Pony Bottle Set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIHappyDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I’m planning on doing some solo diving starting in the spring, but not a lot. I currently have 1 reg set so will need to add a set for a pony bottle, and am looking at the DRIS Illusion reg line. So, here’s the question; Do I add strictly a stage set at $269 or spend the extra $60 and have a full set as a backup that I can strip down when doing solo (I realize the high pressure hose for the SPG will be much longer than typical, but it seems like a fair trade off). This is not so much a question of the cost difference as it is stripping one of the second stages and the inflator hose off, then putting them back on, a few times a season. While I know how to do this, should I do this?

Appreciate any input,

Erik

If you are solo diving you do not need an octo on your primary regulator set, your alternate second stage can go on your alternate air source. If you keep an alternate on your primary tank then you have 3 second stages to manage and that is generally unnecessary.

On your SPG question you do not need a very long HP hose. If you are carrying the second bottle as a stage cylinder you only need a short hose connected to the SPG. The bottle would be on your left side and it just needs to be long enough for you to see it on your left side. You could also argue you do not need a full size SPG, just a button gauge to ensure the tank is full at the start of the dive. If you have planned right you have ensured that the tank has sufficient capacity to reach the surface from your planned dive depth, so if you switch to you alternate air source your dive is over and you make an immediate ascent. If you are mounting the second bottle attached to your tank I would argue you do not want a long SPG routed. Either use a second AI module (if you have AI computer) or use a button gauge to check pressure at beginning of dive.

As I have described it you only "need" a second first stage, you would simply move your alternate second stage back and forth when you move from buddy team diving to solo diving.

If you are solo diving you do not need an octo on your primary regulator set, your alternate second stage can go on your alternate air source. If you keep an alternate on your primary tank then you have 3 second stages to manage and that is generally unnecessary.

On your SPG question you do not need a very long HP hose. If you are carrying the second bottle as a stage cylinder you only need a short hose connected to the SPG. The bottle would be on your left side and it just needs to be long enough for you to see it on your left side. You could also argue you do not need a full size SPG, just a button gauge to ensure the tank is full at the start of the dive. If you have planned right you have ensured that the tank has sufficient capacity to reach the surface from your planned dive depth, so if you switch to you alternate air source your dive is over and you make an immediate ascent. If you are mounting the second bottle attached to your tank I would argue you do not want a long SPG routed. Either use a second AI module (if you have AI computer) or use a button gauge to check pressure at beginning of dive.

As I have described it you only "need" a second first stage, you would simply move your alternate second stage back and forth when you move from buddy team diving to solo diving.

So, you would recommend skipping both the stage reg set and the full set and just get a first stage as well as a SPG on an 8 inch hose, or even a button gauge. With this setup I would just move my current primary (40 inch hose) to the first stage on the pony, and use my bungeed secondary as my primary, giving me the sets that I need for the solo dives. This would definitely save me some money.

It would also seem that you answered one of my main questions in a round about way, that my lack of experience in taking reg sets apart is not enough of an issue to warrant a dedicated pony set. And, if that is the case, then the question is am I better off spending a bit more to have a full reg set that I can strip down for solo dives but also have for a backup to my main set?

I agree with loosenit2.

As for taking regs apart, no big deal. Get a nice set of marine grade spanner wrenches and you should have a set of spare o rings.

As far as a backup goes, it depends. If you're shore diving or at a place close to home it's probably not worth it. If you're boat diving, charters, splitting gas with friends or in a situation where some sort of failure could ruin a day at the same cost as a back up, it might be worth the expense.

FWIW, I keep a back up and have had to use it on a charter and private trip. **** happens sometimes. Tanks can go tumbling on the deck.

If cost isn’t an issue...just put together a dedicated pony bottle regulator setup. Convenience wise, it’s nice to not have to screw around reconfiguring regulator setups depending on the occasion.

Even diving solo, I just keep the two second stages on my primary regulator setup. That’s just me, but as was already stated...you could pull your backup second/“octo” and use that on your pony bottle setup.

It’s nice to have backups, too. I’ve got one tub that I keep in my truck (I do mostly shore diving) that has extra of pretty much everything. Ex. First, second, hoses, etc. If something doesn’t checkout on my pre-dive check, I’ll just yank the piece of gear, replace it, and deal with the failed piece later.

May I recommend the MK2 Evo + button gauge with DIN for a very compact and rugged pony reg setup. It's a world apart from a bulkier and/or yoke reg on a slung bottle. That 2nd stage/hose bungeed to the bottle is super low profile and it won't make a difference in terms of 'management' whether you have one or two 2nd stages on your back gas. You just always bring it.

What are you diving now? Do you dive the streamline configuration?

I do not know the DRIS line of regulators but that price for the full streamline set is hard to pass up. I would buy the streamline set up and remove the 22 inch hose, second stage and inflator hose to keep as backup. I would also either add a 6 inch hose and use that with the SPG or just get a 15 dollar button gauge and have a spare SPG too.

As for your main set up, I would leave as is with the alternate for all your dives.

As an alternative, if you like the idea of the button gauge, just buy the regulator set for 224 and add a button gauge.

Thanks for all the input so far!
@CuzzA, I figured taking it apart would be no big deal but needed reassurance. Ya don’t know what ya don’t know, and I didn’t know if I would be causing a failure point. Regarding the backup, some boat/charter but mainly shore dives. Occasionally a 1-2 hour drive, so could mean a blown day, but not big cost.
@Barnaby'sDad, not so much that cost is not an issue, just the difference on these two sets was so small that it seemed to make sense to go big. There is something to be said about not having to reconfigure setups. Also, I planned on keeping my main set configure as is, mainly because my primary is on the 40” hose, and it breathes better than my secondary. I’m only willing to sacrifice so much LOL.
@Divectionist, that is a very aesthetically pleasing first stage but, at $405, it fails the WAF (wife acceptance factor). Otherwise, I love how streamlined it is.
@uncfnp, yes, I am diving a streamlined configured set of Deep 6 regs. I haven’t seen any of the DRIS regs myself but the reviews are good, and I’ve always had good dealings with the store (just took the equipment class with them remotely, it was fun). I was originally thinking the same thing as you; Buy the streamlined set and configure it for a pony, giving me spares. Great minds....

Thanks, everyone, for sharing your time with me. Stay safe,

Erik

One thing to keep in mind is to be sure you have an extra port plug to use if you end up with the full set and need to remove the extra hose and regulator.

removing/adding a LP/HP hose to a first stage is very simple. Just need a crescent wrench and an allen wrench. Allen wrench to take out the port plug and crescent wrench to unscrew/tighten the hose (HP and LP ports have different size plugs so you can't screw it up by placing a LP hose on an HP port or vice versa). Only things you really have to worry about is 1. checking o-ring on plug/hose to make sure it is still good, maybe adding a little (very little) silicone grease to it, and 2. don't over tighten the plug/hose, you are screwing into a brass 1st stage and you don't want to over tighten or you will cause damage, just a nudge more than finger tight is sufficient.

If money is not a concern then get the dedicated pony regulator. If money is a concern what I described above works.

Back
Top Bottom