Liveaboard and social distancing for Covid-19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not necessarily. I can only speak for my own recent liveaboard experience. Raja Ampat Jan 2020 Trip Report

One of my buddies came to Sorong, Indonesia, a few days earlier before boarding the boat and caught some kind of flu in the city when he was wondering in the market, looking for souvenirs. He had to miss some dives. I sat next to him during one of the dinner time and got it too. However my case wasn't so bad and only 3 other people out of 34-36 people on the boat got it. I think, as long as you contain the sick one and keep social distancing on the boat and wearing mask if social distancing is not possible, we should be able to minimize the spread while in the boat.
Actual testing to see if everyone got sick, or only 3 people with symptoms? They still don't know how many people get infected without knowing it.

Anymore recent experiences with current liveaboard situations?

Have one on the Rocio del Mar that has been paid for already, but as far as I can tell they're going full capacity and have no clue what the situation looks like on the deck these days.

If Guadalupe, Mexico is open for LOB, I'm going to be on Nautilus Belle Amie in end of July (21-26). Then I'll post my experience here.

My above trip has been rescheduled November 2021.

Actual testing to see if everyone got sick, or only 3 people with symptoms? They still don't know how many people get infected without knowing it.

I think that was pre-COVID-19 flu / cold while on the boat. No testing was done obviously. They just took some Sudafed, staying in bed, and skipping dives to recover.

I got the following guidelines to minimize the potential virus spreading in the LOB:
Nautilus COVID-19 safe travel practices
The following practices are based on the International Maritime Organization (IMO) requirements for joining a ship. Compliance is mandatory on Nautilus ISM safety management system certified ships. Please call or email our operations desk with any questions, comments or concerns...
General Measures
• Comply with standard infection protection and control precautions related to hygiene:
• e.g. hand-washing using the 20-second hand-washing rule with hot water and soap
• Use of hand-sanitizer
• Avoid touching your face, particularly eyes, nose, mouth with your hands to prevent from getting infected
• Cough/sneeze into the bend of your elbow
• If you use a tissue, discard of it properly and wash/sanitize your hands immediately etc.
• Avoid close contact with anyone who is or appears unwell or shows COVID-19 symptoms (e.g. cough, fever, etc.).
• Maintain a WHO recommended social distance of at least 1 metre (3 feet) between yourself and others.
• Wear a mask in all public areas
• Avoid shaking hands, do not share food, drink, utensils etc.
Preboarding Guidelines: before you leave your place of residence
• Be sure to monitor your health before leaving to travel to join us on the ship.
• Check your temperature twice daily and keep records for 7 days before travel and inform us if you show any symptoms.
• Inform us if you have tested positive for COVID-19 or show any symptoms before leaving to travel to join the ship.
• Make arrangements to bring the necessary personal protective equipment (PPE) sufficient to cover the period of travel
to the ship.
Practices while at the airport/ on the aircraft:
• Arrange transportation to/from the airport that minimizes contact with other persons, such as trusted private provider. Avoid using public transportation.
• Wear PPE as instructed for the duration of travel as far as practicable (e.g. mask and gloves, etc.)
• Carry and handle your own luggage to the extent possible.
• Keep all relevant documents required for travel, in a bag or compartment that can be easily accessed to be
disinfected later.
• Maintain social distancing onboard the flight when possible, and sit with appropriate seat spacing, as arranged by
the airline or cabin crew on board the aircraft.
• Limit exposure to aircraft crew during in-flight service and other passengers when using the facilities when
possible.
Local hotel stay:
• Pay special attention to social distancing, hygiene and PPE requirements at the hotel.
• Maintain temperature checks twice daily and keeping a record.
• Continue to handle your own luggage at the hotel.
• Consider declining daily room cleaning service.

Nautilus COVID-19 safe travel practices
Prior to boarding one of our ships

• Properly dispose of any single-use PPE used during travel (only that which cannot be washed/disinfected).
• We will provide complimentary health checks before boarding (e.g. having your temperature taken at the time of embarkation, reviewing mandatory temperature records, being tested for COVID-19 if suitable test kits are
available etc.)
• Please wear a mask in all public spaces.
• We will arrange for disinfection of your luggage and dive gear at our hospitality suite.
Onboard our ships
• Practice shipboard self-distancing (SSD), as far as possible, that might include:
• Avoiding all non-essential contact or close proximity with others on board
• All spaces on the ships including your stateroom will have been disinfected with vital oxide application by
fogging machines. Minimum 1 week hold time.
• Staggered meal service, dive and safety briefings, dive times.
• Please wear a mask in all public spaces including dive skiffs.
• We will issue sanitized individual second stage regulators on all white shark trips.
• Option to decline or limit daily room cleaning service.
• Crew assistance with buffet meal service and drinks.
• Use the designated space for your equipment
Disembarkation:
• Wearing appropriate PPE and disposal of single-use PPE worn onboard prior to disembarkation.”

Nautilus adds a COVID test requirement, in their Nov 16, 2020 bulletin,

"Please ensure that you arrange for a COVID test with results no more than 4 days before boarding. Please bring your printed results, and your temperature log with you for pre-boarding check in."
No mention of what type of test.

Four days? Is this time-frame doable?

Attachments

• 2020-11-16-COVID19-Notice.pdf
    89 KB · Views: 101
  • 2020-11-17-Mandatory-Safe-Travel-Recommendations-and-Requirements.pdf
    92.3 KB · Views: 119
Reactions: Dan
Nautilus adds a COVID test requirement, in their Nov 16, 2020 bulletin,

"Please ensure that you arrange for a COVID test with results no more than 4 days before boarding. Please bring your printed results, and your temperature log with you for pre-boarding check in."
No mention of what type of test.

Four days? Is this time-frame doable?

From where I’m, in Houston area, it is doable. It took me 2.5 days from Drive-Thru swab test sample dropped off on Wednesday noon to Friday night, a couple days ago. It costed me $128.30 via Questdirect

Cocos Marine Park requires within 7 days before boarding the boat. The sticky part for Costa Rica is its Health Pass requirements, Pase de Salud Costa Rica that requires me to have $50,000 for COVID-19 medical expenses and $2000 for 14-day quarantine in case I get infected there. That kind of coverage requires me to get the Elite DiveAssure travel insurance, which is the highest level of Benefits that DiveAssure offers. Just for that trip to Cocos, it cost me $313 for travel insurance.

73DF74C3-06F6-4D5F-AFDB-3F83A49911B6.jpeg

Anymore recent experiences with current liveaboard situations?

Have one on the Rocio del Mar that has been paid for already, but as far as I can tell they're going full capacity and have no clue what the situation looks like on the deck these days.
I just returned from Socorro on the Nautilus Explorer with nearly a full boat of divers and they did not adhere to their own policies. There was no social distancing and little to no mask wearing in the indoor spaces. I will post a trip report soon.

I just returned from an Explorer Venturers trip to Turks and Caicos. Felt incredibly safe. Everyone getting to the boat is tested negative within 5 days of arrival - otherwise they wouldn't get into the country. The staff were excellent - luggage and shoes were fogged/disinfected before getting onboard, hand washing and sanitizing were enforced - sanitizer stations everywhere and masks were worn inside (e.g. when getting food). Social distancing was performed to the extent possible on a boat - most everything happens outside anyway. Staff kept a daily temperature and oxygen saturation log for everyone on the boat (I think this both a company policy and a legal requirement in some Carribean Dive Destinations now). You could choose if you wanted staff to make up you room each day or keep them out. Our charter was not full, but even if it was it is a big boat. You are essentially in a self contained bubble all week. On the island itself (airport, taxi transfers etc) hand sanitizing and mask wearing were exceptional. I am looking at another LOB soon based on this great travel experience.

I personally felt very comfortable that the risk was minimal - it can never be zero, of course, but that is true for everything in life.

And last but not least: the diving was absolutely spectacular with tons of sharks on every dive and this trip has benefited my mental health immeasurably in this insane year of 2020.

I just returned from an Explorer Venturers trip to Turks and Caicos. Felt incredibly safe. Everyone getting to the boat is tested negative within 5 days of arrival - otherwise they wouldn't get into the country. The staff were excellent - luggage and shoes were fogged/disinfected before getting onboard, hand washing and sanitizing were enforced - sanitizer stations everywhere and masks were worn inside (e.g. when getting food). Social distancing was performed to the extent possible on a boat - most everything happens outside anyway. Staff kept a daily temperature and oxygen saturation log for everyone on the boat (I think this both a company policy and a legal requirement in some Carribean Dive Destinations now). You could choose if you wanted staff to make up you room each day or keep them out. Our charter was not full, but even if it was it is a big boat. You are essentially in a self contained bubble all week. On the island itself (airport, taxi transfers etc) hand sanitizing and mask wearing were exceptional. I am looking at another LOB soon based on this great travel experience.

I personally felt very comfortable that the risk was minimal - it can never be zero, of course, but that is true for everything in life.

And last but not least: the diving was absolutely spectacular with tons of sharks on every dive and this trip has benefited my mental health immeasurably in this insane year of 2020.

I have same experience in Cocos, Costa Rica. Just came back home yesterday. I plan to do 14-day self quarantine at home.

Back
Top Bottom