Lost Shearwater(s) - Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, but SW could implement something that cross checks the SN anytime you log into the cloud against a list of stolen SN.
Apple ‘bricks’ and ‘tracks’ phone vanishing from their stores. That’s why they are so easy to play with in the stores.
At the end of the day, having mechanisms that brick the device usually ends up with an anti-consumer slant to it. People should be very careful about trusting companies with that power. Read up on a few Apple right-to-repair horror stories. IF one really wanted that kind of feature, I'd suggest a password to turn it on and use it after a battery swap (displaying contact details / startup text), that can be reset with a firmware wipe.

That aside, I friggin hate Ginnie Springs for that reason. During some training I camped there overnight, started training the next morning. Literally a $30 cheapo Walmart tent and a $20 inflatable mattress disappeared within 6 hours of being left alone (thankfully didn't leave anything else).. Asked two young ladies where my tent was and their reply was "we saw some guys packing it up this morning, asked if we could have the camping spot". Searched the campground, asked staff, no dice.

At the end of the day, having mechanisms that brick the device usually ends up with an anti-consumer slant to it. People should be very careful about trusting companies with that power. Read up on a few Apple right-to-repair horror stories. IF one really wanted that kind of feature, I'd suggest a password to turn it on and use it after a battery swap (displaying contact details / startup text), that can be reset with a firmware wipe.

That aside, I friggin hate Ginnie Springs for that reason. During some training I camped there overnight, started training the next morning. Literally a $30 cheapo Walmart tent and a $20 inflatable mattress disappeared within 6 hours of being left alone (thankfully didn't leave anything else).. Asked two young ladies where my tent was and their reply was "we saw some guys packing it up this morning, asked if we could have the camping spot". Searched the campground, asked staff, no dice.

I wouldn't want it like Apple has it... I just meant it could be "tracked ".. I don't know, maybe you yourself could log into and see where it's at based off of when it connected to the cloud?

I do not want apple anything.

I just meant it could be "tracked "
I do not want apple anything.
Yeaaaahh. Nah. Nope.

Semi-joke aside - that's not feasible for a number of reasons. Doing so would A) require a GPS, B) require some form of internet access, C) require some serious battery drain and computational power for A and B. That'd cost a lot for a feature that, again, is bad for a number or reasons.

At best, you'd really want a feature that makes the hardware useless to anyone but you, the owner. And even then, you don't want that feature. Ya just don't.

I mean, at what point is a thief going to look at a shiny dive computer on a table and recognize it as something worthless on the market?
"Drat! Confounded mistress of chance! It's one of the dreaded Shearwaters! Curse your Teutonic preparedness!"
upload_2020-12-22_19-21-2.png

Yeaaaahh. Nah. Nope.

Semi-joke aside - that's not feasible for a number of reasons. Doing so would A) require a GPS, B) require some form of internet access, C) require some serious battery drain and computational power for A and B. That'd cost a lot for a feature that, again, is bad for a number or reasons.

At best, you'd really want a feature that makes the hardware useless to anyone but you, the owner. And even then, you don't want that feature. Ya just don't.

What I would like is for op to get his stuff back... that's all.

I get it, I wouldn't want any of that crap either. If a dive computer was "tracked" and it stored the gps location when you synced with the phone, or the serial # recorded as stolen....

Really just spitballing...none of that stuff would happen anyway, and at the end of the day...some people take shiny stuff because its shiny, so still a chance it could have happened even with all the hypothetical "stuff".

We have written it off as lost at this point. It’s nice to know so many divers care and do the right thing. I appreciate at all the help and ideas. You guys are the best.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom