Dive Rite EX35 can light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes 101-160 WHr is technically possible with written airline approval. I have never tried that so I cant comment on how easy it is to do. My gut tells me it would be a pain in the butt to get in hand and you would probably have to do it each time you traveled.

160wh is the limit world wide. Over 100wh is required to be in carry on for most airlines. Only a few airlines require prior written approval. Our air travel guide page explains what needs to be known and has a link to a printable page for UWLD customers to use with TSA or any other country. It is important for UWLD customers to know that if an airline requires prior written approval they still need to get that from the airline even with our sheet printed.

@stuartv in cave water you can definitely grab the light head no problem, but you can feel the heat coming off of it. Any of the big boy lights you'll feel the heat on the lens as well.

No idea about their driver mechanism on which one is right. I didn't have it in the water long enough to find out, was only about 2 hours and you can't see the brightness dropoff during that duration.

When @The Chairman and I were diving in Olsen at Peacock Springs a couple weeks ago I did all of my dives on a Cave Adventurers backup light and he was diving my LX20. They are both more than bright enough with the backup light being comparable to a 10w HID that was the standard for a long time and the LX20 being about 50% brighter. I didn't even have mine on full power the whole time. Do I enjoy my LD35 on high? Absolutely! If I'm on the trigger, in big cave, or just am in the mood for a lot of light, nothing I have dove beats it and I usually have a pair of Cave Adventurers video backup lights on my helmet. These dives didn't require that much light since we were going into some smaller passages, kicking very slowly, and was in familiar cave. Diving with small lights vs big lights changes the whole experience of the cave and it's nice to dive with small lights sometimes. The key with the big boy lights is the ability to kick them down when there is too much particulate in the water and the backscatter gets bad.

Do you still own and dive the EX35? If yes, what has your experience been over the past year? I just ordered one.

Do you still own and dive the EX35? If yes, what has your experience been over the past year? I just ordered one.

I have never had the EX35. The LD35 is made by Underwater Light Dude. I do still own the LX20, however @The Chairman is holding it hostage because I haven't been to cave country often enough so he has a lot more hours on it than I do :-D

I have and use an EX35, HP50 and LX20. They are all great and they all have a purpose. If I were traveling, I'd be tempted to bring the latter two.

EX35 has burn time for days at full power, but it has a cable. The HP50 does nearly as well for high power, but on high it doesn't last as long, not nearly as long, an hour or so vs. 6. I recommend kicking it back between high and medium to use high only when filming, and I've been asking Dive Rite for updated logic, I'd love a way to just toggle between those two without having to cycle off. If I were just diving, not taking video with a go pro in wide caves, the LX20 is hard to beat for the price and light. It's a phenomenal dive light for actually diving, and it will work for video, but it's clearly not as bright as an HP50, which is not quite as bright as an EX35.

If you buy a few sets of batteries, and you are traveling for recreational diving, you can easily use one set during the day to peer under ledges and in wrecks, then switch to your second set for a night dive, rotate again in the morning.

I'm not knock the LD35 or anything from light monkey at all, they are also amazing lights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom