Shark attack in Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That should answer most questions:

https://fb.watch/2skNQeI6ru/

Interesting video...

In summary they did not do much wrong, except: #1.: When Longis are around, one starts the dive at the S-plateau to see the longis, but it is better to end the dive somewhere else (but depending on the current, sometimes it is only possible to end the dive there), #2.: They overlooked the small one...
Good that at the end, this was, relatively, a close shave...

I believe that one can do everything wrong and the chance to get bitten by these sharks is still very small (as demonstrated every year by hundreds of divers). One can reduce this small risk substantially to a fraction by the right behaviour, but diving with the longis is never relaxed and without a risk...

Wolfgang

Watch out for Tiger Sharks too. You need to have your head on a swivel and either have big rock behind you or your buddy on your back looking at the other side or constantly be on the look out to the blue when you are swimming along a wall. This happened to me last week in Cocos.

I happen to film a Marbled Ray swimming towards me while I was swimming along a wall (on my left shoulder) in Submerged Rock. It started to veer and descent to the blue to avoid something, when I looked out to my right, my eyes locked in right on the Tiger Shark eyes a few feet away from me. It then clamly swam away, while my heart was pounding as if it wanted to jump out of my chest.

On the second occasion , we were dug in Manuelita Outside crevices with our back against the wall, in a poor visibility and cloudy morning, when a big mama Tiger Shark coming all of a sudden from no where and turned to our right side in a few feet away from us.

Watch out for Tiger Sharks too. You need to have your head on a swivel and either have big rock behind you or your buddy on your back looking at the other side or constantly be on the look out to the blue when you are swimming along a wall. This happened to me last week in Cocos.

I happen to film a Marbled Ray swimming towards me while I was swimming along a wall (on my left shoulder) in Submerged Rock. It started to veer and descent to the blue to avoid something, when I looked out to my right, my eyes locked in right on the Tiger Shark eyes a few feet away from me. It then clamly swam away, while my heart was pounding as if it wanted to jump out of my chest.

On the second occasion , we were dug in Manuelita Outside crevices with our back against the wall, in a poor visibility and cloudy morning, when a big mama Tiger Shark coming all of a sudden from no where and turned to our right side in a few feet away from us.

Cool Video, what do you like better the Paralenz or GP?

Reactions: Dan
Cool Video, what do you like better the Paralenz or GP?

GP gives a better video quality. Adding video lights, you get a cool video (for me at least). The big mama Tiger Shark shot at the 2nd half of the video was shot by Paralenz. You can compare it with the first half of the video, shot by GP.

Paralenz is very handy. It’s small enough (about the size of 2 C-size batteries in tandem) to slip it in your wetsuit sleeve under your wrist. It has built-in program to read depth & temperature and adjust the red filter accordingly. So it’s built for video shooting with natural light (without needing video light). My buddy was pissed at me when I tried to give him some video light during shooting and ended up messing up his video footage (I think it ended up a dark video). If you are going to dive in rough sea & extreme current (> 2 knots), use the Paralenz.

It was a large female tiger shark at Manuelita that killed that lady diver in recent years. Do I recall correctly, one around 15 feet long maybe? I know some people learn to identify individual sharks by their markings. Don't know how workable that is with tiger sharks.

Do the guides know that shark on sight? Do they know if it's still around? If so, do they mention 'who' it is if it's sighted on a dive?

Just think hearing 'Oh, yes, that one killed somebody' after seeing one on a dive would interesting...and a whole other level of creepy.

It was a large female tiger shark at Manuelita that killed that lady diver in recent years. Do I recall correctly, one around 15 feet long maybe? I know some people learn to identify individual sharks by their markings. Don't know how workable that is with tiger sharks.

Do the guides know that shark on sight? Do they know if it's still around? If so, do they mention 'who' it is if it's sighted on a dive?

Just think hearing 'Oh, yes, that one killed somebody' after seeing one on a dive would interesting...and a whole other level of creepy.

The one below did a flyby over the head of a diver there in August 2018 (a few months after the incidents). It's huge and it has a scratch mark on its right upper jaw. You can see its eye rolled up and ready to bump test you, but the guy ducked under it just in time.

Tiger Shark Bernhard Klein.jpg

The one below did a flyby over the head of a diver there in August 2018 (a few months after the incidents). It's huge and it has a scratch mark on its right upper jaw. You can see its eye rolled up and ready to bump test you, but the guy ducked under it just in time.

View attachment 631275

I have to say, that tiger in the photo doesn't look like 15 feet. Once they hit about 12 feet they really start bulking out; having a big mama swim over you amidst a bunch of reef sharks is like that scene in The Empire Strikes Back when Vader's flagship appears. The second one in your video is in that size class.

For reference, the bait crate in the first pic is the drum from a commercial washing machine.

_9201077.JPG vlcsnap-2016-11-20-11h29m32s882.jpg vlcsnap-2016-11-20-13h11m53s582.jpg

This is an estimated 13-ft tiger off Florida:

_5310322.JPG

As far as IDs, the most reliable way is to look at the demarcation line where the gray flank meets the white belly. Scars are hard to work with because sharks, especially older ones, do get dinged up across the board; I've seen multiple tigers with similar hook injuries at the corners of the mouth. They also generally heal pretty well from anything except fin damage or something that really gouges out tissue; last year in FL some folks got a photo series of a lemon shark recovering from what looked like a shotgun blast to the head that exposed the inside of the skull.

Why is there a BC with tank laying in the bottom?

What happened to the diver who was wearing it?

Back
Top Bottom