Quick Disconnect / KISS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v101

Contributor
Reaction score
Checking with anyone if they put a quick disconnect such as a OMNI so they can disconnect their oxygen host and first stage from their KISS valve?

see attached pic

if anyone has done this, a pic would help, or what part number you used for this.

Attachments

• IMG_3642.jpg
    IMG_3642.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 102
the O2 side doesn't really matter since it is trickle feed. It can be a BC connector. The key is putting it on the outlet of the MAV instead of the inlet so if you disconnect underwater you don't send anything into the MAV that will block it.
You are looking at a check valve-the below one but with a regulator hose on the other side. They sell it, just not on dgx website.
OmniSwivel Adapter: 3/8-Inch M with Check Valve = BC Inflator QD Post
then the shutoff that @vioch linked to.
Shutoff=very important with a leaky valve, the check valve not so much. If you use a QD-I do, it doesn't really matter which you use and I'm frankly a fan of BC QD's because it just makes everything easier. Put the adapter below on the outlet and a normal BC hose on the head.
DGX Adapter: 3/8-Inch F = BC Inflator QD Post.
This does NOT give you the ability to plug offboard gasses into your O2 feed though, but at the same time with the leaky valves being so clog prone I'm not sure it really matters to have it. I just use it to be able to disconnect the head from the O2 regulator easily

For what purpose? Travel? Tbh if you’re not running out of oxygen or diving it at the edge of sorb limits, it’s probably safer to keep it as a continuous piece. I actually don’t know that I’d separate them unless I was using a needle valve.

That said, you could put a disconnect there, especially if it’s just to make it easier to travel with. Use one w a check valve and don’t disconnect it in salt water or water w any particulate in it. Too much risk of clogging the orfice. Know that it adds risk.

There’s arguments for having different types of connects on O2 vs diluent. My O2 is a BC quick disconnect into a needle valve. Diluent side is a QC6.

YMMV, personal experience, not a kiss instructor, etc etc etc.

That's an in line shut off valve. It is normally placed on the ADV and on the bailout second stage. It doesn't work as a quick disconnect, but it does interrupt the gas flow when closed.

Thanks for the fast responses!
Yes its for travel purposes and storage in between dive. I have a omni-swival QD that i removed from my DIL side, w/ a check valve. I could put it before the shut off valve, and try that. the BC quick disconnect isn't something I thought of for this, I can try that out also if the other QD I have doesn't work.

Limit volume of intrusion if he puts it upstream of the orfice. For his use I’d put it downstream as you suggested.

Limit volume of intrusion if he puts it upstream of the orfice. For his use I’d put it downstream as you suggested.

eh, I have the QD's downstream of the valve and there is a shutoff on the disconnect so as long as there is pressure from the regulator I can't see any benefit of the check valve.

eh, I have the QD's downstream of the valve and there is a shutoff on the disconnect so as long as there is pressure from the regulator I can't see any benefit of the check valve.
Fair contention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom