Truck for diving help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have had 4 tacomas and a tundra and they are absolute workhorses. I don't know how they get 14 mpg, ours is quite efficient. We have hauled 800lbs worth of gravel in the bed of the tacoma no problem, and at the boat ramp, she's a beast with a twin axle trailer and a friends old cabin cruiser on top. But you might want to check out the Toyota Hilux, might be better for your application...
Happy hunting <TG>
The OP is in the United States. The Toyota Hilux has not been sold in the US since the 1990's.

I would really like a Tacoma (I have always liked them). When I looked at mid-size trucks in early ‘17 though, I came away thinking that the Colorado had a more comfortable interior.

We’ll see. I hate car/vehicle shopping. I think I’ll just end up going to Carmax. I’ve sold a couple vehicles there previously and I thought it went well.

I want a 4WD. I can’t say that I’ve used that in the current truck very much, but it is nice to have on occasion,
Hey you know my family WAS in the automobile export European business but now we do boats. Here ae a couple of suggestions.
-70'-90' landrover defender
-15'-18' Chevy Tahoe w/ v8 400hp (we also have one of these very good for diving and other rec)
-14'-19' Ram 2500 PW

But in the end the tacoma is still #1,
Pros:
decent power-terrain
utilitarian gadgets (ex. all the tie downs)
short wheel base(important for offroading)
Cons:
Well the bed is small but not minimal, and the interior IF you spec it right is good looking and funtcional....

<TG>

The OP is in the United States. The Toyota Hilux has not been sold in the US since the 1990's.
You can import them from Mexico where no problem, then just drive it home...
<TG>

You can import them from Mexico where no problem, then just drive it home...
<TG>
I think that could be risky if somebody decided to enforce the Imported Vehicle Safety Compliance Act rules. If there was no risk, I think we would see a very large number of Toyota Hilux pickups in the US. It is an amazing truck.

I admit this is a subject I don't I have a lot of familiarity of, so it may be something easy to do.

There was an article about an imported Hilux for sale in Illinois earlier this year.

Someone Brought a 2017 Toyota Hilux Into the States and Now It Can Be Your Problem for $27,500

Hey you know my family WAS in the automobile export European business but now we do boats. Here ae a couple of suggestions.
-70'-90' landrover defender
-15'-18' Chevy Tahoe w/ v8 400hp (we also have one of these very good for diving and other rec)
-14'-19' Ram 2500 PW

But in the end the tacoma is still #1,
Pros:
decent power-terrain
utilitarian gadgets (ex. all the tie downs)
short wheel base(important for offroading)
Cons:
Well the bed is small but not minimal, and the interior IF you spec it right is good looking and funtcional....

<TG>

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t mind a Defender some day, but I’m not spending $30k+ for a 30+ year old vehicle. That and I need something that’s daily drive-able. I don’t think I’d want to run one of those up and down the interstate at 70 MPH.

Now a LandCruiser pickup (not going to happen) or a 70 series...that would be sweet.

A Tahoe isn’t exactly downsized from what I’ve got ( ‘16 Ram 1500 Quad Cab).

My Ram 1500 only clears some of the parking garage overheads by ~2”. I can’t even get into some of them as it is. A Ram 2500 isn’t going to be able to get into any of the parking garages.

I think that could be risky if somebody decided to enforce the Imported Vehicle Safety Compliance Act rules. If there was no risk, I think we would see a very large number of Toyota Hilux pickups in the US. It is an amazing truck.

I admit this is a subject I don't I have a lot of familiarity of, so it may be something easy to do.

There was an article about an imported Hilux for sale in Illinois earlier this year.

Someone Brought a 2017 Toyota Hilux Into the States and Now It Can Be Your Problem for $27,500
4 cyl manual is a great configuration. I’m not sure how hard it is to get registration on these in Illinois? I see a handful of humvees that are tagged and driven that didn’t have titles in the first place.

That link mentions a Nissan?...capable of the same mileage as a Hilux. That may be true on the paved roads in the US. But on the pot holed, dirt roads here in Belize, the Hilux out lasts all others, including Tacomas.

Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t mind a Defender some day, but I’m not spending $30k+ for a 30+ year old vehicle. That and I need something that’s daily drive-able. I don’t think I’d want to run one of those up and down the interstate at 70 MPH.

Now a LandCruiser pickup (not going to happen) or a 70 series...that would be sweet.

A Tahoe isn’t exactly downsized from what I’ve got ( ‘16 Ram 1500 Quad Cab).

My Ram 1500 only clears some of the parking garage overheads by ~2”. I can’t even get into some of them as it is. A Ram 2500 isn’t going to be able to get into any of the parking garages.

I just got done with two years of driving a brand new Tahoe.

Shoddy interior, IMO.

4 cyl manual is a great configuration. I’m not sure how hard it is to get registration on these in Illinois? I see a handful of humvees that are tagged and driven that didn’t have titles in the first place.

There’s a legit/well established processed for purchasing military vehicles and titling them. From everything I’ve read...the same cannot be said about foreign sale only modern vehicles such as the Hilux, Land Cruiser pick-up, etc.

As was alluded for in the linked article, I’d put money on it that there’s a story that’s not being told on this Hilux. The whole “the title is in the mail” thing.

Is the Tundra a good dive-mobile with 4X4 and for going off-road to secluded sea shores and towing a boat?

My brother is happy with his Tundra for boat towing duty. It’s a 5.7l crew cab. He downsized from a new-ish F-250 diesel to the Tundra and hasn’t had any towing complaints. He’s got a 21’ center console fishing boat.

Back
Top Bottom