ATTENTION UW PHOTOGRAPHERS:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2020.01,25- Green light through CUN with two carry-ons full of UW camera gear and a suitcase full of dive gear. No hassle.

2020.01,25- Green light through CUN with two carry-ons full of UW camera gear and a suitcase full of dive gear. No hassle.

Based on the discussion, this issue seems limited to two points of entry in Baja (international airport arrivals to Cabo San Lucas and La Paz). Nobody has reported issues with being "taxed" in Cancun or other Mexican entry points; in fact an avoidance measure discussed has been to fly in through say Mexico City and then take a domestic flight to Baja.

Anyone have further updates on Baja? Time to start planning my ingress.

So I heard from my friend in Cabo; coming back for shark season she got the dreaded red light at Cabo airport and her housing got "taxed."

A bit of a moot point for now with all the coronavirus disruptions, but flying through Mexico City I had no issues. To be on the safe side, I had completely disassembled my TG-5 setup with the housing, most of the arm pieces, and the wet lens in my carry-on pack and the strobes, tray, and remaining arm pieces packed with my clothes in a checked duffel bag.

According to the one US crew member from my tour op I spoke to, she got tagged for her housing when reentering Mexico earlier this year but managed to talk the figure down to something manageable. She was told that she wouldn't have to pay the "tax" again, although whether this was because she lives and works in Mexico I'm not sure.

I saw this thread before leaving and placed my camera in my luggage before going to the RED light GREEN light customs/luggage line. Sure enough my Pelican case was recognized and funny I got a RED light. That thing is rigged somehow! When the agent looked in the case I said "its just my dive gear like computer, and hard drive cards etc etc".....they said you have a camera? "I said oh sorry......here is my little ole GoPro". He looked at it, closed the case and moved on.
Here is my advice, as I fly threw there several times a year and have used this method 2 times now:
Carry a Pelican case or something that looks like a camera case BUT don't put your housing or camera in it going threw this portion of the airport. I get my luggage, put my housing and camera in my luggage disassembled and then go threw the RED/GREEN light cue. If you get the dreaded RED light, then you have a fighting chance. They will focus on your camera case and not whats necessarily wrapped in your underwear in the luggage ha ha.
NO THIS IS NOT A FULL PROOF METHOD. :)

I flew to Cabo via Mexico City; unlike airports in the USA my checked baggage was (presumably) x-rayed and then loaded onto my Cabo flight without my involvement. I just had to run my carry-on (with most of the camera parts) through the normal security x-ray. Once on the ground in Cabo the only thing I had to pass my bags through was the agricultural scanner.

I think one person on our trip got tagged, but he flew direct into Cabo and was literally holding the housing in his hands as a carry-on, no bag. Oops.

Just got back from Socorro and I got robbed of $100 at the SJD airport when I arrived. Had a compact camera with housing, gopro, and a small drone. I'm nowhere near being a pro, just seems like a pointless money grab to me. Travelling to Mexico is def bottom of the list now

I traveled to SJD on 11/19 and was never even asked about a housing. I had the same strategy as my last visit a year ago, which was to appear as innocuous as possible - dive gear was in a duffel bag, housing in a carry-on suitcase and cameras in a normal backpack.

Just got back from Socorro and I got robbed of $100 at the SJD airport when I arrived. Had a compact camera with housing, gopro, and a small drone. I'm nowhere near being a pro, just seems like a pointless money grab to me.

That is a money grab! what do you expect from a corrupt government. The Mexican government should not take money from people going on vacation with a cameras.

This is typically done for professional film companies that will be filming on location, you get your permits before you get there. With proper documentation from the local government, the production companies usually will get tax breaks. The tax breaks help considering you have a full crew 5 to 30 people or more, we rent a number hotel rooms, rental cars and trucks and dropping a lot of money on the local economy. This can be 2 weeks up to a few months of shooting on location, for production companies this is the way it works. If you do not have a permit while filming and you get caught, the local government will shut you down and give you a hefty fine and might confiscate you equipment.

This is common practice for professional production companies filming anywhere in the world. But jacking tourist going on vacation with camera gear is just wrong in many way's!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom