inexpensive options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone stayed at an Air B&B in Bonaire before? My husband and I are going to spend a week at Buddy's in January with a large group. Then after everyone else leaves, we will stay for 4 more days of shore diving. Am interested in getting an Air B&B or cheap hotel for those days. We don't care about anything fancy, but also don't want to share a room with strangers like in hostel. Having a way to cook in house would be a plus. Being near the shore is a plus, but not a priority. I had previously tried to search a thread that someone had pointed me toward using a search for "Drrich2s", but all I could get was an error message. We don't know what dive shop we would be using for air fills either, interested in any suggests people may have for that as well.

Buddy's sister property Caribbean Club is up at Oil Slick. It might be a little less expensive, a change of scenery, and the transition would probably be easy. You should be able to keep the same truck and they have a nice little dive shop right there.

We spent 2 weeks at Divers Paradise* in Aug/Sept 2019. It worked for us. Owner/Operator is John Schwind, info@diversparadisebonaire.com

Off the water, about 75 yds, obstructed/no view of water. 1 bedroom, gear room, rinse tank, kitchen, screened porch.

John is a great guy. I found it budget-friendly.

I'd do it again.

* No interest, except good folks and we enjoyed our stay.

Overview -
My Research Notes for Bonaire - My Research Note For Bonaire Afterward it has a link to my Sand Dollar Condo. stay diving via Dive Friends for shore diving.

I have not stayed at an AirBnB before, but I have gone the budget route -
Bonaire at Dive Hut 2012 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bonaire/432576-solo-diver-dive-hut.html

If you stay at a true 'hotel' rather than a dive resort as part of a package deal, you can pay for a shore diving package with a number of different results. Dive Friends is well known for a number of locations, but Buddy Dive Resort has more than one location, too, and you'll already have an established relationship with them.

Presumably you'll need to rent a different vehicle after you leave Buddy Dive Resort; factor that into your cost calculations.

Richard.

Has anyone stayed at an Air B&B in Bonaire before? My husband and I are going to spend a week at Buddy's in January with a large group. Then after everyone else leaves, we will stay for 4 more days of shore diving. Am interested in getting an Air B&B or cheap hotel for those days. We don't care about anything fancy, but also don't want to share a room with strangers like in hostel. Having a way to cook in house would be a plus. Being near the shore is a plus, but not a priority. I had previously tried to search a thread that someone had pointed me toward using a search for "Drrich2s", but all I could get was an error message. We don't know what dive shop we would be using for air fills either, interested in any suggests people may have for that as well.

Why don’t you ask Buddy's? Business may be slow this year and they might offer you a good deal to stay on for the extra days - that way you wouldn't have to move and you can keep the same car.

I stayed at the Bonaire bnb in 2017. It is near the yacht club down the road for buddy’s. It is sort of like living in a camper, but you are in a building. It had its own entrance and was sealed from any of the other units.

The stove was fed by a 20 lb propane tank. There was a dorm refrigerator. The Shower hot water was provided by an anemic immersion heater. Just enough to not be cold. The sinks were cold only. The bed had a big net around it just like in the Expedia commercials.

it was ok for me, but I had to go to sand dollar the following week when my wife joined me.

the price was right about $500 for the week.

Boutique Hotel Bonaire & Marina - Voel je Thuis - Ocean Breeze
We stayed there for a couple nights-very inexpensive and nice. They have hotel room and bigger units with kitchens. We had a late flight out and after check out, they let us stay by the pool, use showers, stored our luggage until flight (it is very close to the airport). Sometimes the travel sites (Travelocity, Priceline etc) have better prices than their website.

I love Airbnb! I have used them for years. Your options will be the dirt cheap option of renting a room with shared bathroom, to a luxury home. We used Airbnb and booked a unit at Bonaire Seaside Apartments. The unit was comfortable, safe and next to Dive Friends Yellow Submarine Dive shop. I like @KathyV 's idea of checking with Buddy's. I think business will be slow due to the uncertainty of securing flights to Bonaire for a while.

ps, I love your avatar. Batfish are my favorites!

Why don’t you ask Buddy's? Business may be slow this year and they might offer you a good deal to stay on for the extra days - that way you wouldn't have to move and you can keep the same car.
I did. $200 per day per person.

Back
Top Bottom