Drysuit Dryer - w/Pics (Any comments from DUI?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not a dry suit diver, but that is way cool RJP!

Here's my version of a home-made Drysuit Dryer. (I made it three years ago, but just decided to snap some pictures today.) Total cost: about $20 for PVC pipe, a DC fan, and a 12v adapter...

DSD-3.jpg

What sizes of PVC did you end up using.....?

2.5" and 4" is what it is. Probably didn't need to be 4" on the bottom, nor did the front of the base need to be as long. I over-estimated how heavy a suit on it would be. (Though I've got a TLS-350, a soaking wet CF-200 or similar might be a different story.)

PS - if you saw how I wired the adapter into the fan you'd imagine I'd fail electrical inspection as well!

Nvrmnd.... Paged down.... :)

ta-da....

2.5" and 4" is what it is. Probably didn't need to be 4" on the bottom, nor did the front of the base need to be as long. I over-estimated how heavy a suit on it would be. (Though I've got a TLS-350, a soaking wet CF-200 or similar might be a different story.)

PS - if you saw how I wired the adapter into the fan you'd imagine I'd fail electrical inspection as well!

EDIT: looks like you found it about the same time I posted.

Built it! Love it!. Used shorter legs on the base (1 foot each) but stuck with 4 inch pvc base since I had a 4 inch brushless fan. Used 2 inch pvc for the upper section. Cut the uprights to length to keep the Santi's wrist seal off the floor. The inside of suit dries out over night. Not to mention convenient to be able to store your suit the next day, but healthier. This keep things from growing and stinking up your suit. Used it last night after a couple of dive's off the Gypsy Blood. Hosed the outside of the drysuit down really well and hung it up.

Thanks RJP

The issue of how to dry a drysuit comes up often, and there are various approaches that are recommended. Everything from hanging, turning inside out, commercially made hangers (some with fans) to electric boot dryers rigged to take on a full drysuit.

Other folks prefer to take on the challenge themselves with a Home Depot credit card, a box saw, and a half-hour of spare time!

Here's my version of a home-made Drysuit Dryer. (I made it three years ago, but just decided to snap some pictures today.) Total cost: about $20 for PVC pipe, a DC fan, and a 12v adapter...

DSD-3.jpg

Everything is glued except for the two long "leg" pieces, which simply pop in/out of place. This makes putting the suit on the dryer quite easy as you can simply slide these two pieces into the suit and then mount the suit onto the rest of the dryer.

The fan is a DC brushless* "high flow" type from Radio Shack, coupled to a 12v DC adapter, attached to the "open" end of one of the feet of the dryer:

DSD-1.jpg

The fan is set to blow IN to the dryer. With the entire unit sealed, the only way for the air to move is up into the feet and out through the holes drilled into the ends of the leg pieces:

DSD-2.jpg

The air then travels down the legs, torso, and out through the open zipper carrying moisture out of the suit.

The fan is nearly silent, but moves a surprising amount of air. I set it up "blowing in" instead of "sucking out" to avoid pulling moist air through the fan. The front parts of the base are a bit longer than needed, as I over-estimated the potential for the thing to tip with a suit on it. The base is heavy enough to prevent tipping without the need for the added length.

I find that this dryer will dry my DUI TLS-350 Trilam drysuit w/Turbo soles overnight, even if it's completely wet from a good rinsing. (Which I do pretty often since it's so easy to dry it now!)

Was wondering if anyone from DUI had any thoughts on the advisabilty of using such a contraption?

* It's important to use a DC motor, ideally brushless, to avoid creation of ozone which will do a number on your suit's seals. AC fans and/or heat are to be avoided for sure!

Reactions: RJP
Anyone had pictures of this? None of the pictures are showing, I'm guessing since it's such an old post

I got a $15 mattress inflator (plug-in wall outlet style) and use a pvc pipe that's about 3/4 in in diameter and about 8 ft long that was lying around. Alternate pushing air into each boot, towards the end I zip up the back seal so it goes through the arms and neck. Pretty low-tech low-cost.

I got a $15 mattress inflator (plug-in wall outlet style) and use a pvc pipe that's about 3/4 in in diameter and about 8 ft long that was lying around. Alternate pushing air into each boot, towards the end I zip up the back seal so it goes through the arms and neck. Pretty low-tech low-cost.
Ok tys!

The issue of how to dry a drysuit comes up often, and there are various approaches that are recommended. Everything from hanging, turning inside out, commercially made hangers (some with fans) to electric boot dryers rigged to take on a full drysuit.

Other folks prefer to take on the challenge themselves with a Home Depot credit card, a box saw, and a half-hour of spare time!

DSD-3.jpg

Everything is glued except for the two long "leg" pieces, which simply pop in/out of place. This makes putting the suit on the dryer quite easy as you can simply slide these two pieces into the suit and then mount the suit onto the rest of the dryer.

The fan is a DC brushless* "high flow" type from Radio Shack, coupled to a 12v DC adapter, attached to the "open" end of one of the feet of the dryer:

DSD-1.jpg

The fan is set to blow IN to the dryer. With the entire unit sealed, the only way for the air to move is up into the feet and out through the holes drilled into the ends of the leg pieces:

DSD-2.jpg

The air then travels down the legs, torso, and out through the open zipper carrying moisture out of the suit.

The fan is nearly silent, but moves a surprising amount of air. I set it up "blowing in" instead of "sucking out" to avoid pulling moist air through the fan. The front parts of the base are a bit longer than needed, as I over-estimated the potential for the thing to tip with a suit on it. The base is heavy enough to prevent tipping without the need for the added length.

I find that this dryer will dry my DUI TLS-350 Trilam drysuit w/Turbo soles overnight, even if it's completely wet from a good rinsing. (Which I do pretty often since it's so easy to dry it now!)

Was wondering if anyone from DUI had any thoughts on the advisabilty of using such a contraption?

* It's important to use a DC motor, ideally brushless, to avoid creation of ozone which will do a number on your suit's seals. AC fans and/or heat are to be avoided for sure!
Hi there - looking for a DIY solution to dry a drysuit and your post looks very interesting. Unfortunately the photos are no longer included in the post, so just in case checking if you might still have them :)

Back
Top Bottom