Use of non-O2 clean regulators for 50% deco mix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PM sent. O2 cleaning procedures if set up as a standard practice take no longer and cost maybe 50 cents more for o2 compatible lube and gloves for reg service.
Even if the kit does not come with o2 compatible orings, using the same procedure is just good practice as far as cleaning, reducing the risk of contamination, and keeping things organized.

So then where are a lot of Regulator's listed as regs come clean for below 40% o2. All o-rings and lubes are viton and o2 ready.

What exactly does this mean then, you have to take your brand new reg to be serviced or if I put it straight on an O2 bottle, I am ok?

So then where are a lot of Regulator's listed as regs come clean for below 40% o2. All o-rings and lubes are viton and o2 ready.

What exactly does this mean then, you have to take your brand new reg to be serviced or if I put it straight on an O2 bottle, I am ok?
It depends on the mfg. You often don't know as a consumer if the reg has O2 compatible orings and if O2 compatible lube was used unless the mfg specifies it was like HOG does. HOG 1st stages are O2 clean out of the box. I've seen divers take ScubaPro regs out of the box and put them on an O2 deco bottle. Others insisted the shop clean it. Another shop told people if they wanted a deco reg they'd have to pay extra for a service. Or buy the O2 clean version of whatever mfg they carried.
Every reg is clean for 40% and below. That is not a feature. That's a marketing gimmick statement. Under 40% the partial pressure of O2 will not be high enough to risk a fire.

I don’t know how you use all viton orings in a first stage if they don’t come that way in a service kit. Do you replace them with the hopefully same size Viton oring?

It depends on the mfg. You often don't know as a consumer if the reg has O2 compatible orings and if O2 compatible lube was used unless the mfg specifies it was like HOG does. HOG 1st stages are O2 clean out of the box. I've seen divers take ScubaPro regs out of the box and put them on an O2 deco bottle. Others insisted the shop clean it. Another shop told people if they wanted a deco reg they'd have to pay extra for a service. Or buy the O2 clean version of whatever mfg they carried.
Every reg is clean for 40% and below. That is not a feature. That's a marketing gimmick statement. Under 40% the partial pressure of O2 will not be high enough to risk a fire.

Presently I have 3 HOG 1st stages, 4 second stages, and 2 Atomic M1 1st and 2nd stages. Seriously considering selling the M1's and buying 2 or more HOGs for my O2, and other future bottles. If HOG 1st stages are O2 clean, how much real work need to go intot he 2nds to get them cleaned?

I am enrolled in a regulator class setup for March (probably), be nice to just run 1 repair type. Would you know where I could get a couple junk HOG Regulators to practice on? I figure they can not be much harder then the old Rochester QuadraJet on Camaro.

Presently I have 3 HOG 1st stages, 4 second stages, and 2 Atomic M1 1st and 2nd stages. Seriously considering selling the M1's and buying 2 or more HOGs for my O2, and other future bottles. If HOG 1st stages are O2 clean, how much real work need to go intot he 2nds to get them cleaned?

I am enrolled in a regulator class setup for March (probably), be nice to just run 1 repair type. Would you know where I could get a couple junk HOG Regulators to practice on? I figure they can not be much harder then the old Rochester QuadraJet on Camaro.
Second stages do not need to be oxygen cleaned.

I dont believe for the most part that there is a legit reason for the O2 limit. on a brand new tank with no valve on it. The sticker says it is good for up to 40%. It will never be cleaner than when it was made. I dont for a minute believe that because it got shipped with a no valve ( but instead a plug in the threads) that is is not good for > 40%. ?????

What does the manufacture recommend? There are REASONS why a manufacturer will only rate a reg at 40%, 50%, 80% etc. It is usually in the engineered design, materials made from and intended use.

If you want a reg that uses EAN 50...get one rated for it.

LOL, you missed the real reason manufacturers recommend 40%.

The opportunity to sell you an “oxygen” regulator

2nd stages do not need to be O2 cleaned as has been said, but when I teach the HOG class we treat the 1sts and 2nds the same. Gloves, rinsing, washing, etc. It's not just for O2 use but the procedures result in general cleanliness and reduction in contamination that could affect sealing surfaces.
What HOG 1st stages do you have? I keep a few of them around for classroom regs. Usually, those that have been damaged by ham-handed people who did not know or disregarded the torque specs. I generally don't like students to tear down regs that are new. I've told them to wait for the class until their regs actually are in the time frame that service would be called for.
Even then, if their regs don't need a rebuild, we use the classroom regs and I'll have one or two of mine that do need a rebuild and do the adjustments on those. Saves them from having to pay for extra kits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom