Poseidon Atmosphere vs OTS Guardian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MavinMarv

Registered
Reaction score
I am currently in the market for a FFM and trying to decide between the two, but leaning towards the Atmos due to already having a Poseidon Xstream reg set. I have tried the OTS Guardian before and it is a nice FFM but stumbled upon the Poseidon Atmos FFM when I did some online research but haven't used it before so that's my main concern and no LDS near me has one to try it. I know it mainly comes down to fit, breathing comfort and servicing for the most part but just wanted to hear peoples experiences with the Poseidon Atmosphere if anyone uses one or if someone has used both and can tell me which one you like better and why. Are you able to use any comms with the Atmos? I already have a Poseidon Xstream 1st and 2nd stage with an octo and love them! I do notice it comes with a Jetstream reg instead of an Xstream reg though. Also I only recreationally dive, no commercial diving but PCSing to Germany next year due to the USAF and most of Europe is cold water diving.

I’ve used the ots for years, it’s a solid mask and seems to be lower profile then some of the others. They have optional accessory rails for cameras or lights and the coms are easy to install and remove. I’ve used it on an ice dives and it performed well below freezing. I have no experience with the atmos.

own a Poseidon *and LOTS of Poseidon regs*, and have lots of hours on the Guardian. I'd choose Guardian over Poseidon.
Couple reasons
ABV/SAV-Poseidon doesn't have one
Comms-Poseidon uses the AGA comms, but it goes in upside down and the cords come out the wrong side. Can probably custom order them in "normal" orientation, but the standard ones aren't.
Misc. other accessories that Poseidon hasn't prioritized dealing with.
Should also be cheaper than the Poseidon

I have used the Atmosphere masks for years, without any complaints, save, only, for their current price; and I have found that the ambient breathing valves of other brands, simply lend another level of unnecessary complexity; an added capacity for failure; and maintenance to an already complicated device.

Having used them, on occasion, I can either take them or leave them.

That said, ninety percent of the time that I use FFMs, are either from boat decks or dive kayaks; and I don them moments before entry, like that of any other diver with a conventional "split" mask; so, any squandering of air before a potential dive is academic -- minimal at best; and I've also used gas manifolds in the past, which freed up access to additional air supplies, if need be.

The remaining ten percent, are shore dives; and I will typically swim out to a given site, the mask clipped to my vest; and don it just before diving, which may only involve the brief removal of gloves for a few moments, to properly adjust straps -- and to ensure a proper seal . . .

Back
Top Bottom