Katana 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The amount of fiddle I hear required to dial in one’s rig (regardless of brand) will have me RUNNING to a reputable instructor so I get properly trained on a known baseline from which I can later make informed adjustments.

For me, the fiddling is half the fun. I'm fortunate to have my own machine shop and get to design my own failures :)

Oh, yeah...I wouldn’t include your fabrication activities in the fiddling bin. You’re doing some next-level Jedi stuff I can only dream of in my crummy little garage. I’m just talking about the endless micro-adjustments my Australian and English dive buddies go through and seeing the global amplification of that here.

Just got a Katana 2 and am really looking forward to trying it out. I may try out some LP108s I have to see if they will work, but I've heard that they will be fairly large for sidemount with the majority here in FL running LP85s. A question I had was about switching the harness to the H style? Is there any reason to do this? Is the H style better with heavier steel tanks and if so, why? I'm used to diving a doubles setup if that makes any difference.

Just got a Katana 2 and am really looking forward to trying it out. I may try out some LP108s I have to see if they will work, but I've heard that they will be fairly large for sidemount with the majority here in FL running LP85s. A question I had was about switching the harness to the H style? Is there any reason to do this? Is the H style better with heavier steel tanks and if so, why? I'm used to diving a doubles setup if that makes any difference.

You don't need to change to h style for steels. Some people and instructors (Edd and his followers) are hardcore on the H harness side. It's not necessary. Some people prefer it, I don't and most of the people I dive with don't

I don’t dive mine with the H harness. I don’t know what that does actually.

While I have not had the chance to dive the Katana 2, I do teach sidemount and dive that config exclusively unless I am on the rebreather.

I love seeing people state that they want to take a course with a reputable SM instructor. Most think about the skills and feel they can learn them on their own but what they fail to see are all the small things an instructor can help with in the course. Things such as setting up the rig, what the different adjustments do and how to make those micro-adjustments. This also goes for the cylinder rigging.

Kudos to those who see the full picture.

While I have not had the chance to dive the Katana 2, I do teach sidemount and dive that config exclusively unless I am on the rebreather.

I love seeing people state that they want to take a course with a reputable SM instructor. Most think about the skills and feel they can learn them on their own but what they fail to see are all the small things an instructor can help with in the course. Things such as setting up the rig, what the different adjustments do and how to make those micro-adjustments. This also goes for the cylinder rigging.

I certainly appreciate those that want to take a class and am sure it could be quite helpful, but I'm not sure a class is needed for everything. For example, I learned to dive doubles on my own with friends help. I have a number of buddies who dive sidemount who thankfully are willing to offer advice and assistance. However, who knows, maybe my viewpoint will change once I get in the water.

I certainly appreciate those that want to take a class and am sure it could be quite helpful, but I'm not sure a class is needed for everything. For example, I learned to dive doubles on my own with friends help. I have a number of buddies who dive sidemount who thankfully are willing to offer advice and assistance. However, who knows, maybe my viewpoint will change once I get in the water.

Having a knowledgeable second pair of hands to adjust gear in the water (at the surface), such as bungee length, makes all the difference. Really helps with the basic setup, then you can tweak as necessary yourself.

I guess I can’t have any kudos...

I guess I can’t have any kudos...

I must have missed you stating something about instruction. TBF, I saw a couple people mention and did not take note of who it was so I just generalized.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom