PADI Mermaid Program - WTH??!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because, for some reason, los of people here seem to hate PADI. I guess that they fail to realize that PADI (and SSI, NAUI, etc.,) is a business trying to make money. Personally, the mermaid certs seems pretty silly to me - but, obviously, there is a market for them or these programs would not exist. More power to the agencies if they can make money and provide a service that some people desire - it has zero impact on me or my wallet!
Exactly!

I admit that initially I laughed at lot of specialties and distinctive specialties. My Open Water course was done from a boat, so was my AOW and the same for Rescue. A Boat Diver specialty? Seriously?
And years later, with a few thousand dives in my logbook, I started to teach. And that's when you realise that a lot of those specialties are actually beneficial to some divers. They do learn new skills.

When I certify a student for OW, that student will learn nothing during PPB because he or she has proper buoyancy control. But a student might show up, who doesn't master buoyancy skills. And they would benefit from that course, so I'd teach it.

On the other hand, it is obviously a fact that some divers feel the urge to ridicule specialty courses, especially when it's PADI related. So feel free to ridicule several of the distinctive specialties that I also offer.

Bottom touching
Specialty course for divers that received training from the better instructors and were used to being neutrally buoyant from confined lesson one. To better understand why kneeling down on the bottom is still such a hot and returning topic on Scubaboard, you should really take this course!
Academic
You'll plan your learning path with your instructor by choosing from a long list of Scubaboard topics. There are two required topics (explained and pointed out during the course) and are essential for answering the knowledge reviews.
You will learn about bottom composition, and the most effective ways to create long lasting silt-outs.
Prerequisites & Requirements
Age Requirement: 10 years or older
Course Prerequisites: Open Water Diver / Junior Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification)
Time Commitment: Approximately 4-5 hours
Certification
bottomtouching.png

Buddy Stabbing
Especially with the incidents in the Red Sea over the last couple of years with the notorious Longimanus, this specialty course will teach you all the skills to successfully distract a shark and make it back onto the boat safely. Don't underestimate this course, as the passing rate is usually around 50%.
Academic
You'll plan your learning path with your instructor by looking at the various options for shark diving. Travel and boat fees are not included in the course price.
Age Requirement: 18 years or older
Course Prerequisites: Advanced Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification) and a buddy
Time Commitment: Approximately 10-12 hours excluding travel
Dive equipment: Dive knife and backup dive knife. Trilobytes and/or rope cutters are not allowed.
Certification
buddystabbing.png

DCD
Similar to the DSD program, we offer a DCD program: Discover Cave Diving. Ever dreamed of flying through underground tunnels, filled with crystal clear water? Even if you don't have the time, money or equipment for the many hours of cave training, we can make that dream come true by taking you on a memorable experience through a deep cave far beyond the cavern zone.
Academic
No special academics are required, as the instructor will drag you through the cave, just like on a DSD cattle program. You only have to breathe in, breathe out and enjoy the ride.
Course Prerequisites: Advanced Open Water Diver (or qualifying certification) and Drysuit specialty. Cavern specialty recommended.
Time Commitment: Approximately 1-2 hours excluding travel
Dive equipment: the DCD experience includes a set of doubles and divelight. Bring your own mask, fins and drysuit.
Certification
DiscoverCaveDiving.png

God Complex
Looking for that next step after getting your instructor certification? You can do it and the most fantastic part is that you don't have to go from a four letter agency to a three letter agency! The instructors that successfully pass this course, will be welcomed in the highest ranks of Dive Gods, where we will look down on the gods under evaluation with a smile on our face.
Academic
You'll plan your learning path with your instructor by choosing from a long list of Scubaboard topics. Mandatory chapters are the DIR Wars.
Course Prerequisites: Open Water Scuba Instructor (or qualifying certification) or higher.
Time Commitment: Approximately 10-12 hours
Certification
godcomplex.png

If I see a Mermaid training program from GUE then I’ll know the whole industry has lost its mind.

Seriously. It’s a MERMAID training program WITH 7 LEVELS! How is that not absurd?!

if it helps I’m soon to be an expired PADI Pro. So don’t worry about reporting me for mocking their latest program. :wink:

Admittedly, it does seem a lot. :) However, our friends at SSI have had the following for a while so PADI is playing catch-up:

Try Mermaid, Mermaid, Mermaid Explorers, Ocean Mermaid, Model Mermaid, Mermaid Instructor, Mermaid Specialty Instructor, Mermaid Instructor Trainer

I'm more intrigued about the business opportunity here that the agencies are recognizing exists, such as expanding what dive centres or instructors can do with their existing confined water resources or for aquatic centres and swim clubs to offer more programs to draw members using the PADI logo.

I can't blame PADI for wrapping certification, performance requirements, and instructing standards on anything with their name on it. They may as well leverage what they have built for their scuba, tech, or freediving arms because they're a juicy target for liability if they put out a half-assed effort and bad things happen.

There are established mermaid schools, so I'm interested to see how they react to the entry of PADI and the other agencies - will they continue with their own standards, embrace the agency programs, or both? Will we all coexist peacefully like scuba? <cough>

SSI, NAUI, and the entire world of mermaiding have now gotten a shot of awareness and search engine boost thanks to PADI.

... the entire world of mermaiding

Something I had no clue was an actual thing. That has a lot to do with my amazement at the program. I mean is this a new hobby? Mermaiding? I guess I just don’t get it. The concept of it.

One of the DM's at my LDC was heavily into this. She spent the equivalent of $3,500 on a tail fin. :acclaim:
I know someone who does (above water) modeling as a mermaid. She just got a new tail, which seems like a pretty big deal. No idea how much hers was.

Something I had no clue was an actual thing. That has a lot to do with my amazement at the program. I mean is this a new hobby? Mermaiding? I guess I just don’t get it. The concept of it.
I would also not have known about this had I not have read the previous pro thread or this thread about this activity. I have a new respect for the Mermaids.

I definitely want to be a Master Chief Mermaid Instructor. Hopefully I have what it takes.

JimBlay:
Is this for real??? It's not April 1st otherwise I would assume it is a joke. WTF??!!!! . . . But seriously an entire separate training program with 4 student and 3 instructor levels??? I can't believe there is enough demand and enough jobs to warrant such a thing. That just seems absurd. . . . Seriously. It’s a MERMAID training program WITH 7 LEVELS! How is that not absurd?! . . . . If I see a Mermaid training program from GUE then I’ll know the whole industry has lost its mind.
Well, it’s a brave new world out there! :) Seriously, the better question to ask is probably, ‘How is it absurd?’, rather than ‘How is it not absurd’. Why would GUE involvement be a reason to conclude the whole industry has lost its mind? Why wouldn’t it instead be an indication that the industry is actually aware of what people want to do, and is responding to demand.

It doesn’t harm the environment, it doesn’t take anything away from the pleasure of diving for others, it promotes an awareness of the beauty of the underwater world, it provides an outlet for people to enjoy being in the water, to express their artistic instincts. Is there something absurd about that?

I listened to a particularly interesting dive club presentation several years ago, about scuba diving with a monofin. Now, I understand that the monofin is primarily a tool used in freediving (The Monofin). Nonetheless, I would really like to try scuba diving with one – I am just curious about the dynamics, about the enhancement of propulsion, etc. I would love it if more dive shops offered a ‘Discover Monofin’ experience. Is that absurd?

Should the existence of a Zombie Apocalypse Diver Distinctive Specialty be an indication that the industry has lost its mind? OK, I admit, when it first came out, I was a bit skeptical. But, I then looked at what is taught in the course. And, I have since talked to a number of people who spent good money to take the course. And, one thing that they all said was, ‘It was FUN!’ And, that is what diving should be about – people enjoying doing it. By the way, the innovator of the Distinctive Specialty seems to have done pretty well for himself in selling the materials, etc. And, dive shops that have offered it have capitalized on it and developed a new customer base. That is free enterprise at its very best. In an era when dive shops are closing, when diver certifications have plateaued overall (as younger people explore other avenues of enjoyment), we have found some ways of attracting new people to discover the wonder and beauty of the underwater world. Is there something wrong with that?

Should an individual who wishes to develop skills as a mime be considered to have lost their mind? How many mime ‘jobs’ are out there? Should a person who wants to become a puppeteer be considered to have lost their mind? How many puppeteer jobs are out there? If individuals who want to develop these skills seek competent, formal training, would you consider anyone who offers such training to have ‘lost their mind’?

I would like to pursue gunsmith training, not because I want to work as a gunsmith but because I want the knowledge and skill. That training is hard to come by, there is a waiting list to get into courses, and it is incredibly expensive. I wish that there was a PADI-like organization in the gunsmithing world, which would boost the availability of training opportunities, with standards and established curricula.

I have no personal interest in ‘mermaiding’. The videos I have seen of skilled ‘mermaids’ are impressive, they are frankly artistically beautiful, and the skill is amazing. As a PADI Instructor, I am neither ashamed nor embarrassed by PADI’s entry into the field. I am encouraged.

One of my former instructors wife used to also do snubs instruction for kids, followed by possible scuba instruction. It was a lot of physical work for not a lot of money. She switched to being a mermaid for a high end resort children’s program. A lot less physical work for more money.

Back
Top Bottom