Cayman’s dive industry fights to stay afloat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shore diving may never be a major "money maker" for Cayman dive ops, but it can be a big draw for dive travelers that want to stretch their budget and get in a lot of diving, like the packages offered by @Divetech Cayman that include unlimited shore diving at their house reef: https://www.divetech.com/packages

It's also a nice option for divers who are traveling with non-diving family members; it can help them get in some dives when convenient, without taking away too much time from family.

I don't think that shore diving would ever become a main economic driver on Cayman like it is on Bonaire, but it's an attractive bonus; plus it can be fun!

I wonder what the age demographics of the diving crowd are that visit Cayman? I assume that it skews >55. If true, those are the most unlikely candidates for shore diving.

My point was that shore diving doesn’t matter one way or another if you can’t get there anyway.

I wonder what the age demographics of the diving crowd are that visit Cayman? I assume that it skews >55. If true, those are the most unlikely candidates for shore diving.

That's true, shore diving does get more strenuous when you are older. We wouldn't plan to do another Bonaire shore diving vacation at our ages, but the Grand Cayman dive ops that offer shore diving often have a dive pier and easy, convenient facilities on their house reef, and we have taken advantage of those options in recent years.

About 6 months ago, this very issue was raised before the CITA. A CITA watersports meeting was held for discussion of the topic. As was expected, some members were dead set against it, other members were in favor of it, and others had no opinion. (Remember that the CITA watersports segment includes many more snorkeling operators than diving operators.)

The issue was tabled so the proposal could be more clearly re-written, and it was slated to be voted on again. However since then, CITA held their annual elections and a new BOD was voted in. I am pleased to say that I am one of the CITA Board members, representing the Watersports sector. The current priorities of the CITA Board of Directors is working with Government to formulate a safe reopening plan for the islands.

A safe plan can confidently be established. The VP of the CITA Board of Directors is Dr. Michael Tibbets (owner of Clearly Cayman,) who along with Kel Thompson have started their own initiative called Reopen Cayman. A Safe & Measured Reopening For The Cayman Islands | Reopen Cayman

Dr. Tibbets has collected vast amounts of data from other islands that are currently open, examining what works, and what doesn't, and can demonstrate that with a multi-faceted plan, the risk of contracting and dying from COVID19 is very slight. I'd encourage everyone to visit his site and take a look at it.

Many things are being considered for a safe reopening plan. The border reopening will consist of many things, not just a vaccine. Social distancing, masks, pre-arrival resting (Cayman does not do this currently,) regular rapid testing (data has suggested that frequent rapid testing is a more effective to less frequent PCR tests,) hygiene standards.

Vaccines are being considered of course, but this is not the magic bullet. As some of you may have seen, there is some reluctance on the part of some residents here to actually take the vaccine. A recent Cayman Compass poll has shown that only 60% of the respondents were willing to take one. Other local polls show even lower numbers. 70-80% of the population must be inoculated in order for herd immunity to take effect. There is also the availability of these new vaccines. Vaccines in and of themselves will not stop the problem, which is why a multi-pronged solution is required.

Tony

FYI, American Airlines has just announced a new pre-flight, at-home covid testing program under the supervision of a medical professional via an virtual visit, the USVI are already on-board with the program, see the link below. This program might help Cayman with re-opening plans, and I'm guessing that if it is successful then other airlines will offer similar testing programs.

USVI Partners With American Airlines on Preflight Testing Program LetsGetChecked | St. Thomas Source

According to the Cayman DOT (2018 figures for stayover guests)

Median Age - 45 years old
Average Age - 42 years old
The age group 36-49 accounted for 24.8% share. This age group was followed closely behind by the 50-60 age category at 22.4% and 19-35 age group at 18.6%.

A lot of people shore dive. We have guests (residents and tourists) in their 80's+ who shore dive. We have guests that do nothing but shore dive, and love it. Of course we have guests who hate shore diving.

Of course of the 25+ dive operators on the island, less than 8 have shore diving facilities, so our perspective may be a bit skewed.

Tony

According to the Cayman DOT (2018 figures for stayover guests)

Median Age - 45 years old
Average Age - 42 years old
The age group 36-49 accounted for 24.8% share. This age group was followed closely behind by the 50-60 age category at 22.4% and 19-35 age group at 18.6%.

A lot of people shore dive. We have guests (residents and tourists) in their 80's+ who shore dive. We have guests that do nothing but shore dive, and love it. Of course we have guests who hate shore diving.

Of course of the 25+ dive operators on the island, less than 8 have shore diving facilities, so our perspective may be a bit skewed.

Tony

Stayover guests include all those families with kids that stay at 7MB. Not really useful here. Guess about 80% of stayover guests?

I doubt that the availability of shore diving will move the needle on divers. When I sell Cayman to my customers, it’s the walls that sell. I did the CC shore dive (off the pier), when the wind allowed, it was ho hum.

About 6 months ago, this very issue was raised before the CITA. A CITA watersports meeting was held for discussion of the topic. As was expected, some members were dead set against it, other members were in favor of it, and others had no opinion. (Remember that the CITA watersports segment includes many more snorkeling operators than diving operators.)

Thank you for the update! Very good to know. I understand that many people don't want to engage in solo shore diving, and some may not want to support it via their business, which is fine. I remain perplexed that some people seem to be, to use your term, dead set against other people doing it. Live and let live...

My point was that shore diving doesn’t matter one way or another if you can’t get there anyway.

Very true. What I have in mind is the certified diver resident who may well be financially squeezed right now and wouldn't pay for a $150 2-tank boat trip, but might pay $20 to rent a couple of tanks, and might have his own weights or rent those, let's say $30 total, to get in 2 shore dives. Not a big money maker for the dive shop, but when your alternative is making no money, and it puts minimal added burden on the business to provide the service, something to think about.

To follow up what KathyV posted, when we're not in a pandemic shut down, it can impact destination choice. I like Cayman diving, and would considering Grand Cayman for one of my 'scuba trips disguised as a family vacation,' as my wife calls it. But I'd want the option to get in a few solo shore dives. This affects a minority of dive tourists, but we exist, and we spend money where we go...

I doubt that the availability of shore diving will move the needle on divers. When I sell Cayman to my customers, it’s the walls that sell. I did the CC shore dive (off the pier), when the wind allowed, it was ho hum.

I love the shore diving. I was surprised at the ease and availability of shore diving. This is something that is not talked about or sold to the public at most dive shops. You say shore dive and they say Bonaire or South beach Fl. Every shop I go in I say shore dive and Cayman and they are like We did not know it was even a thing. Turtle reef Sun divers is one of the best dives of my life with Macabucas to eat at when you get out. I challenge anyone to have a more relaxing Dive.
I will be back when this settles down

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom