4 Months in Prison for Breaking Quarantine in Cayman Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My point was that they reduced her sentence - to me, that sends the wrong message as this a-hole intentionally flouted a major public safety requirement that she agreed to comply with and knew could result in up to a $10K fine and 2 years - and then was upset/distressed when she got 25% of the fine and 17% of the jail time that they could have assigned.

Or upset that she has a sentence and it got changed on her?

Either way it's up to them, there country there laws. Break them at your own risk.

And that's what it boils down to.
Agreed - at least she didn't just get released as her family appeared to be lobbying for - I saw several sob stories in the news here quoting her family members about how she wasn't eating and was constantly crying: Boo hoo...

I struggle with your interpretation of "exponentially". Maybe the R value or reproduction factor is more meaningful. It's about 1 under the current conditions. On average, one person infects just another person. You can easily kill two or three humans with a car. Following your philosophy of exponential guilt, the very first human (probably Chinese) takes of all the blame for millions of dead. Does that make sense?

Agreed, cars and alcohol are no good example. Take HIV / AIDS. Two HIV negative persons having sex without condom = no offense. One person positive, but did not know that, having sex without condom: no offense. Being positively tested and aware of that, having sex without telling the other person about AIDS and no condom: Punishment is very likely, but no prison. Even if the other person gets HIV, prison is not always the consequence. Why do we treat two (potentially) deadly virus diseases so differently?

When the pestilence came over Europe, innocent people were sentenced to death for alleged witchcraft. Even in these dark era, the upper class (e.g. church and nobility, today we would say administration and government) knew that these victims were innocent. They accepted the mob law, because they had no means to stop the plague and they had to calm down the people. Same situation here, most people have wet pants and call for immediate actions that are not at hand.

treated differently because there are votes at stake in the US I believe Cali is decriminalizing knowingly spreading HIV with out informing the receiver.. I have no idea how anyone can say covid is spread 1 to 1 and that it does not have an exponential propogation. HOw many cases did we have int he country whenit was started. 1/2 THE COUINTRY POPULATION or but a dozen or so cases. I would agree that it is spread one on one per each transmission. that dies not preclude one person infecting dozens a day through dozens of contacts.

long ago when HIV hit the US we had all the initial sources ID's and could have locked them up. Groups cried human rights and international problems with confining foreigners. now look what happened. they refused to close down the bath houses and haunts where the carriers went to, The medical system did not cause the spreading the lawyers did. How many died from it but ""fortunately"" died a terrible death with their rights entact. We all know what essential workers are. essential to the community....... untill someone decides to redefine until it negates the use of the word at all. again look where we are now. the ;east problematic aspect of covid is the virus. The killer is the community that d0oes not care for others and roam the streets hang out as close quarter parties and clubs. They justify themselves because they are not in the fatal age groups. SOMEONE PASSED IT OT TEH AGE GROUPS. From there they play the legal game of they are not guilty until proven. You dont have to do a crime to go to jail. you can go to jail for attempting to do a crime.

long ago when HIV hit the US we had all the initial sources ID's and could have locked them up. Groups cried human rights and international problems with confining foreigners. now look what happened. they refused to close down the bath houses and haunts where the carriers went to, The medical system did not cause the spreading the lawyers did. How many died from it but ""fortunately"" died a terrible death with their rights entact. We all know what essential workers are. essential to the community....... untill someone decides to redefine until it negates the use of the word at all. again look where we are now. the ;east problematic aspect of covid is the virus. The killer is the community that d0oes not care for others and roam the streets hang out as close quarter parties and clubs. They justify themselves because they are not in the fatal age groups. SOMEONE PASSED IT OT TEH AGE GROUPS. From there they play the legal game of they are not guilty until proven. You dont have to do a crime to go to jail. you can go to jail for attempting to do a crime.

R factor is calculated backwards. You use existing data (number of people that have died or have been hospitalised) and then you estimate what the R factor is.

It represents how many people were infected by one person on average.

Several countries in Asia drug trafficking could mean death penalty.
I hope we also have that in HK!

She paid the price for breaking the quarantine what is wrong with that? Her own initial decision.
Not eating etc etc? Who care.
NO sympathy whatsoever.

No one ask you to travel to foreign country and and break its law. If you have other idea then expect to pay for the price.

R factor is calculated backwards. You use existing data (number of people that have died or have been hospitalised) and then you estimate what the R factor is.

It represents how many people were infected by one person on average.
I cant buy the result. after what was it 14 cases in the states and it has bloomed to what it is to day many PLACES ARE 1 IN THE MID 20'S THAT HAVE BEEN POSITIVE. The flaw in how your 1 on 1 thing is valid is ,, is that you are only looking at who has been killed or hospitalized. that is playing dow teh seriousness. in my area it is 1:21 tha is positive at some time. not effected to the point of death but effected none the less. Your R number is suggesting that the number of drunks on the road can be measured by booze related fatalities.

Every time a virus replicates, it mutates. Most mutations lead to an unviable form. Some mutations lead to a less dangerous form that spreads more easily. Some mutations lead to a more deadly version that doesn't spread well. Some lead to more deadly and easily spread. So, the strategy of locking up vulnerable people and letting healthy people go about their lives gives the virus many opportunities to mutate. Who knows if it'll lead to a deadly version that affects healthy people too? Or only young people, as some virii do? Or an inoculous version that lives in your nervous system and strikes when you're weaker?

Back
Top Bottom