Dive Computer Alarms: should we even have them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rather than dumping on the OP for asking about a feature that they want, it might be more productive to try to help them find a DC with those features. After all, as @The Chairman once said: "Dive and let Dive".

Nobody is "dumping" on the OP. We are having a good faith discussion about the merits of DC alarms. I don't think that's off topic at all. People are genuinely trying to improve diver safety. You may think that we are wrong about the implications of alarms, but then at least address those concerns, rather than just saying that it's inappropriate to raise them.

Nobody is "dumping" on the OP. We are having a good faith discussion about the merits of DC alarms. I don't think that's off topic at all. People are genuinely trying to improve diver safety. You may think that we are wrong about the implications of alarms, but then at least address those concerns, rather than just saying that it's inappropriate to raise them.

Well, the original post was about dive computers with vibrating alarms. I was hoping for input on the different computers available and perhaps people bringing to my attention different options. Some people did do exactly that, thanks for your input. :cheers:

It seems clear that changing the discussion to the merits of DC alarms is certainly going off topic.

It's kinda crazy how some people started jumping to the conclusions they did.

I have to laugh. Why is OK to belittle someone looking for a solution to hearing loss, and yet many think it is OK to have to use gauge readers?

Yeah, yeah. Dive and let dive. There are no right answers.

Nothing but love and happiness to all!

Seems like what your computer outputs is a spectrum of outputs...there are the static displays, flashing displays, flashing colors, beeps, vibrations.

I get it that beeps are annoying to other divers, or so I'm told since I can't her them. In fact the only way I know my computer is beeping is if I look around and everybody is looking at me. That's the problem with beeps; they propagate through the water column. Maybe vibrations are better than beeps?

I get it that someone in a drysuit is not going to feel the vibrations. So they learn to look at their computer perhaps more often. Most, myself included, do not look at our computer very often if the interest is gas pressure. Unless something goes wrong, after thousands of dives in varying conditions I have a pretty good idea of how fast my gas gets used up, so checking the pressure is very much about seeing if everything is OK. Same with depth; unless I'm awfully close to my MOD it only gets looked at if I'm varying depth a lot. Someone posted about being on a boat with a max depth of 100 ft; yes, you stay away fromn that but all the input you can get on your depth is good....and if you have to keep staring at your computer while at 95 ft then why are you diving...isn't the idea usually to look around and see stuff?

So, your computer has this spectrum of outputs; why draw the line arbitrarily at flashing colors are OK but personal vibrations are not?

Nothing but love and happiness to all!

Preach it!

But seriously, I can't speak for everyone here, but my objections to DC alarms are made in good faith, and intended to improve diver safety. I may be wrong, but I'm trying to help.

I know that you think that I'm lecturing, and maybe I am, but that's why I really like ScubaBoard. It's the conversations, and the collective experience of some amazing divers. You never know when you are going to learn something new. I do all the time..

Dive and let dive. There are no right answers.
Clearly wrong. there are right answers (know your depth, time, and gas pressure), optional answers (how long is your SPG hose), and bad answers (ascend as fast as you want). Dive and Let Dive ignores that nuance.

Back
Top Bottom