Dive Computer Alarms: should we even have them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know a number of new divers who’ve bought a Perdix. No audible or vibrating alarms, so nothing to shut off. They’re still alive and diving. They bought the computers for the large, colorful display and AI.

One strike against the alarms is do you know what it’s going off for? Do you even know if it’s your computer? I’ve been diving with multiple people whose computers were beeping all at once and after the dive they said they didn’t know if it was their computer or someone else’s.
I would think that with a vibration alarm like that OP asked about, you would know if it was yours.

I also gave an example in which a LOB had a hard deck of 100 feet. Your ears might not tell you if you are at 90 feet and drop gradually to 101 feet, but on that trip, one means you keep diving and the other means that you sit out for 24 hours. A Max depth alarm set at 95ft would alert you and keep you on the right side of that hard deck.

Or, you could just watch your depth. But I see your point.

Or, you could just watch your depth. But I see your point.
Most people were watching the Mantas.

Since we're into a completely new subject now I've a question for the divers who consider themselves to be infallible.

Would you suggest to a new diver they turn off their alarms? If so, what is the justification for that?

If you make a mistake and don't die you'll learn from it?

Can you point to anyone who claimed to be infallible? I know that I'm subject to failure, so that's why I do what I can to minimize risk.

I would suggest to a new diver that they be very careful in monitoring their depth, time, NDLs and gas reserves. I would tell them to spend a lot of time doing that in the beginning. Over time, this will be come more instinctual and the may have to watch these numbers less, but a big part of becoming a more experienced diver is paying a lot of attention to that stuff in the beginning. And if you do that, you don't need an alarm.

As far as suggesting to a new diver that they turn off their alarms, I think that you have it backwards. The vast majority of people who have trained as divers over the years haven't had DC alarms. Your question suggests that alarms are a standard part of training and gear for new divers, and that opting out is an active choice. I don't think that is the case.

And people here actually took the time to try to explain something that might help improve diver safety.
MOD EDIT: Comments related to the thread prior to the split have been deleted.

And you don't see a problem with that?
I never said that I don't see a problem with it. My intention was that it never hurts to have a Plan B or a back-up.

I PM'd you.
Please make this public. Policies like this shouldn't be hidden.

Who knows, some folks may actually prefer this policy? And then that boat will get the divers it wants (and its competitors will get everyone else).

Who would have ever thought it would be a good idea to watch your computer and pressure gauge?

It is certainly my good fortune to stumble onto people who are happy to share this knowledge. :)

Please make this public. Policies like this shouldn't be hidden.

Who knows, some folks may actually prefer this policy? And then that boat will get the divers it wants (and its competitors will get everyone else).
I would prefer not to make it public because this trip was several years ago and I don't know if the policy is still in effect and I don't want to possibly misrepresent the current policies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom