O2 Bottle for Cavern, Cave or Deep OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where are you in Florida - these guys know every taco joint in the entire state and could recommend an instructor close by, the ones I know are in Mexico for the month.

I see it says your located in FL im sure its super easy to find a used S40. Should be able to pick one up for like $100 or less if you shop around. If you want to get into tech diving/cave diving and you are able to afford ANDP courses, cave courses, etc. then I think $100 for a tank is nothing in the grand scheme of things. In the end you will see tech diving is alot of gear. Buying a dedicated s40 is literally just the tip of the iceberg. Wait till you end up buying several dedicated tanks for bail outs that just ending up sitting full for years. Or wait till you start pricing out booster, compressors, all the plumbing for a fill station, bulk He, etc.

The unfortunate reality is you're just gonna end up with a ton of bottles if you continue to progress down this path. The most efficient plan for you, should you choose to pursue both cave and deeper OW stuff, is a 40 that's dedicated to O2 and an 80 dedicated to 50%. Use the 40 of O2 for your cave dives and the 80 of 50% for your deep OW dives. They pair up really nice on down the road for longer OW bottom times and deeper caves.

No AL80's please. :) My present tanks include 2 HP100's (my doubles) 2 LP85s, 1 AL40, 3 AL63 (my daughter breathes like a fish, HP80's for her when she is out of school and has a job. I have never liked AL, to land for my frame, when I can get the short steal with better fills.

Hopefully you'll learn that isn't the best choice. AN/DP should teach you enough that you can plan square dives or just long dives and plan all your gases accordingly. An Al40 with a dedicated reg is a must really, sure you can rent one but you'll need one every dive. The broader your diving becomes, the more experience you have - you'll figure out what gases work for your dives - 50 and 100 is a great start.

Done, I have the Reg, will order then tank tomorrow.

Where are you in Florida - these guys know every taco joint in the entire state and could recommend an instructor close by, the ones I know are in Mexico for the month.

I am in Davenport, I can see Disney Fireworks at night. My issue for classes is my work schdule. I never know when I can going to have the 3-4 weekends to do the training, until I am there. I call up and say, hey have any classes, and they are like sorry full. We can get you in a month, and I am like, sorry not available in a month, they say good luck. I have been directed to multiple instructors from here, and same story.

I see it says your located in FL im sure its super easy to find a used S40. Should be able to pick one up for like $100 or less if you shop around. If you want to get into tech diving/cave diving and you are able to afford ANDP courses, cave courses, etc. then I think $100 for a tank is nothing in the grand scheme of things. In the end you will see tech diving is alot of gear. Buying a dedicated s40 is literally just the tip of the iceberg. Wait till you end up buying several dedicated tanks for bail outs that just ending up sitting full for years. Or wait till you start pricing out booster, compressors, all the plumbing for a fill station, bulk He, etc.

No AL80's please. :) My present tanks include 2 HP100's (my doubles) 2 LP85s, 1 AL40, 3 AL63 (my daughter breathes like a fish, HP80's for her when she is out of school and has a job. I have never liked AL, to land for my frame, when I can get the short steal with better fills.

Done, I have the Reg, will order then tank tomorrow.

I am in Davenport, I can see Disney Fireworks at night. My issue for classes is my work schdule. I never know when I can going to have the 3-4 weekends to do the training, until I am there. I call up and say, hey have any classes, and they are like sorry full. We can get you in a month, and I am like, sorry not available in a month, they say good luck. I have been directed to multiple instructors from here, and same story.

I’ll teach your class whenever you want, on your schedule without breaking standards. I’m mostly retired and just fly or dive every day.

Al80s are the answer for stage and deco bottles, not steels.

They’re roughly neutral. Steels are not.

There's ZERO decompression allowed at the Cavern or Intro to Cave levels through TDI. Z-E-R-O.

Al80s are the answer for stage and deco bottles, not steels.

They’re roughly neutral. Steels are not.
Yep!
Steels are great for a back gas.
Aluminum (40s and 80s) are the go to bottle for stage and bail out.
Once you are in the class and learn stuff you will see why. Not knowing before class, well that is why there is a class to teach you things.

I expect anyone taking an AN/DP class to already have their own primary and deco cylinders before they sign up for the class. I really like to see them have some dives in the configuration they are going to use prior to that. If you commit to an AN/DP class with me, I'll set up a workshop at no charge to help you rig the bottles and check your weighting and trim. Then go get 10 + dives in that setup. With me or someone else just for fun.
At that point, we can start the class.

This is also what an Intro to Tech class can be used for with the right instructor. I have seen some use it as a "try dive" type deal with doubles and sling a bottle but not really work on getting things dialed in. I don't do that. We may not be going to 100 feet in the class but, it is not going to be a light swim around and look at stuff while wearing "tech gear."
It's going to be constant skills on all the dives, minimum of 4, with a pool session or two thrown in. It's also why my Intro Class is $425.00 and that does not include any gear (except we may use my reels) or fills.
The purpose is to build a foundation for further training. With me or anyone else. The better I prepare you, the less work it is for the next instructor, and the more fun it will be for you since you won't be overwhelmed.
That includes a detailed discussion of the gear. Choosing the right cylinders, why they are the right ones, where will the most versatility be found, regs, exposure suit types, reels and lights, etc.
So when you show up for subsequent classes you can hit the ground running.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom