Vehicle question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On a push button start vehicle, they are REALLY sensitive to location. I was able to leave my key in the bed of a tacoma and lock the doors. You can also put the keys to sleep, then lock them inside with a valet key.

A magnetic hidakey seems to be the easiest method.

I'm contemplating getting into a new truck or SUV. I haven't bought a new vehicle in a long time and something about the new keys has me concerned.

What do you do with the key when you go in the water? Most places I dive are relatively safe, but there have been a few places I don't think I want to leave the key in an accessible location, and given the whole pushbutton start thing I'm at a loss for what to do with the keys so that I don't drown the keys accidentally and I come back to my vehicle being there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've had to deal with this recently. For 20 years I was driving a 1998 Civic with a simple old-style key. It went in my BCD pocket when I was diving, never had an issue.

A couple years ago I bought a 2018 Civic. It's very fancy. Push button start and no key for anything... just the electronic fob that the car senses is nearby. It can't go in the water, and I can't even leave it in the car: the car knows that if the fob is in the interior and will not allow the doors to lock if it is.

I tried hiding it under the back bumper, but when I do it's close enough to the trunk to allow anyone to open it. Solution?

I hide it in the grille of the front bumper. It blends in well (everything's black) and it's just far enough from the doors that they won't unlock automatically.

I'm going to try playing around with other options, including using a small metal box (to diminish the radio signal from the fob) to hide it in somewhere under the car.

Every modern car still has a lock cylinder. How else do you get in the car when the battery goes dead. If you bought it new the dealer should have explained this to you.
Foil RF blocking bags will keep the car from knowing there is a key inside.

I've had to deal with this recently. For 20 years I was driving a 1998 Civic with a simple old-style key. It went in my BCD pocket when I was diving, never had an issue.

A couple years ago I bought a 2018 Civic. It's very fancy. Push button start and no key for anything... just the electronic fob that the car senses is nearby. It can't go in the water, and I can't even leave it in the car: the car knows that if the fob is in the interior and will not allow the doors to lock if it is.

I tried hiding it under the back bumper, but when I do it's close enough to the trunk to allow anyone to open it. Solution?

I hide it in the grille of the front bumper. It blends in well (everything's black) and it's just far enough from the doors that they won't unlock automatically.

I'm going to try playing around with other options, including using a small metal box (to diminish the radio signal from the fob) to hide it in somewhere under the car.
Oh jeez, I hear ya! See my post last page. Our new car has that doodadd too and push button. If you do anything it doesn't like it beeps .. .... .. at you. Thankfully the van I use for diving is oldstyle (2016....). Hey, didn't cars in the 1950s and before have push button starts? I seem to recall one of my deceased uncle's one of those.
Hahahahahah. Ridiculous.

Just a doubt... If the car gets stolen, and the key was left inside, the insurance may not cover. Particularly car rental companies normally require that the original key is returned in case of theft, to prove that the car wasn't left open and vulnerable. It may be safer to get a waterproof container and carry the key on the dive.

My previous car was a ute (two seater sedan truck). I had a lockable tray top. I would take the key for the tray top with me and the regular keys (which can't get wet) would be locked in the tray area. I actually had the tray key on my BCD on a retractable line. I also kept a spare key in my wetsuit or drysuit pocket - which was lucky on the day I lost the key somewhere.

I now have a Tesla. My phone is the key but I also have a (waterproof) RFID keycard. I turn the phone off and leave in the car (which locks automatically - most of the time) and carry the keycard in the shoulder pocket of my undergarment. When I get back to the car I just have to lean my arm on the driver's side door pillar to unlock the car - even through my drysuit.

On one of my first few dives with the new car I forgot the keycard (left it in the car with my phone). Fortunately, I was able to use my buddy's phone to call my wife and get her to remotely unlock the car.

My previous car was a ute (two seater sedan truck). I had a lockable tray top. I would take the key for the tray top with me and the regular keys (which can't get wet) would be locked in the tray area. I actually had the tray key on my BCD on a retractable line. I also kept a spare key in my wetsuit or drysuit pocket - which was lucky on the day I lost the key somewhere.

I now have a Tesla. My phone is the key but I also have a (waterproof) RFID keycard. I turn the phone off and leave in the car (which locks automatically - most of the time) and carry the keycard in the shoulder pocket of my undergarment. When I get back to the car I just have to lean my arm on the driver's side door pillar to unlock the car - even through my drysuit.

On one of my first few dives with the new car I forgot the keycard (left it in the car with my phone). Fortunately, I was able to use my buddy's phone to call my wife and get her to remotely unlock the car.
Sorry, I again just have to laugh. What a process. See my post above......

It's been mentioned several times but the keypad on my F-150 is constantly coming in handy in situations like this, not just when diving.

I have a Hitchsafe and I love it. I lock my keys when I go diving, or running, or to the gym and don’t want to use the lockers. It’s one of the most convenient things ever.

That and the air suspension that lets me lower my truck to the perfect height to put on my bc and other gear. I love my truck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom