Subaru Outback ( ~2019 2.5 vs 3.6)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I’’m being honest...the odds are extremely low that I’ll hang onto it long enough for that to be a concern. I don’t see it failing inside of 100,000 miles or so, so I should be fine. If it does fail...I would just sort a junkyard replacement instead of repairing the original transmission.

If you wait a year or two you will probably see subaru migrate away from the cvt transmission. The cvt design seems to cycle/rotate through the various auto manufacurers every handful of years.

In 2012 and 2013 one could hardly find a anything but a cvt in jeep's lineup but in 2014 chrysler seemed to drop that design like a hot potato....same as other manufacturers did before them.

-Z

Coming from a Ram 1500. It’ll be my primary/commuter vehicle for now. My intent is to get a new truck in another year or two and keep this to commute with.

Lots of traffic in my area (eastern Virginia). I’ll never get another manual commuter vehicle (my last was a ‘13 Jetta TDI).

Minimal travel through steep grades. If that was going to be my norm...from what I’ve read...I wouldn’t do the 2.5.

There’s a significant price difference and availability difference between the engine options. I have my pick of miles, color, and package for the 2.5. For the 3.6...there’s only three for sale in a 100+ mile radius with under 40,000 miles.

With work...I’m busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest. I’ll be lucky if I get in one real/legit dive trip next year. I’ll likely be lucky to get in a once a month trip to the quarry, in which case...I’ll just rent tanks, which significantly cuts down on weight.

The only back seat passenger will be my dog.

Feature wise...for purchasing...I’m doing an apples to apples comparison (2.5 limited to 3.6 limited), so that isn’t going to shape the decision.

I’m 6’3” or so. I don’t fit in a Tacoma. I almost bought a Frontier (much more roomy than a Tacoma), but I decided I didn’t want to pay close to $40k (lumbar adjustment only available in Pro4x) for a compromise truck.
Well, that seals it you're getting the 2.5 :) lol

I just looked at carmax with a 250 mile range out of Richmond. Like 30 available, good selection.

Coming from a ram to this will be... A change. Lol.

I went from a 98 tacoma to my 2010 foz when I bought it new. That was a change I missed tossing stuff in the bed. But liked that my groceries where inside when I went shopping. Lol.

If you wait a year or two you will probably see subaru migrate away from the cvt transmission. The cvt design seems to cycle/rotate through the various auto manufacurers every handful of years.

In 2012 and 2013 one could hardly find a anything but a cvt in jeep's lineup but in 2014 chrysler seemed to drop that design like a hot potato....same as other manufacturers did before them.

-Z
A jeep isn't a Subaru though.

Jeep is sold as the off road vehicle, well until the new bronco (drool). I can see how a cvt in a vehicle like that isn't a good long term plan.

My wife has a 2017 Outback with the 2.5 and loves it. Plenty of power for us as my Speed Racer days are behind me. The car is heavier and quieter than my 2014 Forester. Mileage runs in the high 20s. Good luck

Had a 17 with a 2.5. I traded it in after 7 months and 23k. It was using a quart of oil every thousand miles. Dealer said it was common and within spec. A quick Google will show how wide spread the issue is.

A jeep isn't a Subaru though.

Jeep is sold as the off road vehicle, well until the new bronco (drool). I can see how a cvt in a vehicle like that isn't a good long term plan.

From the way manufacturers move to and then away from cvt, one would get the impression that cvt is not a good long term plan in general.

-Z

Grom the way manufacturers move to and then away from cvt, one would get the impression that cvt is not a good long term plan in general.

-Z
Yeah, but subaru loves sticking with stuff that has weaknesses. Que boxer style engine blocks that are prone to head gaskets going poof.

Had a 17 with a 2.5. I traded it in after 7 months and 23k. It was using a quart of oil every thousand miles. Dealer said it was common and within spec. A quick Google will show how wide spread the issue is.

Why would that cause you to trade it in?

Mine burns through a quart in about 2,500 miles. I simply put in a quart between oil changes. No big deal.

Why would that cause you to trade it in?

Mine burns through a quart in about 2,500 miles. I simply put in a quart between oil changes. No big deal.
The gf's 18 OB doesn't need any oil added between changes...

I rarely fully change my oil because based on the ~1 qt per ~1K miles I am doing a constant oil change... I do change it every 10k miles just to change the filter - I use those filters that are supposed to last multiple oil changes....

Also, dealers will say many things. We've called subaru of America a few times to get issues resolved. One time was when the gf and her mom's foz's (both 07's) had the same fuel tank issue that required dripping the fuel tank and replacing the rollover sensor or something. The dealer said nope never heard of it, but there were multiple cases we found online. Anyway, SOA intervened and we only had to pay for the parts.

A buddy of mine had a oil problem like described on his foz when it was new, he called SOA. Long story short, they replaced his engine at no cost to him after ~6 months of in and out of the shop.

My wife has an Outback, when this one bites the dust she will likely get another. It's been a great car and there's a ton of cargo room. I had a Jeep Commander before my current truck and we would always end up taking her car on trips as there was more cargo space.

She has the 2.5. Hers is a 2012, I am not sure about the modern lineup but back then both the big and small engines also had the option of turbo or naturally aspirated. She has the NA engine, she has never complained about it but to me it needs a little more oomph. Not sure it would have been worth the upgrade price though.

CVT transmission - 140K miles with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom