what kind of diver are you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a local diver, with one trip to Honduras. Mainly dive Bay of Fundy or fresh water in New Brunswick, Canada. Had plans to dive Lake Huron and Florida this year but Covid messed that up. Dives in Lake Huron are rescheduled for 2021 and the rest are up in the air. I usually dive a few times a month from April-November but as a shore diver once the snow hits access can be sketchy. I would like some more dive trips with better than 6-8 foot vis lol.

I am the kind of diver that loves being underwater so much I decided to do it for a living. I was born in Key West and raised in the lower keys. I learned to SCUBA when I was 11, and started helping my father who was a tropical fish collector. Growing up I was the kid that was out on the boat fishing or diving as many days as possible, my senior year of highschool I missed 50 some odd days because the weather was nice and the water was clear! After HS I went to hardhat school and spent a few years diving in the oilfield in the upper Gulf of Mexico. After a few years in that profession I came back to the Florida Keys raise my kids. I eventually inherited my father's tropical fishing licence and started aquaculturing corals and marine plants. Recently I was given the opportunity to get my PADI Dive instructor certification and I am in the process of completing that.
I DO NOT LIKE WORKING ON LAND!
you're like the person from hawaii, the lucky kind of diver :wink:

I'm a mix of varieties.

Work. I work part-time as a DM on charter boats. I'm signed up to go to IDC in January. I have more than enough documented sea time from when I was "young and at sea, on the sea that gives nothing, except hard knocks and sometimes a chance to feel your strength" to sit for a 100-ton masters near coastal license as soon as I accumulate a few more days to meet the recency requirement. I hope to piece together a bit of a retirement career out of some combination of DM, instructor, and boat driving.

Play (local). I'm pretty new to spearfishing and trying to learn more about that. It seems the common denominator among most of the real good spear fishermen I know is that they grew up hunting, which I did not. So learning enough about fish behavior to hunt successfully could be a slow process.

Play (non-local). When I go on vacations, I try to go places I can see pretty fish in blue water as a garden-variety tourist recreational dive customer.

Continued learning. I'm starting to admit that I'm a little bit "tech curious." I dive in caverns enough to a) realize that it's easy to get lazy about precise buoyancy control when you mostly dive open water, and b) notice that tech divers have some impressive skills I want to emulate. So I may take some intro to deco sort of courses after I finish the training mentioned above.

I dive the cold/dark waters of the Great Lakes (some of the best wreck diving in the world), quarries, rivers and Atlantic ocean. I own all my own equipment including tanks. We (non diving wife) go down south once (sometimes twice a year) to dive the cenotes, Caribbean sea, and south Atlantic ocean.

New diver who's become somewhat obsessed with it. I own all my own gear except cylinders. Have done the majority of my diving in cold water on the west coast of the US. I try to get a few dives in per month (minimum) and hope to do significantly more than that as the world begins to emerge from COVID restrictions.

The appeal to me is the sense of adventure, and the ability to see incredible things. Naturally I have a curiosity and eagerness to continue my training to pursue more challenging dives in the future - deeper dives, caves, wrecks, etc - although not all my bucket lists dives are especially challenging (Kona manta ray dive, for instance).

I could care less about nudibranchs.

I am a Caribbean diver. A mid-Atlantic diver. A Florida diver. A Springs and Cenote diver. And as last resort a quarry diver.

I drive and fly to dive.

i am an amateur uw photographer. A hunter. A solo diver that also buddy dives.

I am a wetsuit diver. A drysuit diver.

I have dove single tank and sidemount doubles.

I dive on days off, weekends and vacations.

So what kind of diver am I?

Sad. Because next diving window not until summer 2021, probably.

I was certified in 1980 and spent most of my married life free diving. Once I got rid of the wife, I became much more dive oriented (starting about 9 years ago). I have my own gear including tanks and dry and wet suits. The majority of my diving is NE US Shore diving. I reserve my Sundays for diving and had about 30 this year. Covid took a poop on the first half of the season, but there is always next year. I would like to retire somewhere warm with low cost of living and year round diving....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom