California diving: regional stay home order

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichaelMc

Working toward Cenotes
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any thoughts from those local to the Bay or California on the healthy and safe exercise of diving within the new restrictions.

For those not familiar, California regions face new state restrictions if the remaining intensive care unit capacity in the region falls below 15%. Much of the state is expected to be there in a week on so on current trends. Most counties in the Bay region decided to trigger the restrictions early instead of waiting. The restrictions mean being in close contact with only your household except for essential activities and doing those with a face covering, and distance limits on travel or facing quarantine.

Right now Monterey, within the Bay region, is not under the new order restrictions.
Health | Monterey County, CA,
As Bay Area closes to slow COVID-19, Monterey Co. weighs its options

For diving, a light reading of the restrictions suggests:

- Buddies from separate households looks problematic. A pair of friends from different households going hiking is excluded from the approved recreation methods under the new guidelines, or doing several other example activities.
- Buddies within a household seems great.
- Solo seems good, physically distanced from any others at the same beach, no congregating outside your household there. Properly trained, experienced, equipped, and done conservatively.

- Dive shops are able to be open as retail with capacity restrictions. Whether solo and same household buddies make that economical seems questionable.
- Boats for sport fishing seem closed. I imagine Scuba ones are as well.

- Shore diving sites are mostly roads or city parks that might stay open, San Carlos Beach.
- Some state parks are closing, so Lobos might.
- Monterey is within two hours of much of the Bay, so local-ish under the current discussion of exercise and recreate locally. It is under the 150 mile limit for quarantine, though it is a few counties away.

- I have not read carefully to see how outdoor classes fair. Particularly those where exhalation filtering masks are fairly challenging, being inches from the water line or submerged, outside of those rebreather classes with full comms that stay on the loop.
- The Santa Clara FAQ lists water safety and swimming classes as approved with restrictions. Presumably, as toleration of one risk to reduce another risk. I'm not sure that a Scuba class falls under water safety.

- On masks, the Santa Clara FAQ (as a proxy for finding the Monterey rules) reiterates earlier guidance of using a face-covering within 6' of others. It reiterates that coverings with an exhale valve are discouraged as ineffective. So while not very helpful for those you pass, walking from car to water on your second stage is likely compliant.

Santa Clara County's implementation references various quarantine rules if you've traveled more than 150 miles. I mention theirs just because I found their's, they have a detailed FAQ covering sports, and did not see that they were adding anything extra to the state rules.
Public Health Order Frequently Asked Questions - Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) - County of Santa Clara

Also, "Under the revised State Guidance, everyone must wear a face covering at all times when they are outside their home, with only a few exceptions." They also discuss that neck gators, one way exhale valves, and face shields alone are not effective mitigations.
Public Health Order Frequently Asked Questions - Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) - County of Santa Clara

To be clear: I'm wondering how to or if we can go diving, but wearing an exhale and inhale filtering mask, physical distancing, avoiding crowded places, washing hands, not touching our face, and helping our health professionals and population survive this are crucial. As we've been told for many months now.

Sorry for the length. This started with just the first bit, but then I found more references that might help people.

More References:
The state order:
https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/12.3.20-Stay-at-Home-Order-ICU-Scenario.pdf

https://covid19.ca.gov/stay-home-except-for-essential-needs
"Members of the same household are encouraged to maintain physical and mental health by safely going to a park, a beach, hike, walk, or bike ride with members of their own household."
"Stay in your county if you can. Don’t drive more than 2-3 hours."

The new lockdown: What you need to know (SFChronicle pay link, supporting local journalism)

ETA: Notes on masks, water safety classes, reorder bullets.

As of today, Dec. 9, Monterey Co. is planning to implement Newsom’s stay at home order on Dec. 13 at 10:00pm through January 11. See the order here:

https://www.gov.ca.gov/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/12.3.20-Stay-at-Home-Order-ICU-Scenario.pdf

The order isn’t specific to each county. each county has there own specific info. We know from earlier this year, most, if not all, city, county and state beaches were open only to active recreational activities such as walking/running, surfing, swimming and diving. I’ve haven’t heard of any shift from that thinking in this area, yet. I believe it was around July 4, many beaches were closed for a few days. So who knows.
What we do know, is Covid spreads when an infected person, symptomatic or not, comes into contact with others and infects them. The question isn’t about “can I go and do” (fill in the blank), It’s about should I put myself at health risk, or risk the health of those around me? It’s all risk management. I can choose my risk tolerance, and I don’t feel good about exceeding the tolerance of others, so I don’t.
But hey, if you wanna get 10,000 of your best pals and go protest somewhere? Game on!

Many (most?) things that are legal are not good ideas. Farting in elevators is legal. From a safety standpoint, I consider any shared airspaces on the trip down, bathroom use, gearing up, entry/exit, fills, and food/drink. I think the biggest risk is the bathroom, honestly. Next is probably your discipline at staying separated from your buddy. I hate hate hate driving by myself, but now it's the only choice. Would you keep a large distance even if your buddy is walking slowly in front of you? Diving is inherently outdoors, you could maintain a huge amount of separation from your buddy until the moment you descend, so overall for me it's low on the risk scale and high on the benefit. On the other hand, the hospital load is streaking ever higher so I certainly could see the argument that one forgo optional low risk activities. Many people don't have the option to reduce their risk.

As far as the legal aspects, it does seem to be permitted, for now. I'm surprised they allow boat trips; that's a group of people in fairly close quarters (with very, very good ventilation, to be sure). I haven't been on a boat dive since this thing started and I certainly wouldn't now with case rates so high.

Report Shows Who's Getting Infected With COVID-19
Being in close contact with strangers outdoors is apparently not as dangerous as the Governor wants you to believe.
From the article:
Of those people testing positive and experiencing no symptoms of COVID, construction workers had the highest rate of positivity, far ahead of the next most frequently infected professions--food service workers, healthcare workers, and grocery store workers.
I don't understand your point, seems like construction workers and dive buddies share a risk profile: outdoors and extended contact with one person. In any case, this report, if you drill down, shows that construction workers also get tested far less frequently. There are only 529 tests of construction workers and 53K for food service. I'd have to guess that the sampling bias makes it impossible to use these data to determine the relative risks between different types of exposures. I happen to agree with you that outdoor exposure is dramatically less riskier, something like a 95% reduction in risk, but these data don't seem to show that either way. Also, unless you have evidence that someone is lying, you might choose not to assume malice.

Let's keep this California thread on details of safely diving within the restrictions however they stand. Or not diving if we personally feel the risks and infrastructure do not support it.

There are other places to debate the problems of inexact measures with incomplete data within an imperfect system and a population with varying levels of attention.

I worry about restrooms the most. And being too casual about the divers gearing up next to me or hanging out indoors while getting fills. Pre-covid I was usually solo, so there is no nearby buddy to worry about. For me, I need to be disciplined about being on reg to and from the water and especially near others. It is a weak measure for protecting them but does protect me. And adding a mask to the bin I put under the car, instead of having to wait until I can finally dig out my key after shedding half my gear to get to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom