Steel tank help needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DawsonDownUnder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi team

I'm relatively new to the sport and have just picked up a tank and need some help identifying it.

The guy I bought it off said it was a 12.2L.tank but I'm not so sure.

The photo is of all the markings on the top.

The tank is tagged so still in service. More interested in understanding the capacity.

Attachments

• 20201201_212635.jpg
    20201201_212635.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 184
Not a ton of info, dimensions would be helpful.

Looks like a US spec tank "DOT 3AA"
2250 PSI base working pressure. +10% if current hydro is plus rated (at least here in the US) for 2475psi
Original hydro date is 09-1972 and was plus rated from the factory at that time.

If WC on your paper is the measured water capacity expressed in weight, then it would seem to be a 12L. 12L of water is just over 26lbs. https://www.thecalculatorsite.com/conversions/common/water-weight.php

2475psi = 170.6bar
12L * 170.6 = 2047L = 72.4.cuft

And I'm assuming TW is tare weight with the valve?

Maybe an old LP72?

Is this what you're looking for?

72 cu ft Standard
Service pressure: 2250 psi
Working pressure: 2475 psi (2250 psi +10%)
Actual air capacity: 71.2 ft3 (at a working pressure of 2475 psi)
Outer diameter: 6.9 in
Length without valve: 25.1 in
Empty weight: 26 lbs (w/o valve)
Buoyancy Empty: 0 lbs (w/valve)
Buoyancy Full: -5.4 lbs (w/valve)

Capacity at:
2500 71.9
2600 74.7
2700 77.6
2800 80.5
2900 83.4
3000 86.3

and

This data came from one of my US divers 1970's maintenance and repair manuals:

72 cu ft Standard

Service pressure, psi : 2250
Actual air capacity, ft3 (at 2475 psi): 71.55
Outer diameter, in: 6.81
Length without valve, in: 25.12
Empty weight, lbs (w/o valve): 26
Buoyancy Empty, lbs (w/valve): 0
Buoyancy Full, lbs (w/valve): -5.4

They are not all the same. As mentioned above, there were at least two manufacturers of this cylinders, and they were built for many years. They came with 1/2" tapered pipe thread, 3/4" straight pipe thread, and some even had 1/2" straight pipe threads (mostly Sportsways).
Out of all my 72's one in particular is taller than the rest. There are also other smaller variations.

Wow. Thanks for that feedback.

I measured the tank and it's 65cm X 17cm (6.7x25 inch)

Also included a photo for context.

I take it a dive store will be able to confirm this for me too?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201202-075229_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20201202-075229_Chrome.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 140
Wow, that quote (from @-JD- ) is from a post from 2006.

I look at the data from that manual and when I see the capacity shown as 71.55 cu.ft., I have laugh. Showing that kind of precision is right down ridiculous. Since that post I have actually measured most of my steel 72 and not a single one has that capacity. The majority (and the average) are actually under 71 cu.ft.

LP72 , is it in test and stamped? I see you are in Australia, the rules for testing cylinders in Australia are not the the same as USA or Europe.
Here is mine [a 1972- 72] half full of air but now out of test. buy a new 12.2 steel and be done with it, they are not that expensive for what you get and if [when] the 72 fails [if you can find a test station to test it] you will not be out of pocket and have brand new cylinder, remember it's "LIFE SUPPORT" not an add on .
20201202_105717.jpg

Yep the Tank is in test.. until April 2021 :) Just trying to confirm the capacity which is looking more and more likely to be a 12Ltr

Ok, good, where did the previous owner have the test done , also can you do a close up of the test stamp please?

If a 12.2l Faber is a 100cft what is a 72cft tank
I would try answer but my fingers are all seized up from work this morning and my brain hurts with numbers

Ok, good, where did the previous owner have the test done , also can you do a close up of the test stamp please?

There is a small stamp with the test date on it with 01/04/20 What other additional information should I be looking for on the tank? The diveshop used was a local (Western Australian) shop. All other information that's on the tank is provided in the photo in my first post.

Yeah but he asked for a photo please and providing photos of the markings on tanks necks is the standard and usually yields better results and people like pertinent photos especially from those requesting information as a common courtesy and I bought two tanks recently that had been repainted with home printed stickers and forged stamped test stamps that's all

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom