Subaru Outback ( ~2019 2.5 vs 3.6)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barnaby'sDad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Looking at getting a Subaru Outback. I’ve driven two...a 2.5 premium and a 3.6 limited. I liked both, but I liked the 3.6 more. For anyone that has one or the other...what are your thoughts? The perks of the 3.6 seem to be less engine noise in the cabin and more power (duh). Any buyers remorse after going one way or the other?

Supply wise....there’s just not a lot of 3.6’s around. There’s a bunch of 2.5’s.

I have never felt like the 2.5 lacked for power. With the CVT trans it will still accelerate quite quickly. Averaging 30+ mpg (sometimes 34) on the highway doesn’t hurt either. To me, the 3.6 wasn’t worth the premium price.

That’s my main hangup with the 3.6. I’m not going to say that I don’t care about fuel economy, but I’m coming from a truck that averaged ~19 mpg. Any car is going to be a step up, economy wise.

I may just go do a longer back to back test ride this weekend and see if that helps.

As a reference point, I like going fast on my snobby European sportbike on the street and track.

And I like going fast in my snobby European sportscar on the street.

I think the Subaru’s 2.5 is plenty powerful enough in competitive traffic and I dig the fuel range.

I have never felt like the 2.5 lacked for power. With the CVT trans it will still accelerate quite quickly. Averaging 30+ mpg (sometimes 34) on the highway doesn’t hurt either. To me, the 3.6 wasn’t worth the premium price.

What he said!

I have the 2.5 and never wished I’d bought the 3.6. Not once.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom