Truck for diving help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Almost all other brands of economy pickups now look like the Hilux body. Even Ford Ranger. I have to admit, the strategy makes sense. I had a Ranger (company vehicle) for five years here. Wasn't impressed. The Insaw the new "Hilux"
body and thought, "wow...it must be better now"....:D:cheers:

I’m trying to make sense of the Tacoma trim levels. For someone that’s used to minimal creature comforts (ex. Manual climate control), what is the primary reason to pay up for the SR5? It looks like the SR has Apple Car Play and backup camera, which I would want.

I bought a 2017 tacoma when I heard that all 2018 toyotas would have the "safety sense" malarkey. I drive offroad frequently, last thing i need is more beeping junk. I had nearly 300k miles on my last Tacoma, I'm nearly at 70k oo this one. I have an SR5, would have bought an SR if they had any. Almost everything now is a Sport or an Offroad. I also got an access cab instead of 4 doors. I park in my garage. the mini 5 foot bed is worthless unless you're asoccer mom.

My Tacoma was made in Texas. My buddys GMC Colorado was made in Mexico.

I bought a 2017 tacoma when I heard that all 2018 toyotas would have the "safety sense" malarkey. I drive offroad frequently, last thing i need is more beeping junk. I had nearly 300k miles on my last Tacoma, I'm nearly at 70k oo this one. I have an SR5, would have bought an SR if they had any. Almost everything now is a Sport or an Offroad. I also got an access cab instead of 4 doors. I park in my garage. the mini 5 foot bed is worthless unless you're asoccer mom.

My Tacoma was made in Texas. My buddys GMC Colorado was made in Mexico.

Yeah...the last time I considered the Tacoma, the choices locally were the TuRD Off-Road and TuRD Sport. Toyota is even worse then GM and Ford, as far as packages go. Ex. Just want the JBL audio system as an upgrade? You’ve got to pick a TuRD, which is going to end up being ~$40k out the door.

I have to wonder if the lack of safety doodads is why the ‘17’s that I’m seeing used are still $31-35k.

The TuRDs I’ve seen have a lot of other stuff on them that base models don’t. As far as holding value goes, They have the reputation for quality and longevity, also used car prices are very high right now for many reasons. It’s not uncommon for people to shop for a used Tacoma or 4Runner and realize that for a couple thousand more they can have a new one. Don’t expect to save big money on these, I mean it’s not a land rover or bmw that loses thousands a month in value.

The TuRDs I’ve seen have a lot of other stuff on them that base models don’t. As far as holding value goes, They have the reputation for quality and longevity, also used car prices are very high right now for many reasons. It’s not uncommon for people to shop for a used Tacoma or 4Runner and realize that for a couple thousand more they can have a new one. Don’t expect to save big money on these, I mean it’s not a land rover or bmw that loses thousands a month in value.

That is definitely the case. The issue though is that dealers in my area pretty much don’t stock the SR or SR5. If you want a 4WD crew cab Tacoma locally...it’s going to be a TRD.

Is the Hilux very different from Tacoma? I thought that the Tacoma is the US version of the Hilux.

My research vehicle in Panama is a HiLux and I previously owned a tacoma. The Hilux is a bit more utilitarian and the Hilux standard engine is a diesel. To get a diesel in the US Tacoma you have to pony up for the high end packages. My Tacoma was not the TRD version, so I might be a bit off, but my impression is that the Tacoma is built to a more on-road refined standard for the US market. The Hilux just seems like a more solidly built vehicle for off road.

My research vehicle in Panama is a HiLux and I previously owned a tacoma. The Hilux is a bit more utilitarian and the Hilux standard engine is a diesel. To get a diesel in the US Tacoma you have to pony up for the high end packages. My Tacoma was not the TRD version, so I might be a bit off, but my impression is that the Tacoma is built to a more on-road refined standard for the US market. The Hilux just seems like a more solidly built vehicle for off road.

There is no diesel for option for the Tacoma in the U.S. As far as I know, the only diesel option in the mid-size U.S. truck segment is in the Chevy/GMC Colorado/whatever GMC calls it.

I wouldn’t want to screw with a light duty diesel that meets U.S. emissions requirements. The juice just isn’t worth the squeeze to me, with the additional upkeep cost. Ex DEF, more frequent fuel filter changes, etc. What I want is an older foreign market diesel vehicle.

There is no diesel for option for the Tacoma in the U.S. As far as I know, the only diesel option in the mid-size U.S. truck segment is in the Chevy/GMC Colorado/whatever GMC calls it.

I wouldn’t want to screw with a light duty diesel that meets U.S. emissions requirements. The juice just isn’t worth the squeeze to me, with the additional upkeep cost. Ex DEF, more frequent fuel filter changes, etc. What I want is an older foreign market diesel vehicle.
I've got it
Mercedes G class 1980-1992
Uncle of mine in Germany used 2 for hunting and they were really cool and reliable as well as they held their value...
<TG>
:smalllogo:

Oops, you're absolutely right. I was confusing it the diesel option in the Colorado. I agree, not worth it in the US. On the other hand, I do love my Hilux with it's little diesel. For environmental reasons, I'm glad for the US emission standards, but it would be nice have those little reliable diesels here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom