Pony Bottle Set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@CuzzA, I figured taking it apart would be no big deal but needed reassurance. Ya don’t know what ya don’t know, and I didn’t know if I would be causing a failure point. Regarding the backup, some boat/charter but mainly shore dives. Occasionally a 1-2 hour drive, so could mean a blown day, but not big cost.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you having never taken hoses off a reg before gives me pause that you should be solo diving. You can take regs apart underwater if need be in an emergency, like swapping first stages on bottles for example. These are thing you should know before going at it solo. I think you should take the extra cash and take a solo diving course. This will increase your confidence which is important when solo diving.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you having never taken hoses off a reg before gives me pause that you should be solo diving. You can take regs apart underwater if need be in an emergency, like swapping first stages on bottles for example. These are thing you should know before going at it solo. I think you should take the extra cash and take a solo diving course. This will increase your confidence which is important when solo diving.

Yup. On a long enough timeline...if you dive enough...everyone is going to experience some kind of regulator issue that causes them to have to either: 1. Fix yourself on the spot, 2. Rent a regulator set from a dive operator (if that’s an option), or 3. Not dive that day if options #1 and #2 aren’t possible.

I haven’t been diving long and I’ve seen instances of all three of those scenarios play out. If you’re like me and you have to drive 2+ hours every time you go diving, it pays to know how to address stuff on the fly and to have options to fall back on. Ex. If you don’t have spare parts, you should have access to rental equipment just in case.

No, not taking it the wrong way. I have taken hoses off, swapped them out and reconfigured my set a few times. It actually came to me setup wrong, so even had to do it when I first got it. I don’t do it often, though. Also, the diving in this area generally has me maxing out at 30-40 feet. That being said, I have been trying to find a class and am coming up empty on both the SDI and PADI front. I would prefer to take the class first, so I’ll keep looking.
No, I took your point as nothing but concern, and I appreciate it.
Erik

I have been solo diving for over a year now and just completed the SDI solo course this last saturday. The course was a good one but I would not say that the course will give you.the confidence to solo dive, you have to develop that confidence in your own and execute a lot of self study and drilling. Not trying to discourage the course, just don’t think it is enough by itself to build confidence.

Assuming you are diving within your ability and skill, there is one really good reason to get a solo cert... In case **** happens, your insurance may not cover you since you were diving solo without being certified. However, if **** happens while your solo and you can't get to the surface safely... your out of luck anyways.

I believe RAID has their solo/self-reliant course documents available free. I'd make sure you practice and know those skills well. Make sure you have the gear for it, practice the skills and already know what your failure plans are... such as entanglement, failure of bcd, etc... Also, bring lots and lots of air with you.

I usually just buy a set at a time now. 1x first stage and 1x second. Even if you only need just one, it ends up being more cost effective in the long term or you can swap it out if something happens.

Safe Diving

Assuming you are diving within your ability and skill, there is one really good reason to get a solo cert... In case **** happens, your insurance may not cover you since you were diving solo without being certified. However, if **** happens while your solo and you can't get to the surface safely... your out of luck anyways.

I believe RAID has their solo/self-reliant course documents available free. I'd make sure you practice and know those skills well. Make sure you have the gear for it, practice the skills and already know what your failure plans are... such as entanglement, failure of bcd, etc... Also, bring lots and lots of air with you.

I usually just buy a set at a time now. 1x first stage and 1x second. Even if you only need just one, it ends up being more cost effective in the long term or you can swap it out if something happens.

Safe Diving

That and there are places (ex. Quarries with controlled access) that you can’t dive solo unless you have a solo cert.

I’ll get the cert at some point because: 1. The course curriculum would be nice to know, and 2. If I want to go diving locally and can’t line up a buddy that day, I’ll still be able to go diving that day.

That and there are places (ex. Quarries with controlled access) that you can’t dive solo unless you have a solo cert.
Teach me something. If you're Tec certified, does that count? Or will they require a Solo card specifically? I've never dived a quarry.

Teach me something. If you're Tec certified, does that count? Or will they require a Solo card specifically? I've never dived a quarry.

Unfortunately not. You could have Tec, DM, Rescue, etc. if you don’t have a Solo cert, you aren’t diving Solo. If you get cute and check-in saying that you’re going to meet a buddy and get caught diving solo...you’ll get the boot.

I’ve done black water dives solo and solo dives to 105’ in the Atlantic. I can’t dive solo in a glorified swimming pool without that cert.

I’ll get the cert at some point because: 1. The course curriculum would be nice to know, and 2. If I want to go diving locally and can’t line up a buddy that day, I’ll still be able to go diving that day.

i suspect I dive the same quarry as @Barnaby'sDad in Rawlings, va; their policy was the primary driver for me getting solo certified, so I could train without a buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom