Post-Conception Disaster: what you learned & will change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why cant the boats ban all battery charging after evening meal-say 6pm (before people retire to their cabins) and force people to bring a second batch of batteries to charge up during the day and/or a fire proof charging station.

As a single traveler, I pay a ridiculous single penalty for my own room.

Just mentioning this for the benefit of newer dives who haven't done live-aboards - they often charge no single supplement if you are willing to have a same sex roommate. If you want your own room, yes, it can cost a lot.

why cant the boats ban all battery charging after evening meal-say 6pm (before people retire to their cabins) and force people to bring a second batch of batteries to charge up during the day and/or a fire proof charging station.

An operator could, but there are some con.s for other reasons. First off, given the number of dives, and lateness, on some live-aboard trips, some things won't get recharged and thus won't be ready to go in the morning. People who meant to charge <insert gadget> will forget before the evening dive. Etc...

Second, it won't force people to bring extra batteries. Some will, some won't.

Third, on a lot of days, there'll be items on chargers and crew won't know who owns what. They can unplug things...another hassle, another potential cause of ill will with the paying customers.

None of which means it can't be done, but there are reasons it might not be. I like the fire-proof charging station; wonder how practical it is, and how expensive to do?

Considering the price of many liveaboards and the charging time of some batteries, I think expecting a fire proof charging station on all but economy barebones liveaboards would be reasonable.

Just mentioning this for the benefit of newer dives who haven't done live-aboards - they often charge no single supplement if you are willing to have a same sex roommate. If you want your own room, yes, it can cost a lot.

An operator could, but there are some con.s for other reasons. First off, given the number of dives, and lateness, on some live-aboard trips, some things won't get recharged and thus won't be ready to go in the morning. People who meant to charge <insert gadget> will forget before the evening dive. Etc...

Third, on a lot of days, there'll be items on chargers and crew won't know who owns what. They can unplug things...another hassle, another potential cause of ill will with the paying customers.

None of which means it can't be done, but there are reasons it might not be. I like the fire-proof charging station; wonder how practical it is, and how expensive to do?
I think it's just a matter of changing an entitlement culture -photographers will just have to get their Sh* t together or they miss out -i dont see why crew need to get involved -i.e. heres the charging station -its your responsibility and if you dont get organised you miss out. They can still dive they'll just have to leave their lights behind for the next dive or until their batteries are ready

its not the total answer but a lot of small and relatively inexpensive changes add up to a safer system

charging stations should be above deck regardless, with smoke alarms fitted - a closed box may get too hot, it could just be an alcove or some sort of fold down cabinet that can be stored away when not in use

Reactions: Ana
I think it's just a matter of changing an entitlement culture -photographers will just have to get their Sh* t together or they miss out...

And what you describe might happen. One can make a case for that. On the other hand, if those photographers find out they won't 'miss out' that way if they book your competitor, well...

One issue (that may not even be one) comes to mind. I've heard of lithium batteries creating problems, either because of actual hazard (e.g.: what if one starts a fire on a plane in flight) or regulatory (e.g.: how many threads are there about how and where to carry your spare batteries flying into Mexico? Is there ever a definitive, permanent answer to those?). Either way, people suddenly carrying double the lithium batteries around might pose its own issues. I'm speculating on this one! Maybe it's not a problem at all.

Oh, and one thing that's not quite as speculative. On these threads I've seen claims some lithium batteries are cheaply made and in theory may be more hazardous in use. People forced to bring more spares are going to bring more of these cheapies in the mix.

One of the most illuminating concepts I was ever introduced to was 'The Law of Unintended Consequences.'

One of the most illuminating concepts I was ever introduced to was 'The Law of Unintended Consequences.'
You mean like since most liveaboards with private rooms have an outlet in the room for shavers, hair dryers, TVs, etc., so when you ban charging in the controlled area they take their charger back to their room?

Any policy needs to be thought out and workable, and above all provide a safe and convenient solution or people will find other ways.

Voting occurs Tuesday December 8. It’s likely to get passed, but it has been threatened to get vetoed.

The families request that those who support the Small Passenger Vessel Safety Act which is included in the NDAA to please call your local representatives and let them know a fellow diver would like updated safety measures. It currently has short on both sides of the aisle, but every voice helps. Staffers love to hear from their constituents and can answer any questions you may have. The more input received across the country, the better.

State leaders announce Conception Boat Safety Bill included in Defense Bill

I think it's just a matter of changing an entitlement culture...

I'm on vacation, I'm paying often $5k plus (per person) to dive on a liveboard and it is part of the crew's job to make it easy for me to enjoy my vacation. If the owner of the boat doesn't want to ensure that, then I will spend my money elsewhere.

Maybe the whole charging station can be on a timer, off at a set time. Or on a breaker turned off by crew?

Having just returned from a trip to Socorro on the Nautilus Explorer, I have re-evaluated my choice of cabin for the next trip. My room was below deck and the escape hatch was just outside my door. The stairwell down the hall was an open exit to the dive deck. There is no door to go through. I don't know how much strength is required to lift the hatch or if you press a button and it opens automatically. We were told there was a 24-hr roving watchman/woman, but unless I roamed the ship during the night, I wouldn't know to what extent roving would be. I will pay the extra fee to have a room on the upper deck for a better chance of survival should I need to make a quick exit. In the grand scheme of risk/benefit analysis, I'm probably more likely to have an in-water or onboard injury or accident than having to bail from the ship, so this is not a big concern for me.

I am now making it a conscious practice to not leave my devices charging in my cabin when I'm not there and completely unplug my surge protection plug extender when I'm sleeping. I always travel with a portable flashlight for the bedside, whether I'm in a hotel or on a boat, in case of emergency.

Having said all that, live-aboard diving is not my favorite, but I use it as a means to get to a destination otherwise unreachable by day boat, such as Socorro or Guadalupe. As a single traveler, I pay a ridiculous single penalty for my own room. For the high cost per day to live in cramped quarters, even in my own room, it's not a great option for a vacation experience. On a one to five star rating, my last live-aboard experience was a two out of five stars, but the dive experience on that same live-aboard was five stars. Before I go veer off on another tangent, I'll leave it at that.
I stayed in the single room across the hall from yours when I took the Explorer in May 2019, before the Conception and Aggressor I fires. Revillagigedos on the Nautilus Explorer, May 24-June 1, 2019 | ScubaBoard I actually tried out the emergency exit that was next to our rooms. It was an easy climb up and the hatch was easy to open. The only thing that bothered me was that it exited into the dining room, inside of the salon and galley. I had decided ahead of time that I would use the main exit directly to the dive deck unless it was not available to me. I was impressed with the safety features of the boat and behavior of the crew, even more so after the next September and November.

From reading your review, it appears your experience was significantly affected by the Covid-19 pandemic, I was fortunate to travel prior to this. We entirely agree on the diving experience, 5 star.

Back
Top Bottom