someone was standing outside the airport by the road? Just walk further away. Why six blocks? A taxi driver could barely see him much less hear him from a block away.

I'm thinking I've had enough and will go get me some Diego's tacos upon arrival next time. I'm tired of waiting in a van for 15 minutes while they hope to squeeze in another couple passengers.

"Lying" implies malicious intent; I think it could be that the agent was telling you the guideline but didn't know what the drivers were doing outside. If the drivers are paid by the number of tickets they collect they may be simply ignoring the guideline. Occam's razor.

I suppose it's possible she was just ignorant but you really have to be an ostrich with your head in the sand to work right next to it every day and not know what is going on.

What taxi boss? You mean someone was standing outside the airport by the road? Just walk further away. Why six blocks? A taxi driver could barely see him much less hear him from a block away.

I'm thinking I've had enough and will go get me some Diego's tacos upon arrival next time. I'm tired of waiting in a van for 15 minutes while they hope to squeeze in another couple passengers.

The taxi boss drives a red car and he will stop whatever he wants in it's tracks. People picking up friends at the cruise ship pier, taxis outside the airport and even busses at resorts.

I suppose it's possible she was just ignorant but you really have to be an ostrich with your head in the sand to work right next to it every day and not know what is going on.
Obviously I wasn't there, but I know that the (usually) women in the ticket booth cannot see what is going on out in the loading zone from where they are. They just sell tickets and they probably just tell customers what they are told to say. My only point is that just because someone tells you something that turns out not to be true, that doesn't necessarily mean that they are lying.

A downside of the bag drag from Cancun, of course, in these pandemic times, is that you have to spend a lot more time in close quarters on public conveyances where you have a chance of encountering an infected person.
The bag drag is my preferred route too. I can’t fly direct to CZM and connecting through ATL or MIA adds another set of airport and flight exposure risks. (Connecting also adds greater risk of my dive bag disappearing!) Booking a private ride service out of CUN to Playa means limited exposure to just the masked driver. That leaves the ferry where I might be able to be outside, and one more private taxi ride on COZ. Not exactly no risk, but a reasonable alternative.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom