Porpoise- The regulator that revolutionised diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fibonacci

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Issue #96 Spring 2020 of HDS Australia-Pacific’s magazine Classic Diver has an article by Jeff Maynard on Ted Eldred and the development of the Porpoise regulator that Scubaboard members may find interesting?
In depth 1997 interview with Ted and full 3D CAD renderings of the Porpoise!
Article reproduced in full with kind permission of the author, (c) HDS A-P 2020

Attachments

• Ted Eldred:Porpoise.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 260
The first dive rig I dived was made by Ted Eldred in1968, inventor of the Porpoise two stage, single hose regulator
A diver in the Australian Navy [Reserve] . .
Read it, he was "ripped off".

From a technical point of view I am amazed how mechanically complex this regulator was.
My currents regs (SP MK5+109) are made of a much smaller number of parts, and operate in a much more basic way.
This guy was definitely a genius.
Really a pity that La Spirotechnique did not "buy" also him altogether with his small company...
This remembers me a similar history of the inventor of the Pilot, who also was substantially ripped of his invention.

He reverse engineered patents, part time, for a living and then got ripped off. I'm not diminishing what he accomplished, but when I say it out loud it has an interesting ring to it.

He reverse engineered patents, part time, for a living and then got ripped off. I'm not diminishing what he accomplished, but when I say it out loud it has an interesting ring to it.
From what I did understand he was not "reverse engineering" patents, he was "circumventing" patents. There should be nothing to "reverse engineer" in a patent, as a patent is a public document which explicitly describes as a newly-invented apparatus operates, with drawings and explicit technical explanations.
Patents serve three purposes:
1) disseminate knowledge (instead of keeping it secret) so that others can build upon it
2) protect the inventor from carbon-copies of his invention, lacking further inventive steps, and ensuring him some economical value, for a limited number of years (usually 20) as a compensation for the knowledge that he developed and that he accepted to disclose publicly
3) stimulate innovation, so other inventors will create different ways of accomplishing the same goal
So Ted Eldred was exploiting the goal n. 3) above. A noble goal!
And this effectively resulted in a big innovative step, which could have also been patented, if he had enough money.
The whole patent system, while noble in its original conception (outlined here), was later flawed by increasing costs for filing and maintaining patents, making it unsustainable for people without relevant economical resources.
Do you remember the patent on telephone, claimed by mr. Bell, despite the previous patent application filed by Meucci, but left expiring for lack of money for paying the patent office fee?
here the story: Bell did not invent telephone, US rules
In my view, filing a patent should be free, and its worldwide extension should be automatic, and done by the government which issues the first national patent.
On the other side, patents should be granted only for really relevant innovative steps: I wonder how in the US it was possible, say, to patent successfully the XOR logical operator, or some "magic numbers". And even the DNA code of portions of human genoma...
Sorry for going slightly off topic...

Man your diagrams add a few extra spheres to an article like this
Magnificent!

As a congrats I share my beloved photo of your favorite patinated regulator

full.jpg

Big hugs and keep on keeping on, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom