REEF SEEKERS DIVE CO. - DECEMBER NEWSLETTER

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
COVID restrictions, 2021 travel, Zoom, & more

Attached you'll find the December, 2020, issue of the Reef Seekers newsletter, which should download as a 303KB PDF file of four pages. Just click on it to open it or download it.

You can also access the newsletter through our website simply by using this link:
http://www.reefseekers.com/newsletter.html. Read it on-line or print out a copy for yourself. In either case, you'll need a copy of Acrobat Reader, which comes pre-loaded on most computers. However if you don't have it, or don't have the latest version, you can obtain a free copy by going to this site: (http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html) and following the on-screen prompts.

If you have any comments, thoughts, concerns, etc., about anything you read, please don't hesitate to e-mail me. Thanks for diving with Reef Seekers.

- Ken (for all the gang here at Reef Seekers Dive Co.)

Attachments

• 1220NL.pdf
    303 KB · Views: 123
Are the squid at Vets now? I see you have a squid night dive planned for next week

Speaking of squid, do they appear at all the near shore submarine canyons this time of year? I know they show up at Vets and La Jolla, but was wondering if they also show up at Dume

Are the squid at Vets now? I see you have a squid night dive planned for next week
Speaking of squid, do they appear at all the near shore submarine canyons this time of year? I know they show up at Vets and La Jolla, but was wondering if they also show up at Dume
I don't know of anyone who have seen any yet at Vets. This is generally the time of the beginning of the season, running until mid-to-end of March.

I've never heard of them showing up at Dume but that's perhaps as likely a result of no one diving there to look for them as well as whether they show up there or not. My impression of the bottom at Dume is that it's not really squid-friendly. Nothing specific, just a gut feeling. And even at vets, it's hit-and-miss year-to-year. Plus we had one time in 2013 when they showed up en masse in August.

I don't know of anyone who have seen any yet at Vets. This is generally the time of the beginning of the season, running until mid-to-end of March.

I've never heard of them showing up at Dume but that's perhaps as likely a result of no one diving there to look for them as well as whether they show up there or not. My impression of the bottom at Dume is that it's not really squid-friendly. Nothing specific, just a gut feeling. And even at vets, it's hit-and-miss year-to-year. Plus we had one time in 2013 when they showed up en masse in August.
Thanks Ken! We're getting to the time of year when lots of squid boats are lined up every night lighting up the water from the west edge of the Point Dume MPA and continuing west. But I've never seen or heard any mention of spawning squid carpeting Dume canyon off of Westward Beach. But most divers off Westward Beach typically head to the pinnacles. Maybe this year we'll do some exploratory night dives to the edge of the canyon and exploring (current permitting)

Back
Top Bottom