Non made in China wetsuits?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is your criteria USA, any "first world" location, or just "not China"?

I agree that we should all be avoiding products made anywhere with sub-par regulations for human rights and pollution. The negative externalities (not to mention low quality) are not worth the low MSRP.

I know some of the surf suit brands (eg. Patagonia) are a bit farther ahead on these issues than a lot of dive manufacturers, if that kind of suit is acceptable for the diving you do.

Why would anyone buy a wet suit on line without actually trying it?

1. Because your LDSs may not carry the wetsuit brand you want to buy.
2. Your LDS carries the brand, but the model you want is not in stock, and the order/shipping time is longer than you want to wait for a wetsuit.
3. Your LDS carries the brand, but the cost differential is too extreme, and the LDS won't budge on the price.
4. It is easy to return/replace a wetsuit purchase if it does not fit. This is especially true when dealing with a company like Leisure Pro.

These are just the first reasons that popped into my mind because I have had to use online vendors for wetsuits, but I'm sure there are many other reasons.

Why would anyone buy a wet suit on line without actually trying it?
I've bought my last six or so wetsuits online. Give your height and weight and they give a pretty good fit.
Same in a shop. The only way around that is custom made, but that would only be if you're unusually tall and thin and or short and ....thick?
Mako and Yazbeck were no problem online.

Love mine!..you have anything against KIWIS? :)

Sharkskin

Yup Sharkskin makes some nice stuff but sadly they don't make a proper wetsuit. You can also check out PROBE WETSUITS AUSTRALIA : SCUBA WETSUITS : DIVING WETSUITS : SNORKELLING WETSUITS : SPEARFISHING WETSUITS : WETSUIT UNDERGARMENTS Another small Aussie wetsuit company out of Victoria. I think there still made in country. They make very very nice wetsuits and were considered one of the golden standards for wetsuits in Aus pre 4th element becoming the "cool" wetsuit to have I would say half the instructors in the Great Barrier Reef area were using Probe wetsuits.

The other one to check out is O'Three Custom Drysuits small UK company that is very very passionate about wetsuit and dry suits. I personally like there products the best. I own about 3 of there wetsuits. I am not sure if these are 100% made in the UK or not but I'm sure if you ask them they will tell you. Top notch customer service and products.

Also there is 4th element out of the UK but I'm almost 100% sure they have farmed out all there manufacturing to Thailand.

I think some of the SCUBAPRO wetsuits are made in Vietnam if that is acceptable. I purchased a Made in the USA Henderson Talon and I am very happy with it.

Attachments

• IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 66
Unfortunately, the naughty and nice list includes most of us.....
Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. Nowhere is perfect but there's a big difference between countries with somewhat-regulated manufacturing practices and countries where the use of literal slave labor and uncontrolled waste dumping is the norm. This stuff matters.

Back
Top Bottom